1.    #1  
    I can't post to the webOS homebrew apps forum for some reason so I hope it's alright to ask this here. I installed "Where Is My Pre?" on my Pre but after being unable to access the website to register it, I discovered that it's defunct. Is there anything else like it? Thanks!
    I really hope someone has an answer. This is the ONE app I wished webOS had that every other platform has a plethora of. Before 1.4.5, we had a couple that worked good but have been MIA ever since. The author of Where is My Pre essentially stole a ton of money from people with the auto paypal drafts and from what I remember, the only way to be refunded was to put in a dispute with Paypal as the author has went completely silent.

Certainly one of the strangest postmortems of an app I think I've ever seen. The app worked extremely well and had a couple thousand "subscriptions" (at a monthly rate of $1, this turned out to be a great business model) but turned into almost a scam toward the end. He kept the registration site opened far after he stopped updating it, not to mention the app was broken after the 1.4.x update. He didn't respond to inquiries and even had another (even better) location app in the works that never saw an official release. I've been keeping an eye on any developments to this app and its author thinking someday we'd have an answer. Based on the initial popularity of the app, and the fact that at one time it was generating a couple thousand bucks a month, I've always found it strange no one else has come up with an alternative.
  3.    #3  
    That's quite a history. Thank you for saving me a lot of time looking for an alternative, Matt!
    did you try the free "Homing Beacon" homebrew app in Preware? as far as i know that one still works, and doesn't need an outside service.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/10/2012 at 07:30 PM.
  5.    #5  
    I can't find it in Preware. All I see is "Homing Device" and it seems to rely on text messages. (I'm don't have a service, just wifi.) And I still can't get Homebrew in fileCoaster v1.1.6 to work (it gives me "An error occurred... Exception: Failed while parsing, xml not found." Would "Homing Beacon" be in webOS Quick Install? Thanks!
    If "Homing Device" is still there, that should work too. It doesn't require 3G service or SMS text messaging either. You can set it communicate via instant messages too, which only need wifi. Just create a standard AIM account or something similar, and log into it with your device. Then you can set the preferences in Homing Device to work with that.

Btw, if you have a TouchPad, Homing Device will work nicely with that over wifi too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I really hope someone has an answer. This is the ONE app I wished webOS had that every other platform has a plethora of. Before 1.4.5, we had a couple that worked good but have been MIA ever since. The author of Where is My Pre essentially stole a ton of money from people with the auto paypal drafts and from what I remember, the only way to be refunded was to put in a dispute with Paypal as the author has went completely silent.

Certainly one of the strangest postmortems of an app I think I've ever seen. The app worked extremely well and had a couple thousand "subscriptions" (at a monthly rate of $1, this turned out to be a great business model) but turned into almost a scam toward the end. He kept the registration site opened far after he stopped updating it, not to mention the app was broken after the 1.4.x update. He didn't respond to inquiries and even had another (even better) location app in the works that never saw an official release. I've been keeping an eye on any developments to this app and its author thinking someday we'd have an answer. Based on the initial popularity of the app, and the fact that at one time it was generating a couple thousand bucks a month, I've always found it strange no one else has come up with an alternative.
    I sure wish someone would steal that app back and make it work ...!!