Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By somline
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Ok so first background, I am a pretty knowledgeable guy computer science degree lots of experience messing with phones etc. Last week I used a guide on here with meta doctor to update my pre+ on Verizon to 2.1 (I believe) everything went smooth and I installed a new kernel and govnah to run at 800mhz.

Yesterday I had left my phone on the charger all day because I had a 12 hr drive ahead of me and I wanted it charged fully before leaving I took it off and about an hour later I noticed I had no 3g the [EV] was not there so I tried going to airplane mode and back with no success. Then my phone drops from 60% to 0% battery. I then power off the phone through the shutdown menu normally (it didn't die) and I plug it up to my car charger. I looked a few minutes later because I assumed my phone would be on and instead it was alternating between the plug in sign (cord) the battery charging sign (batt with a red line) and a battery sign with a question mark [?]. I since have tried different chargers hooking it up to my computer and 2 other batteries. All with no success.

My cell phone is my main business line so this is URGENT I get this working. I have no backup phone though I have already just ordered one from ebay. Please help. When hooked up to straight charger it gives only battery charging sign (one red line) when hooked up to pc is alternates from one red line and question mark. Only with that first battery do I also get the cord symbol. When unhooked from a charger the screen goes black like it lost all power. I also disassembled down to antenna relay and I see no obvious signs of overheating or melting or anything. Also tried the paper trick on top of the battery to no avail.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/03/2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fixed typo in title - added paragraphs as they are our friend
    is it possible that your battery is shot? they only last about a year, and that phone has to be older than that...

The flashing question mark is probably indicating that it thinks you don't have a battery in the phone. Could be improperly seated, or could be unable to identify it due to a bad battery or bad contact...

I'm not very knowledgeable on getting 2.x on a Pre, but there are also posts around here about losing the ability to charge due to issues with the modem system, because that is what controls the charging process. I hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is it possible that your battery is shot? they only last about a year, and that phone has to be older than that...

The flashing question mark is probably indicating that it thinks you don't have a battery in the phone. Could be improperly seated, or could be unable to identify it due to a bad battery or bad contact...

I'm not very knowledgeable on getting 2.x on a Pre, but there are also posts around here about losing the ability to charge due to issues with the modem system, because that is what controls the charging process. I hope that helps.
    I tried a total of 3 batteries including the one that was already in it and the other 2 should have a charge on them already. I have charged it since the upgrade so unless that just spontaneously happens then I don't think that could be it. It also only does the flashing question mark when hooked up to a pc. Unless its with the first battery which alternates between the question mark, cord symbol and charging symbol, so that one very well could be shot but the other 2 aren't they are only a few months old.
    A defective/corrupt radio modem/firmware can have that effect.
    What you have told I don't think it's related to the battery.
    Unfortunately I'm no expert in that.
    You may ask GuyFromNam about it.

<edited by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/03/2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: not necessary
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Is it possibly to reflash that firmware soehow when it won't even connect to the pc?