webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > WebOS 2.2.4 on Palm Pre+ or Pre...
WebOS 2.2.4 on Palm Pre+ or Pre...
Like Tree77Likes

Old 12/26/2011, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Got a Palm Pre+ or Palm Pre... Want WebOS 2.2.4, thought it was only released on Pre2 and Pre3...

Why the new thread, next phase, Prime Time User installs... report on your results...

A script was created to do this, it is no longer rough... It is ready for prime time users to play with... Need users to test...

Follow this URL to install the meta-doctor application:
Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

WARNING BACKUP ALL FILES from your device, USB drive and application files and application data (save/restore), and anything else you wish to keep... going from 1.4.5/2.1.0 to 2.2.4 might erase the entire device including the USB drive and applications.... BACKUP DEVICE before Flashing...

Why? Real Skype over WIFI/Carrier, updated Browser 2.0 with Flash, Enyo, updated Bluetooth modules which have profiles like map (SMS sharing with touchpad), do I need to type any more...

Where is it at, well if you are Verizon latest build is on this page... Verizon, Sprint, Bell, and WR scripts are now added to meta-doctor list and are now at the current version...

What works, WebOS 2.2.4, boots, full features now... Rod reports USB drive is showing the right size, touchscreen is working, top bar is now working... Palm profile works and Rod even pulled down angry birds seasons. As this is based on a WebOS 2.1.0 build, App Catalog will work with WebOS 2.1.0 and above, for Sprint, Verizon, WR, and BELL script was tested and worked reports V1.4.0 to Palm Profile, when using the latest scripts it will report WebOS 2.2.4 with device info, but 2.1.0 to Palm Profile] Device should be reporting itself correctly... Camera, Sounds (MP3, Ringtones, and System Events), Skype are all working....

Preware knows it is 2.2.4, but does not allow the 2.1.0 kernels yet (shows PRE2/PRE3 variants)... Rod updated the Pre 2.1.0 Uber Kernel to work with webOS 2.1.0 or webOS 2.2.4, and also modified the Palm webOS 2.1.0 PrePlus Kernel (restore) to work with webOS 2.1.0, however as it returns all the kernel modules back to webOS 2.1.0 is will trash the current builds as they require the newer webOS 2.2.4 crypto modules to function (for DARE)...

Ok the next phase, now we got it to boot, we got full functionality... now it is time to test with prime time users...

Attached Current Build Version 35, and Modules.txt.zip for notes...

How to use, if you have Verizon use the test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 script, if you have any other carrier, you can use the scripts in the meta-doctor github list (they are at version 34)... or you can read below on how to modify the Verizon script to use on any carrier... to use on other devices:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post
John that looks like great work. If you need some one to test an UK/O2 pre+ (I currently have one siting wifi only that I don't mind messing with), i'd be happy to be a guinnea pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
How would I be able to modify this to try it on a Pre- ?
Change from Verizon
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=Verizon CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P101EWW

To Sprint
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=Sprint CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P100EWW

To Att
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=att CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P101UNA

To any WR Pre Plus or Pre remove the following carrier check but add the following model check as the build was designed for WR (now that I am using the Pre2 doctor one could also add their carrier, i.e. CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=O2, not sure if the WR doctor looks for all WR carriers)
remove: CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=Verizon
add: CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P100UNA,P100UEU,P101UNA,P101UEU

To Bellmo
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK=bell CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK=P100EWW CUSTOM_WEBOS_DMSET=393 CUSTOM_CARRIER_DMSET=398

New and Updated Super Script.... Why is it super... well Bring's back WebOS 2.1.0 You Tube app (because the new one is slow on the pre/pre+), WebOS 2.1.0 Maps renamed to Google Maps (which works, tested and starts with a white screen, but wait, it will show up...), and Motion Apps Classic Rom bits... Does it work? YES it has been tested and works great...

Why was it pulled before, Super Script needs to delete the new youtube app, Rod's Make file does not go thru the tar, but uses what was extracted, which, is the old WebOS 2.1.0 files, fix was to bring the new .control, .list, and .md5sums, and rename them to fix ROM verification issues, so You Tube app from WebOS 2.1.0 into WebOS 2.2.4... Works great...

There is also a Uber-Kernel build posted (search this thread and you will find, very old version), but it is not endorsed by Rod, and it is no longer stuck at reporting WebOS 2.1.0 build version, it reports WebOS 2.2.4 now, with Uber-Kernel by default...

Looking into the stability of the (Palm WebOS 2.1.0) Kernel...

Uber-Kernel or F105 Kernel is the better way to go, as it is more stable then the Stock WebOS 2.1.0 Kernel is, but I was hoping someone would do some Kernel magic, and download the Pre2 Kernel source and compile it for the Pre/PrePlus, this would give us the most stable platform... but until that day comes, we will have freezing issues... My initial theory (from looking at the Kernel messages) is that the CPU overheats and that is what is causing the issues, more people are reporting issues when they are connected to USB/TouchStone that it seems to lock up more... Or under heavy use, which heats up the CPU... Few have used Govnah to change the voltage of the 500Mhz using F105 from 1200 to 1225...

Not sure if anyone gets Uber-Kernel installed on Pre/Pre+, you can pull down the Kernel as it works with 2.1.0 or 2.2.4 now..., F105 still needs Palm-Build-Info changed then undo the changes to allow patches... Then please report, any Govnah settings and things that have made your Pre/PrePlus better...

Pushed all updated scripts (version 35) to github, Rod approved them...

Updated Scripts from meta doctor Application HP/Palm changed the Source URL.

For changes please review modules.txt.zip... (summary below)

Modules brought over (PrePlus) from webOS 2.1.0:
bootloader camd-omap34xx camsrc-omap34xx compcache kernel-dev kernel-image-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 pmwifidriver tisgxgfx

Modules removed (Pre2) from webOS 2.2.4:
camd-omap36xx camsrc-omap36xx tisgxgfx-roadrunner

Modules modified Palm-Build-Info and luna-prefs (mashed from webOS 2.2.4 and webOS 2.1.0) and trenchcoat (fstab md5 hash is fixed), novacomd (novacomd daemon is modified on the fly), and jail (jailer daemon is modified on the fly).

F105 Thunderchief replaces the following modules (although it does not update the .control/.list/.md5sums files):
kernel-dev kernel-module-scsi-wait-scan kernel-image-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 kernel-module-nbd kernel-module-pcbc

Uber-Kernel replaces the following modules (although it does not update the .control/.list/.md5sums files):
kernel-dev kernel-module-oprofile kernel-module-scsi-wait-scan kernel-image-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 kernel-module-ecb kernel-module-ifb kernel-module-nbd kernel-module-pcbc

Read the others.zip readme.txt to understand what that is for...
Attached Files
File Type: zip others.zip (7.4 KB, 486 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip modules.txt.zip (3.1 KB, 258 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip (4.5 KB, 178 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip (3.7 KB, 113 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by John Steffes; 07/14/2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Attached Version 35 of Script and Modules.txt.zip
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, kostka, domicius and 14 others like this.
Old 12/26/2011, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Developer

I'm testing a WR Pre+ version of the script that I just created based on yours.

Got through ROM verification, and is booting now.

First problem: Touchscreen doesn't work.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2011 at 08:51 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by matteebee13 likes this.
Thanked by matteebee13, smackead
Old 12/26/2011, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
I'm testing a WR Pre+ version of the script that I just created based on yours.

Got through ROM verification, and is booting now.

First problem: Touchscreen doesn't work.

-- Rod
Yeah kayphoonstar, also had that issue however he reported:
UPDATE: Touchscreen fine..

So it seems to be a hit or miss, what I was thinking is, I prune an XML file from the PRE2 touch module (hidtouchpanel) maybe remove the PREPLUS version and remark out the prune and remove the hittouchpanel from the final Make (which build the doctor) and see if the PRE2 version works on the PREPLUS?

Again, now it is time to see which modules work, and which do not... getting it to boot was half the work, now which modules stay and which go is the next phase...

The fact that it boots... is good enough to know we can make this work...

I wish I had a developer unit to test... but mine is in use and I can't change that at this time...
Old 12/26/2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know how to write scripts but I'm afraid I do know how to throw files around inside of a tar file. . . After poking around the result of the last script for a while and looking over John's list - I grabbed the pmmultitouch* and hid* files from /usr/lib/ipkg/info directory out of the Pre2 2.2.4 Dr. and the libhid* files out of /usr/lib.

Then I threw in the hidd* files out of /etc/event.d and all of the Hid*.xml files out of /etc/hidd.

I ran the Dr. and stupidly just clicked on it instead of running from the command line so I didn't see why it failed (yes, it did fail to reset) but when I restarted it I finally had pull down menus - full touchscreen access.

Since I put in the "HidTouchpanel_rr.xml" that John mentioned didn't verify, that may have been the what kept it from resetting.

It does seem a bit unsteady and has done a couple of luna resets but it is functional. I hope this gives ya'll who actually know what they're doing a clue or two.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 12/26/2011, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
I don't know how to write scripts but I'm afraid I do know how to throw files around inside of a tar file. . . After poking around the result of the last script for a while and looking over John's list - I grabbed the pmmultitouch* and hid* files from /usr/lib/ipkg/info directory out of the Pre2 2.2.4 Dr. and the libhid* files out of /usr/lib.

Then I threw in the hidd* files out of /etc/event.d and all of the Hid*.xml files out of /etc/hidd.

I ran the Dr. and stupidly just clicked on it instead of running from the command line so I didn't see why it failed (yes, it did fail to reset) but when I restarted it I finally had pull down menus - full touchscreen access.

Since I put in the "HidTouchpanel_rr.xml" that John mentioned didn't verify, that may have been the what kept it from resetting.

It does seem a bit unsteady and has done a couple of luna resets but it is functional. I hope this gives ya'll who actually know what they're doing a clue or two.
Removed version 7 did not work...

Last edited by John Steffes; 12/26/2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Removed version 7 from message
Old 12/26/2011, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
If it works I will update the main page with it and remove it from here... Version 7 of script...
Great! Running it now. I got as far as receiving Skype calls - worked fine - but I couldn't get it to dial out. So I'm running this w/o the --wifi-only switch in case that was the problem it was having.

Finger crossed.
Thanked By: smackead
Old 12/26/2011, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
Great! Running it now. I got as far as receiving Skype calls - worked fine - but I couldn't get it to dial out. So I'm running this w/o the --wifi-only switch in case that was the problem it was having.

Finger crossed.
Hey thanks for testing this if it was not for you, we would not be here...

Also what works Palm Profile? Skype Accounts, Apps?

I know this is a rough build but as you have been my main tester, want to know the positives what has been working?
Old 12/26/2011, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
If it works I will update the main page with it and remove it from here... Version 7 of script...
Verified okay: "INFO: Flash End time (Success)1324953607130"

. . . Penguin. . . HP glowing. . . Language screen. . .

Sheesh! No touch input.

I'll poke around and see what I've missed. I know it works with the Dr. I hacked but that Dr. didn't verify. I wonder if the "HidTouchpanel_rr.xml" file needs to be in there even if it doesn't verify?

I'll be out for a while then back at it! Sooooo, damn close!
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 12/26/2011, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Yep, no touchscreen with that one either.

Will investigate further later ...

Here's my version of the WR script if you want to compare ...

-- Rod
Attached Files
File Type: zip test-wr-preplus-2.2.4-1.zip (3.1 KB, 70 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2011 at 10:09 PM.
Thanked By: lephilwld
Old 12/26/2011, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, no touchscreen with that one either.

Will investigate further later ...

-- Rod
Ok so removed hidcompass (which was empty, so back to Pre2 version) and hidtouchpanel (which may/may not need to go back in, at Pre2 version) removed cypress-multitouch (PrePlus version) and left pmmultitouchlib (pre2 version in).

These are the files mentioned concerning previous touchscreen usage...

This worked according to Rod please test Version 9 posted in Top Post...

Last edited by John Steffes; 12/26/2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Version 9 Removed...
Old 12/26/2011, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Ok so removed hidcompass (which was empty, so back to Pre2 version) and hidtouchpanel (which may/may not need to go back in, at Pre2 version) removed cypress-multitouch (PrePlus version) and left pmmultitouchlib (pre2 version in).

These are the files mentioned concerning previous touchscreen usage...
My version of that:
Attached Files
File Type: zip test-wr-preplus-2.2.4-2.zip (3.0 KB, 30 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12/26/2011, 10:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
My version of that:
Rod,

Looking at your script and its comments:

The reason is that the PRE2 has a different Camera then the PREPLUS...

if you do not remove the PRE2 camera files the ROM Verify fails with an ADDED as it tries to figure out where those files come from...

I put in the How to Pre thread the Makefile could use a DELETE_EXTRA or something that I can pass a list to (maybe in the form of a .list file or just file1, file2 etc...) that can prune the files from the WEBOS.TAR.

As we are swapping modules from PRE2 to PREPLUS, some files are left behind and need to be pruned... There was no other way, so this was my method... dirty but it works...

Also you have W220 in there but not defined:
W220_IPKS= think it should be W210...
Also see pmmultitouchlib still in your second Make entry (should be removed)
Old 12/26/2011, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Rod,

Looking at your script and its comments:

The reason is that the PRE2 has a different Camera then the PREPLUS...

if you do not remove the PRE2 camera files the ROM Verify fails with an ADDED as it tries to figure out where those files come from...

I put in the How to Pre thread the Makefile could use a DELETE_EXTRA or something that I can pass a list to (maybe in the form of a .list file or just file1, file2 etc...) that can prune the files from the WEBOS.TAR.

As we are swapping modules from PRE2 to PREPLUS, some files are left behind and need to be pruned... There was no other way, so this was my method... dirty but it works...

Also you have W220 in there but not defined:
W220_IPKS= think it should be W210...
Also see pmmultitouchlib still in your second Make entry (should be removed)
Latest script, touchscreen works, skype works. This version also in the meta-doctor repo for alpha testing. It thinks it is a roadrunner, so we need to fix that.

Will look at Meta-Doctor feature for removing rootfs ipkgs.

Awesome work, John.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test-wr-preplus-2.2.4-3.zip (3.0 KB, 44 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12/26/2011, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Latest script, touchscreen works, skype works. This version also in the meta-doctor repo for alpha testing. It thinks it is a roadrunner, so we need to fix that.

Will look at Meta-Doctor feature for removing rootfs ipkgs.

Awesome work, John.
Thanks for your help...

Please report on USB size, and app usage and other issues... does it act up or is it stable?
Old 12/26/2011, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Thanks for your help...

Please report on USB size, and app usage and other issues... does it act up or is it stable?
For some reason (unrelated to these scripts), my device has DMMODEL="castle" instead of "P101UEU". A little Impostah device profile service override work fixed that, and app catalog access is confirmed. Angry Birds Seasons Free installed and ran correctly.

USB size looks correct. Camera doesn't work (some sort of restart loop).

-- Rod
Old 12/26/2011, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

You guys are just simply amazing. I just had to say that.
m-h-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rockbeast and Zahid like this.
Old 12/26/2011, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
For some reason (unrelated to these scripts), my device has DMMODEL="castle" instead of "P101UEU". A little Impostah device profile service override work fixed that, and app catalog access is confirmed. Angry Birds Seasons Free installed and ran correctly.

USB size looks correct. Camera doesn't work (some sort of restart loop).

-- Rod
Rod could you add the latest script (posted in first post), it needs to be tested (my version 10), I have removed 12 modules that do not need to be copied over as the .list file is empty and is not needed for build... Also could you update your wr build so we match?
Old 12/27/2011, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Rod could you add the latest script (posted in first post), it needs to be tested (my version 10), I have removed 12 modules that do not need to be copied over as the .list file is empty and is not needed for build... Also could you update your wr build so we match?

Done. Currently creating a DELETE_ROOTFS_IPKGS feature to make both these scripts simpler.

-- Rod
Old 12/27/2011, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Done. Currently creating a DELETE_ROOTFS_IPKGS feature to make both these scripts simpler.

-- Rod
Thanks Rod...

And to all who read... there are still 78 modules that are copied over... do they need to be there... Some like the mp3 decompression is updated in 2.2.4 to handle ogg, currently the build copies over the PREPLUS version which does not have that... is it compiled special for the CPU or can it be left at PRE2 versions... there is a lot of work to be done... Camera reboots, why is there something missing, would the PRE2 versions work (looks like different hardware 36xx [PRE2] 34xx [PREPLUS]) or is that misleading... lots of questions... tixxx drivers could they stay at PRE2 versions?

Look at modules.txt to see the remaining modules, if they are the same version, or different, remove them from the script (meaning delete the module name from both sections), rebuild doctor, re-slam, does it work??? report findings..
Old 12/27/2011, 12:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Developer

DELETE_ROOTFS_IPKGS feature written, now testing.

BTW, John, there are a number of other features which can save all that copying of files around. I'll update the wr script to use those so you can see how it is done.

-- Rod

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0