Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    John, thanks! I did try the procedures in the others.zip file prior to using the 2.2.4 f105 kernel from unixpsycho's site. The script stopped with an error each time (running against the test-sprint-pre script). I've got a busy next few days. When I get a chance I will post the output.
    Running the getf105 script using ubuntu results in an error. The cause is, that the tar command couldn't unpack the *ipkg file from the f105-kernel. You have to extract the ipkg-archive on your own using the 'ar' command. After that, change line number 73 to copy the extracted files, for example 'cp -R tmp/* kernels/${PATIENT}/pack'. Thats the way I run the script to build a webos-doctor with the f105-kernel.

PS: Thanks John Steffes and the others for your effort and your great work!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So, I like, actually finally bothered to read all of the instructions for using the others.zip and modules.txt.zip. I re-built the 2.2.4 doctor with the getf105 script. I tried a zillion different combinations of settings in govnah, but I just could not come up with anything that was even remotely stable. Strangely, it actually seemed to get worse the longer I used it (maybe that's due to the hot summer here?). After a month of fighting with it, I had to do battery pulls at least 6 times a day, often more like 10 times a day. So, I'm giving up on that route.

I'm going to follow your lead, John Steffes, to build a better preplus kernel for 2.2.4. I've got all the development tools ready to go. I can build the existing pre kernels from github just fine, when I'm building them for their intended target, but I'm a little lost after that. I thought I'd try your suggestion and build the Pre2 source for a Pre. I changed the "DEVICE" from "pre2" to "pre", and then ran a "make package". Of course that didn't work. Big surprise. It didn't get very far before make died with errors. I also tried the Pre2 uberkernel source, building for DEVICE=pre. That also didn't go so well.

If you have time, can you enlighten me about what parts of the Pre2 kernel source won't work, and how to go about switching in the working Pre parts? If you've already mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, I apologize.
  3.    #663  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    So, I like, actually finally bothered to read all of the instructions for using the others.zip and modules.txt.zip. I re-built the 2.2.4 doctor with the getf105 script. I tried a zillion different combinations of settings in govnah, but I just could not come up with anything that was even remotely stable. Strangely, it actually seemed to get worse the longer I used it (maybe that's due to the hot summer here?). After a month of fighting with it, I had to do battery pulls at least 6 times a day, often more like 10 times a day. So, I'm giving up on that route.

I'm going to follow your lead, John Steffes, to build a better preplus kernel for 2.2.4. I've got all the development tools ready to go. I can build the existing pre kernels from github just fine, when I'm building them for their intended target, but I'm a little lost after that. I thought I'd try your suggestion and build the Pre2 source for a Pre. I changed the "DEVICE" from "pre2" to "pre", and then ran a "make package". Of course that didn't work. Big surprise. It didn't get very far before make died with errors. I also tried the Pre2 uberkernel source, building for DEVICE=pre. That also didn't go so well.

If you have time, can you enlighten me about what parts of the Pre2 kernel source won't work, and how to go about switching in the working Pre parts? If you've already mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, I apologize.
    I may have already detailed this not sure, but I took the files linuxkernel-2.6.24.patch and kernel-2.2.4.txt and pulled the omap 3430 out of the preplus and put it in the pre2 replacing the 3630 parts, as I was not sure of each entry at first I took each difference one at a time but it did not build.

I have a mashed kernel now but it is still not 100% stable, the longest I have had it going was for 7 days, some days it won't even last one hour. I did not want to publish anything until it was 100% stable (I have built many linux kernels but, this is the first cross compile from a MAC to a PrePlus). Maybe you can come up with the right parts to mash. But for me this is still trial and error.

As far as using the f105 source, or the uber kernel I have not even looked, it might be better to modify the f105 source to add the pre2 (webOS 2.2.4) kernel mods (these are important for LUNA). As most of the lockups on F105 is not the kernel but LUNA crash because F105 does not have the webOS 2.2.4 mods.

The lockups I am seeing with my kernel have to do with these mods, I just can't seem to get them right.

Hope this helps and if you want more info PM me and we can share offline.
    I have four Pres that I'm setting as wifi/media devices that I can use while I travel.

I'm intrigued by some Skype action so I thought I'd dedicate one Verizon Pre Plus to try out 2.2.4 and report back on this thread about my experience.

I have metadoctor set up on a machine running 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 desktop.

However, I'm a little bit confused about the procedure. Here's how I think it goes.

1. There are two scripts - a super verizon and a test verizon. Super verizon is the one with skype & flash, etc and is the one I should use. Correct?
    2. I should place the contents of super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip, test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip and others.zip in meta-doctor/scripts. modules.txt.zip is just informational.
    3. f105 is the most stable kernel and the one i should test on. I should invoke the getf105 script manually?
    4. Because I'm building from Linux and not a Mac, I'll have to make some mods to getf105 as therealelch found.
    5. To build the doctor, I'll run make. To ensure I'm invoking super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 don't I need some parameters or edits to the make file?
  5.    #665  
    Quote Originally Posted by dillononthecoast View Post
    I have four Pres that I'm setting as wifi/media devices that I can use while I travel.

I'm intrigued by some Skype action so I thought I'd dedicate one Verizon Pre Plus to try out 2.2.4 and report back on this thread about my experience.

I have metadoctor set up on a machine running 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 desktop.

However, I'm a little bit confused about the procedure. Here's how I think it goes.

1. There are two scripts - a super verizon and a test verizon. Super verizon is the one with skype & flash, etc and is the one I should use. Correct?
    The Difference between the test and super is the extra functionality I added to the super (Classic Bits, You Tube app, Google Mobile Maps etc...)

2. I should place the contents of super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip, test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4.zip and others.zip in meta-doctor/scripts. modules.txt.zip is just informational.
    You do NOT need to copy any scripts for Super/Test they are part of the meta doctor application, the content of the others.zip is not, so you do have to copy the scripts.

3. f105 is the most stable kernel and the one i should test on. I should invoke the getf105 script manually?
    4. Because I'm building from Linux and not a Mac, I'll have to make some mods to getf105 as therealelch found.
    Again, the others.zip has a readme that details how to use the scripts (yes for other linux's you have to use ar instead of tar), it also explains in the readme how to invoke the f105 kernel as part of the build.

5. To build the doctor, I'll run make. To ensure I'm invoking super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 don't I need some parameters or edits to the make file?
    To run the scripts you need to be at a command line then invoke...

./scripts/super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4
    TabascoTX likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Again, the others.zip has a readme that details how to use the scripts (yes for other linux's you have to use ar instead of tar), it also explains in the readme how to invoke the f105 kernel as part of the build.
    I read the readme and this thread a couple times before I posted. I didn't find it clear, at least not explicitly (not that I have any expectation of clear documentation on a free project in its early stages).

I haven't taken time to experiment with it though. Other stuff on my plate. I'll post back when I have time to read the scripts and try it out.

What's the deal with the Pre -? Rod posted earlier in the thread not to bother trying it but I don't understand why or if that is still the case. I have a Pre - on 2.1 right now. Any reason it couldn't be 2.2.4?
  7.    #667  
    I read the readme and this thread a couple times before I posted. I didn't find it clear, at least not explicitly (not that I have any expectation of clear documentation on a free project in its early stages).

I haven't taken time to experiment with it though. Other stuff on my plate. I'll post back when I have time to read the scripts and try it out.

What's the deal with the Pre -? Rod posted earlier in the thread not to bother trying it but I don't understand why or if that is still the case. I have a Pre - on 2.1 right now. Any reason it couldn't be 2.2.4?
    If you need help, pm me I would be happy to help, we can even talk over the phone/Skype etc...

As for the Pre-, it has 256 of ram as the PrePlus has 512. WebOS 2.1.0 works ok under those conditions, but not great. The Pre- would be resource constraint, it might only allow one or two cards open at a time.

Remember webOS 2.1.0 is all Mojo, but webOS 2.2.4 was converted to Enyo. According to jstop there is less memory available. I have not ran the tests as I do not have a Pre-, but this is from my notes others shared.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/11/2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Enyo is only used in 2.2.4 for the Phone and Maps apps, everything else is the same as it was in 2.1, from what I know.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Good to know - I knew the flash size was different but I thought it had the same RAM (& CPU, etc).

I'll try out one of the Pluses and if it seems solid, maybe I can flash my FrankenPlus. Since I don't use the phone or map apps, maybe my FrankenMinus and the stock Minus can run 2.2.4 as well.
    I keep getting the error:

Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net'
    webosdoctorp224pre2-wr-2.2.4.jar did not download properly. Please run this script again.

I know there's nothing wrong with my connection. Does anybody happen to know what else might cause this and is there a workaround?
    DNS error - either your ISP's DNS servers, your home router, or your PC is having DNS issues.
    I think the problem is that the DNS entry for palm.cdnetworks.net is missing. My internal DNS servers, my ISP's DNS servers and various 3rd party DNS servers can't find a DNS record that points to an IP address .

The response from Google's DNS server to an nslookup on palm.cdnetworks.net is:

DNS server handling your query: 8.8.8.8
    DNS server's address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    palm.cdnetworks.net canonical name = palm.cdnetworks.net.cdngc.net.

so palm.cdnetworks.net points to palm.cdnetworks.net.cdngc.net

Doing an nslookup on that host:

DNS server handling your query: 8.8.8.8
    DNS server's address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    *** Can't find palm.cdnetworks.net.cdngc.net: No answer

In other words, there is no registered IP address associated with the host name. Those that are able to resolve it likely have a cached entry from a query that they ran prior to its disappearance.
    Palm changed the download locations. I've updated the official meta-doctor scripts to match. Anyone who has unofficial scripts will need to change them too.

s|http://palm.cdnetworks.net|http://downloads.help.palm.com/webosdoctor|g

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp likes this.
    is the script in the meta-doctor for doing this the current last-word in how this should be done? Going to be poking at putting LSMCE on it, thought I'd give it a try.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  15.    #675  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    is the script in the meta-doctor for doing this the current last-word in how this should be done? Going to be poking at putting LSMCE on it, thought I'd give it a try.
    Well, the Pre/PrePlus need a kernel update for the LunaSysMgr to work. LunaSysMgr does have a Luna minimal, but webOS 2.2.4, has a unique LunaSysMgr, the webOS 3.0.5 Community Edition is based on the Touchpad.

I would love to know if it functions...
    John,

You should join us on the #webos-ports chat on FreeNode IRC

When I bring up 2.2.4 on my ATT Pre+, I am required to enter APN settings, and when I set the Internet APN to "att.mvno" as i'm supposed to, then hit "Change Settings", it goes to "Waiting for active connect status..." and then hard locks, requiring a battery pull.

Any ideas?

*edit: well, i'd still like a solution, but i did find a workaround -- entering the phone into Dev mode with the *#DEVMODE* code got me into the system, and then once it was up, I was able to get into my Wifi, turn that on, and get into the phone app, and enable the correct APN without getting a crash.

* further edit: my first reboot after doing that, and i'm hard locked in the boot screen. argh. third reboot worked, although during the second one, i installed the pdk-device-install stuff .. not sure if that might've made a difference somehow.
    Last edited by eblade; 07/29/2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  17.    #677  
    John,

You should join us on the #webos-ports chat on FreeNode IRC

When I bring up 2.2.4 on my ATT Pre+, I am required to enter APN settings, and when I set the Internet APN to "att.mvno" as i'm supposed to, then hit "Change Settings", it goes to "Waiting for active connect status..." and then hard locks, requiring a battery pull.

Any ideas?

*edit: well, i'd still like a solution, but i did find a workaround -- entering the phone into Dev mode with the *#DEVMODE* code got me into the system, and then once it was up, I was able to get into my Wifi, turn that on, and get into the phone app, and enable the correct APN without getting a crash.

* further edit: my first reboot after doing that, and i'm hard locked in the boot screen. argh. third reboot worked, although during the second one, i installed the pdk-device-install stuff .. not sure if that might've made a difference somehow.
    The Pre3 has a different kernel (2.6.32) then the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 it uses 2.6.24, where the Touchpad uses 2.6.35.

I have not tried WOSCE LunaSysMgr, but I have tried Pre3's on the PrePlus and it did not work although I was trying other things at the time. By that it did not change the stability of the device.

FYI I also thought the newer LunaSysMgr uses a newer WebKit?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/30/2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Thank you all for your contributions. I only had to read the first and last pages in this thread to get 2.2.4 f105 running well on my craigs list pre+ i picked up for nearly nothing. Huge improvement over 1.4.0..

Just wanted to show my gratitude...
    Luna itself is not directly tied very tightly to the webkit, I personally think it may be possible, if we had the source to a few more bits, or if we had the source for the current webOS 2 luna, that it would be able to be done. Several of us spent the weekend getting the new LSM running on Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, but we're pretty much all stuck at a wall where a library we don't have code for is crashing, at least once I got apps "running".
    I don't think there's too many of us that are systems level programmers, but we sure would appreciate if anyone had some ideas for getting through that.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  20.    #680  
    Luna itself is not directly tied very tightly to the webkit, I personally think it may be possible, if we had the source to a few more bits, or if we had the source for the current webOS 2 luna, that it would be able to be done. Several of us spent the weekend getting the new LSM running on Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, but we're pretty much all stuck at a wall where a library we don't have code for is crashing, at least once I got apps "running".
    I don't think there's too many of us that are systems level programmers, but we sure would appreciate if anyone had some ideas for getting through that.
    I wish I had the time, but have just not had the time to look at much, did use the emulator card to get a wall for classic to work on the Pre3, have not had the time to compare my Enyo classic to the Mojo classic. Would be nice to not have a hybrid app and rely on LunaSysMgr for the wall, but do not see a way in the minimal to invoke it.

Let me know the library (PM) maybe I can help?

I was kind of waiting til more of either the community edition or open webOS is released to play, wanted to try to compile it for the armv6 (pixi/pixiplus), pre/preplus, veer, pre2, and pre3.
    kayphoonstar likes this.