Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 718
Like Tree78Likes
  1. #621  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you have a Pre Minus, forget it.

    -- Rod
    I can attest to this. I tried on a sprint -. It was pretty bad due to hardware obviously. It was worth the try though I always like messing around so I doctored back no sweat.
  2. #622  
    Quote Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
    I can attest to this. I tried on a sprint -. It was pretty bad due to hardware obviously. It was worth the try though I always like messing around so I doctored back no sweat.
    Hi guys any news of a "super stable" Webos 2.2.4 for pre +....i'm waiting this with so much impatience. Just an update will be cool. Thanks you again rod and john...i was waiting for an official release of webos 2.2.4 for palm pre + but i think it won't come. Do you think Open Webos 1.0 could be used for legacy device as mine (pre +)?
  3. #623  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wankel82 View Post
    Hi guys any news of a "super stable" Webos 2.2.4 for pre +....i'm waiting this with so much impatience. Just an update will be cool. Thanks you again rod and john...i was waiting for an official release of webos 2.2.4 for palm pre + but i think it won't come. Do you think Open Webos 1.0 could be used for legacy device as mine (pre +)?
    Anything is possible with open source if someone modifys it to work with the device.

    The only thing ever holding an OS ported to a device is closed source drivers and kernels.

    The OS has to be able to communicate with the device itself, the touchscreen, speakers, microphones, camera and other sensors.

    If the drivers for these are closed source and propritary, then it will be very hard to get them to work with the Open Source OS.

    If they are open and the source code is available, then it just takes someone with linux know how some time to port the OS.
  4.    #624  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wankel82 View Post
    Hi guys any news of a "super stable" Webos 2.2.4 for pre +....i'm waiting this with so much impatience. Just an update will be cool. Thanks you again rod and john...i was waiting for an official release of webos 2.2.4 for palm pre + but i think it won't come. Do you think Open Webos 1.0 could be used for legacy device as mine (pre +)?
    I am not releasing anything as of yet, but what I have done it is possible...

    Now I am not a linux kernel guru, Rod or uNiXpSyChO, or someone else, might be better to do this work then I but either they are to busy, do not want to rock the boat, they can reply with what reason...

    I have created a PrePlus kernel from the Pre2 source and it is in progress...

    FYI Further technical details:

    I grabbed the PrePlus/pre2 source from Palm's open source website, then I compiled/copied the PrePlus kernel to my PrePlus (on webOS 2.1.0) and tested for one week, compiled/copied the Pre2 kernel to my Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4) and tested that for the same week I was testing the PrePlus. Just to make sure my compiled kernel worked similar to the stock versions and they did.

    I then took the Pre2 parts one at a time and removed the pre plus part and put the pre2 part in recompiled and copied and tested (on webOS 2.2.4 on my PrePlus, also remember this is my main phone so I cannot stay on this new kernel for long, need a stabler phone so I jump back to F105)...

    Some worked, Some did not (VSS, 3640 voltages are difference, speed control, etc...) I am still working on this one change at a time.

    If you wish to help please let me know, again I am not a linux kernel guru, but attempting...

    Now I am assuming HP/PALM with their little resources they have left are no longer going to release any further version for the PrePlus/Pre2, so WR webOS 2.1.0 (PrePlus) and WR webOS 2.2.4 (Pre2) will be the last released. (unless a carrier approves a new build)... Also assuming Open webOS 1.0.0 will work with the tablet only (Meg stated several times tablet), that could change but I highly doubt it, if HP/Palm would release a non-carrier webOS 2.2.4 for Pixi/PixiPlus/Pre/PrePlus/Veer, we could do something... but the longer that time goes by I think the likely hood is further in doubt...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/09/2012 at 11:44 AM.
    zubiaur, junvtd and jon-doe like this.
  5. #625  
    I've just read through this stuff and I'm uber impressed. Will run up latest version on my Pre tomorrow (I take on board whats been said about the hardware not being man enough).

  6. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #626  
    So i seem to have a bit of a weird problem. I had 2.1 installed on my pre- and i decided to see what 2.2.4 would be like. Of couse, it was unstable so i decided to doctor back to 1.4.5. Recently, i decided i couldn't stand the issues i was having with 1.4.5 so i doctored back to 2.1. However, when I got the the profile sign in I got the "data not restored" error. I then reinstalled 1.4.5 and removed the profile backup and doctored back to 2.1.0 but got the "data not restored" error again. The weird thing is that just to check i tried re-doctoring to 2.2.4 and it signed in fine. I even tried removing the backup from the 2.2.4 install and i still get the same error. I can log in to 1.4.5 and i tried to create a new profile on 2.1.0 and it worked fine as well. Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be going on/help me?
  7.    #627  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    So i seem to have a bit of a weird problem. I had 2.1 installed on my pre- and i decided to see what 2.2.4 would be like. Of couse, it was unstable so i decided to doctor back to 1.4.5. Recently, i decided i couldn't stand the issues i was having with 1.4.5 so i doctored back to 2.1. However, when I got the the profile sign in I got the "data not restored" error. I then reinstalled 1.4.5 and removed the profile backup and doctored back to 2.1.0 but got the "data not restored" error again. The weird thing is that just to check i tried re-doctoring to 2.2.4 and it signed in fine. I even tried removing the backup from the 2.2.4 install and i still get the same error. I can log in to 1.4.5 and i tried to create a new profile on 2.1.0 and it worked fine as well. Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be going on/help me?
    In testing webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 2.2.4 works fine, but the scripts currently mask as webOS 2.1.0 so even though your device is webOS 2.2.4, palm thinks your device is webOS 2.1.0. So your backup is converted to webOS 2.2.4 but flagged to webOS 2.1.0. To fix install webOS 2.2.4, login your profile and disable and remove your backups. This has worked for me in testing, several times.
  8. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #628  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    In testing webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 2.2.4 works fine, but the scripts currently mask as webOS 2.1.0 so even though your device is webOS 2.2.4, palm thinks your device is webOS 2.1.0. So your backup is converted to webOS 2.2.4 but flagged to webOS 2.1.0. To fix install webOS 2.2.4, login your profile and disable and remove your backups. This has worked for me in testing, several times.
    Yah, i've actully tried that twice now. Same problem. I've even gone as far as removing the phone from my profile account online to no avail. Any other things i could try?
  9. qman564's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #629  
    so is there any chance here anytime soon that you would be able to make a scrippt for the sprint palm pre to run 2.2.4 because when it tried to unpaCK the files i get this error

    make: *** [build/pre3-p224manta-verizon-2.2.4/.unpacked] Error 1

    what am i doing wrong?
  10. qman564's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #630  
    never mind i figured it out my hard drive was to full it wouldnt make the file wow stupid mistake.
  11.    #631  
    Quote Originally Posted by qman564 View Post
    so is there any chance here anytime soon that you would be able to make a scrippt for the sprint palm pre to run 2.2.4 because when it tried to unpaCK the files i get this error

    make: *** [build/pre3-p224manta-verizon-2.2.4/.unpacked] Error 1

    what am i doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by qman564 View Post
    never mind i figured it out my hard drive was to full it wouldnt make the file wow stupid mistake.
    Glad you figured out the issue... Let me know how the scripts works for you, and which Kernel you use, and the stability on the Pre.
  12. #632  
    welcome.
    I have a Palm Pre with O2 UK and 1.4.5 webOS. How do I update to 2.2.4? I get tired a few hours i have OS X Lion 10.7.3 and meta-doctor installed. I have four applications now : Build Applet, IDLE, Python launcher and Palm Emulator. Please help me. What to do now? Sorry for my bad english
    I have a webosdoctorp100ueu-wr.jar (webOS 1.4.5 for Palm Pre O2 UK) and I cant install because "I have a newer version of drivers novacom..."
    Are there any ready-modified file webOS Doctor?
    Last edited by FishBB; 04/28/2012 at 12:13 PM.
  13. #633  
    I just wanted to confirm that i can take on this project- I have a Sprint com board that im about to place in an ATT pre plus, 2.2.4 is an option for me right? anyone can shoot me a quick checklist of things i should make sure to do in this particular task would be helpful- its been about a year since i created my first frankinpre & i only began using linux then- just dont wanna overlook anything- thanks
  14.    #634  
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigata1 View Post
    I just wanted to confirm that i can take on this project- I have a Sprint com board that im about to place in an ATT pre plus, 2.2.4 is an option for me right? anyone can shoot me a quick checklist of things i should make sure to do in this particular task would be helpful- its been about a year since i created my first frankinpre & i only began using linux then- just dont wanna overlook anything- thanks
    With the existing build(s) of webOS 2.2.4 with the f105 or stock palm kernel, the PrePlus still is not 100% stable. But as long as you do not mind a freeze/lock up it is ok. But if you want stability stay with webOS 2.1.0 on the PrePlus. I am using a modified Pre2 kernel with a lot of PrePlus bits jammed in, still freezes/locks up but I have been stable for a week with no restarts/freezes/lock ups, but sometime after the 7th day... Lock up... I have been testing various bits for months now...
  15. #635  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    With the existing build(s) of webOS 2.2.4 with the f105 or stock palm kernel, the PrePlus still is not 100% stable...
    Too bad, because Skype in 2.2.4 I tested and actually works very well. It is possible to porting it in 2.1.X?
  16.    #636  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsher View Post
    Too bad, because Skype in 2.2.4 I tested and actually works very well. It is possible to porting it in 2.1.X?
    There is another thread on this forum concerning porting it over, however, it was not 100% successful at this time, one can text message but not call, seems there are a lot of parts of webOS 2.2.4 (luna/systemui/etc) that need to come over.

    As porting all of webOS 2.2.4 Skype works, if someone picks up that thread and runs with it, they could figure which parts need to come over, but it is not an easy task, and my experience once you bring over what you need the stability of the existing kernels then becomes the issue.

    The best way is if someone can take the Pre2 kernel bits and mash it with the PrePlus kernel bits (what I have been trying to do for months) and provide a stable Kernel build. (No body with the vast knowledge of building kernels from webosinternals seems to want to take that on). So maybe you have the skills?

    Skype Thread: Get Skype running on 2.1 devices
    webOS 2.2.4 OpenSource Link for Pre2 Kernel bits:http://opensource.palm.com/2.2.4/index.html
    webOS 2.1.0 OpenSource Link for PrePlus Kernel bits:http://opensource.palm.com/2.1.0/index.html
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/05/2012 at 07:51 AM.
  17. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #637  
    So, I thought I'd give the Super 2.2.4 script a try on my Verizon Pre Plus. Thank you, Mr. John Steffes. I got it up and running, but I was having some pretty bad stability issues with the stock Palm kernel, and a number of things just didn't work at all (camera, location services, sound, pdk apps, flash).

    I thought I'd give the f105 kernel (version 88) a try, and I was pleasantly surprised. After adjusting the CPU voltage a bit as recommended earlier in this thread, my phone instantly became stable. Suddenly, all the broken bits and apps started working, and the lagfree governor is a small bit of magic. I can stay at 500mhz, the UI is still totally responsive, and the battery lasts all day. Rod and uNiXpSyChO, you are gifted in ways that very few could profess to be.

    One odd issue I have with f105, though, is that tcp traffic seems to be, well... impaired. I can visit certain web pages, but with others I'll get a bad http request error, or the page's stylesheet will be mangled, or other random weird errors. This also seems to affect other apps, like the app catalog (images often don't load), fandango, yelp, and most other apps I've tried that need to talk to the outside world.

    I played around with all the Advanced Settings that I could in Govnah (tried all combinations of I/O scheduler and TCP Congestion), but the issue seems to be there no matter what the settings.

    Has anybody seen anything similar? If so, have you found a workaround? F105-88 seems to be working so well in other regards that I'm reticent to leave it.
  18.    #638  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    So, I thought I'd give the Super 2.2.4 script a try on my Verizon Pre Plus. Thank you, Mr. John Steffes. I got it up and running, but I was having some pretty bad stability issues with the stock Palm kernel, and a number of things just didn't work at all (camera, location services, sound, pdk apps, flash).

    I thought I'd give the f105 kernel (version 88) a try, and I was pleasantly surprised. After adjusting the CPU voltage a bit as recommended earlier in this thread, my phone instantly became stable. Suddenly, all the broken bits and apps started working, and the lagfree governor is a small bit of magic. I can stay at 500mhz, the UI is still totally responsive, and the battery lasts all day. Rod and uNiXpSyChO, you are gifted in ways that very few could profess to be.

    One odd issue I have with f105, though, is that tcp traffic seems to be, well... impaired. I can visit certain web pages, but with others I'll get a bad http request error, or the page's stylesheet will be mangled, or other random weird errors. This also seems to affect other apps, like the app catalog (images often don't load), fandango, yelp, and most other apps I've tried that need to talk to the outside world.

    I played around with all the Advanced Settings that I could in Govnah (tried all combinations of I/O scheduler and TCP Congestion), but the issue seems to be there no matter what the settings.

    Has anybody seen anything similar? If so, have you found a workaround? F105-88 seems to be working so well in other regards that I'm reticent to leave it.
    Thanks and please document any changes you made to the Govnah settings (screen shots would also be cool) so others can duplicate your results.

    I am glad that webOS 2.2.4 is working for you.

    FYI I am not using the F105 Kernel but a modified Pre2 kernel with PrePlus bits jammed in and I am not having any issues with the browser, but then I am also having lockup issues after about seven days (no reboots), I was hoping to get it more stable.
  19. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #639  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    FYI I am not using the F105 Kernel but a modified Pre2 kernel with PrePlus bits jammed in and I am not having any issues with the browser, but then I am also having lockup issues after about seven days (no reboots), I was hoping to get it more stable.
    I'd like to try out your franken-kernel, if that's OK with you. I'm happy to help with any testing you may be working on. I can live with one reboot a week if everything works with it.

    I don't suppose you have it in ipkg form? If not, no worries.
  20.    #640  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    I'd like to try out your franken-kernel, if that's OK with you. I'm happy to help with any testing you may be working on. I can live with one reboot a week if everything works with it.

    I don't suppose you have it in ipkg form? If not, no worries.
    Like the name of Franken-Kernel, well I have not created an IPK, what I did is created a Linux VMWare Fusion vmdk, then followed webOSInternals Kernel build instructions (not an easy read), then build my first kernel, then started ripping out the Pre2 bits and mashed in the PrePlus bits (one bit at a time), then build a uImage with it, copied it to the PrePlus and booted.

    As this process has been rip/replace-rip/replace I do not have a script to share at this time, once I was done I was going to DIFF my source with the open source (non modified on palms open source website) and share that modified diff.

    Then one could then build their own kernel...

    This is not as stable as I would like it and there are some things that I want to tweak before I share my kernel. But I have explained what I did and how I got to where I am. If you want to take a stab at building your own kernel then the better for us all. But I can not release it at this time as it is not ready in my opinion.

    Plus I really wanted someone who knows more about kernels then I do, to do this work, as my kernel is vanilla Palm like, no temp sensor, same voltage as the PrePlus, no over clocking... etc... it is the PrePlus parts replacing the Pre2 parts.

    Here is an incentive, money makes the world go round, why not start a fundraiser and give the pot collect to whoever can make a working webOS 2.2.4 kernel for the PrePlus (or Veer for that matter, or webOS 2.1.0 for PixiPlus)?

    I have asked before if webOSInternals would venture but with their NDA agreement with HP/PALM they are prevented from doing this (They have never stated such but the lack of the statements makes me assume this).

Posting Permissions