Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TabascoTX View Post
    Im sorry to bother you guys here,but ive got Ubuntu 11 installed and everytime i try and install the novacom drivers sdk or virtual box it kicks me to the ubantu software center and says it cant find the package requested. Any ideas? I shouldve gone with LinuxMint,but the Wubi for it isnt working right with the KDE version,so i downloaded LXDE cause im not fond of the new Unity gui. Anyways any ideas on how to make it see the downloaded packages? It wont see them in the terminal either.
    From WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

Novacom Drivers

If you are unable to get the official novacom drivers from the Palm SDK to connect to your device, you can alternately try Jason Robitaille's Universal Novacom Driver Installer

These drivers are necessary to interface with the Pre. The Installer is cross-platform and supports Windows (32bit and 64bit), Mac OS, and Ubuntu (32bit and 64bit). Note that it does not support the Pre 2 on Ubuntu. For that you'll need Linux-specific drivers, which HP makes available herefor 32-bit and here for 64-bit.

webos-internals.org contains links
    Thanks, What i ended up having to do is boot back into Win7 and un-install and re-install Ubuntu. It installed the SDK and everything just fine after that. I havent jumped into this install yet(2.2.4),not brave enough yet,i still switch back and forth from the GSM Pre+ to my Android phone so i wanted something a little more stable before i did. This actually remind me of the days back when the G1 first came out and we were all rooting it over on XDA.
    Have given Version 30 a try, but having repeated lockups. Flashing Version 29 now and we'll see how that makes it through the night.
    Version 30 did not work for me either.......and i found out why i lacked those messaging preferences and various other settings, it was coz of one of these modules i loaded lunasysmgr, powerd, luna-sysservice, activitymanager.

And John, DMMODEL do comes from the NVTokens but these tokens are modified with evry OS install, I Believe. Or maybe they are not, but atleast the DMMODEL thing it can be true, as also happened with Rod in post#15

Anyway my device shows everything fine now, no extra modules.
    -Mayank Mall
  5.    #465  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post
    Have given Version 30 a try, but having repeated lockups. Flashing Version 29 now and we'll see how that makes it through the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayank View Post
    Version 30 did not work for me either.......and i found out why i lacked those messaging preferences and various other settings, it was coz of one of these modules i loaded lunasysmgr, powerd, luna-sysservice, activitymanager.

And John, DMMODEL do comes from the NVTokens but these tokens are modified with evry OS install, I Believe. Or maybe they are not, but atleast the DMMODEL thing it can be true, as also happened with Rod in post#15

Anyway my device shows everything fine now, no extra modules.
    Version 29 and 30 are the same, the only difference is the script logic (and of course if you use the other kernel instead of the Stock Palm PrePlus Kernel). So if one uses the Stock Palm PrePlus Kernel there is no build difference between the two versions. If you are having issues with the other kernel, then remove/rename the directory from the kernels directory and it will pickup the Stock Palm Kernel by default and include it in the build.

Again the whole reason for the version 30 was to test the logic for Pre-Injecting a different kernel into the build, when and if I get a stable Pre2 Kernel working on a PrePlus I will release a script to build it, and modify the scripts to pick that kernel up, instead of the other and Stock PrePlus Kernel.

Thanks for testing and please continue to report any issues you may have...

FYI the DMMODEL NV items do get read and re-written, however, the script does not change those values, even in Rod's post he stated that it was not the script that was changing his value to castle. I have read, one can change the tokens of a device from a Pre to PrePlus, or from a GSM Pre3 to an ATT Pre3, to get the device to impersonate another. I do not wish to change anything related to those... My model has always stated the Verizon PrePlus Model P101EWW, I have looked and copied my NV items after each build to make sure nothing changes (use Show Properties to capture those items).

I have a copy of each build I have released and including in my ZIP locally I have the NV Items after I have built that version, no items have changed from going from the PrePlus Doctor to the Pre2 Doctor (I have tested that for two days before releasing the switch to the Pre2 Doctor, I wanted to make sure I did not cause any issues)... Now the build name of the JAR changed, which is why I changed the script logic to more reflect what device and carrier the build is meant for, this caused a lot of users panic that the build was not meant for them.

I hope that clears things up... and again thanks for testing and please continue to report any issues...
    Version 29 locked up quicker than 30 for me. I seem to have lost the Version 28 script. Does it exist someplace I can grab it from?

Found it on github. Now just have to recharge depleated battery!
    Last edited by Tim Dugan; 02/01/2012 at 11:08 AM.
  7.    #467  
    Version 31 was posted, it no longer will cache the pre plus kernel (it will remove the cached kernel if found), it will always build by default on the fly, a webOS 2.1.0 pre plus kernel, this is to remidy any issues that might arise.

As the version 30, was importing part of the kernels, it was messy and I cleaned up the code. Now the code acts and responds better to issues. My biggest issues was if the cached kernel got corrupt, then the build would grab the corrupt kernel bits, did not like that possibility. Also it did not account for other kernel modules being imported, now it will .

However, I have also streamlined the code for importing other kernels into the script read the readme.txt included with the others.zip posted on first post. Again I am trying the logic of importing the kernel and other modules and wanted to test the logic. I am not trying to make anyone mad at me, just getting ready for the one day that it will be possible to have a Pre2 kernel (re-compiled for the omap 3430) imported into the PrePlus build.
    Not sure which one I tried, but it crashed a lot. Not usable for me but I really need 2.2.4 for my pre-. I noticed it crashed a lot when it got hot. Also since my power button doesn't work its really annoying cause if I am out I cant turn my phone on without plugging it in. I really need a new phone lol
    Something of what I am sure of Now....
    1. Novacom Daemon, it is build specific, the current one we loading is roadrunner based whereas if you replace the daemon, novacom no longer detects a pre 2. The bad thing, you'll lose the functionality of setting password via dev-mode app coz older daemon do not support this form of security. By the way Dont worry, Your Devmode Launcher Password Screen can be Modified Easily, I have modified mine and now instead of password i am asked to confirm. So first test the build, thereon i'll make the changes required or John's always there to upgrade to even better way out.

2. Palm Profile: It is influenced by the "palm-build-info" file. The best you can get on your profile is 9.9.9 i.e. N/A, and doing this wont let you restore your profile be it a newly made or an old one. Reason for this, the build no. and build name for castle (pre+) is only matching with webos 2.1, while if you change the build no. and not the name, you'll get 9.9.9 coz there is no such build and finally if you change the name too, then again 9.9.9 coz the device reports itself to be pre+ whereas the build-info will be reporting something as pre3 or pre2, So until some carrier comes out with a 2.2.4 build and we copy the build-info from its doctor to ours, we cant get our profile to update.

3. Ls-Hubd error, It searches for the permissions in build named roadrunner whereas the current build is castle, so if you replace this daemon, majority of ls-hubd errors will go away except one pointing to luna-service 125...this here is v125 whereas the loaded one is 131.6 (or 131.9...something like 131.*) and thus it doesn't find the requred files. How to fix this one, not yet figured out.

4. ActivityManager, Though i dont have a proper reason for this one, but replacing it has soothing effects and based on my findings, I guess it is part of the various daemons that are build-specific - roadrunner based currently.

Finally what, Here is my version of the build based on John's v30. You find time, test this one too and report the good and bad things about it so that John can actually make required changes in the Original Script.

Thanks for your time on this, May you find it Useful!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Mayank Mall
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Not sure which one I tried, but it crashed a lot. Not usable for me but I really need 2.2.4 for my pre-. I noticed it crashed a lot when it got hot. Also since my power button doesn't work its really annoying cause if I am out I cant turn my phone on without plugging it in. I really need a new phone lol
    Not sure 2.2.4 is viable on the Pre-... Others in this thread have reported similar failures trying to test on their Pre-. The 256MB memory issue is a big one.
  11.    #471  
    1. Novacom Daemon, it is build specific, the current one we loading is roadrunner based whereas if you replace the daemon, novacom no longer detects a pre 2. The bad thing, you'll lose the functionality of setting password via dev-mode app coz older daemon do not support this form of security. By the way Dont worry, Your Devmode Launcher Password Screen can be Modified Easily, I have modified mine and now instead of password i am asked to confirm. So first test the build, thereon i'll make the changes required or John's always there to upgrade to even better way out.
    Not sure what you mean detects, explain where you see this, as when I use novaterm it works, and when I use webOS Installer I see Pre not Pre2... Please explain where do you see Pre2?

fyi if you look at the novacomd daemon (thru a text editor) you will see "linuxid:roadrunner", I will change it thru bit changes from roadrunner to castle (padded with null (00) and see if there is a difference, but again I do not see where the novacom daemon sees a Pre2.

2. Palm Profile: It is influenced by the "palm-build-info" file. The best you can get on your profile is 9.9.9 i.e. N/A, and doing this wont let you restore your profile be it a newly made or an old one. Reason for this, the build no. and build name for castle (pre+) is only matching with webos 2.1, while if you change the build no. and not the name, you'll get 9.9.9 coz there is no such build and finally if you change the name too, then again 9.9.9 coz the device reports itself to be pre+ whereas the build-info will be reporting something as pre3 or pre2, So until some carrier comes out with a 2.2.4 build and we copy the build-info from its doctor to ours, we cant get our profile to update.
    I sent you a PM, we can make the build mark 2.2.4 to the palm profile, but as I already detailed the pitfalls (in a previous post), as it will think it is a Pre2 (it will know you are a Pre/PrePlus and on your carrier), but the update daemon will see a webOS 2.2.4 update (Carrier specific files and Kernel) and it will attempt to update but will fail as the pre-check will know you are a Pre/PrePlus not a Pre2... I want full functionality of the update daemon and not having HP/Palm come down on us for making their servers go nuts. So it is reporting webOS 2.1.0, as that is the last build for the Pre/PrePlus at this time.

3. Ls-Hubd error, It searches for the permissions in build named roadrunner whereas the current build is castle, so if you replace this daemon, majority of ls-hubd errors will go away except one pointing to luna-service 125...this here is v125 whereas the loaded one is 131.6 (or 131.9...something like 131.*) and thus it doesn't find the requred files. How to fix this one, not yet figured out.
    I changed the files and did not besides the alerts in the message log I did not see any difference in build stability nor in functionality, even though we see these alerts there is no loss of functionality with or without these changes...

4. ActivityManager, Though i dont have a proper reason for this one, but replacing it has soothing effects and based on my findings, I guess it is part of the various daemons that are build-specific - roadrunner based currently.
    I have also replaced this daemon, but again did not find any stability or performance changes with or without this change, also did not see any alert changes in the message log.

I am sure about a few things, the kernel sets up the environment, the daemons want to see roadrunner, but the existing kernels all setup the environment of castle, so in my Pre2 kernel compiled on the PrePlus I have left those alone (left to roadrunner) and I am testing...

Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Also the heat problem is a voltage of the CPU is incorrect, this is because the existing kernels are reporting castle variables (I believe) and the daemons are all looking for roadrunner CPU variables (remember the CPUs are from the same family, but they have different core voltages and different timings). Also the memory confinements of a Pre vs a PrePlus also do not help, webOS 2.2.4 seems to eat a lot of resources.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/02/2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Not sure what you mean detects, explain where you see this, as when I use novaterm it works, and when I use webOS Installer I see Pre not Pre2... Please explain where do you see Pre2?
    Its not that easy to see this, as doesn't show in the normal views, but set a password for devmode and then launch WSQI, that password screen will tell you that.

Also without putting your Pre in recovery mode try doctoring it, it will fail saying device type = roadrunner and doctor_type = castle.

FYI i have already tried modifying that roadrunner text to castle in the daemon, but it corrupts the daemon, be in linux, be in windows, used advanced utilities too. Haven't tried Mac and also donno any other way, you might know how to do it, try it yourself.

I changed the files and did not besides the alerts in the message log I did not see any difference in build stability nor in functionality, even though we see these alerts there is no loss of functionality with or without these changes...
    Am not sure why did not you see performance difference, but am surely seeing improvements. Anyway if it eliminates the error messages then should be considered, though even i have doctored currently and am myself testing. hope to find positive results.

By the way, What is up with this PmWsfDaemon, I dont think its build specific, Yea PmNetConfigmanager is, But Why is that daemon spoiling my mood
    Last edited by mayank; 02/02/2012 at 08:40 AM.
    -Mayank Mall
  13.    #473  
    Its not that easy to see this, as doesn't show in the normal views, but set a password for devmode and then launch WSQI, that password screen will tell you that.

Also without putting your Pre in recovery mode try doctoring it, it will fail saying device type = roadrunner and doctor_type = castle.

FYI i have already tried modifying that roadrunner text to castle in the daemon, but it corrupts the daemon, be in linux, be in windows, used advanced utilities too. Haven't tried Mac and also donno any other way, you might know how to do it, try it yourself.
    Fresh reboot of phone, connect to USB of computer... run the java -jar file.jar

com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger startJob
    INFO: Started:Battery Charger Stage
    Getting Into Update Mode: Rebooting into update mode
    Getting Into Update Mode: Waiting for device to come back

Do not see it rejecting the Build?
    Fresh reboot of phone, connect to USB of computer... run the java -jar file.jar

com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run

Do not see it rejecting the Build?
    I dont get his, it should say device type match for castle, where is that message?
    You tried setting a password in devmode and launch WebOS Quick Launch?

You sure you using the castle build and not roadrunner, I know you would be but just in case!
    -Mayank Mall
  15.    #475  
    I dont get his, it should say device type match for castle, where is that message?
    You tried setting a password in devmode and launch WebOS Quick Launch?

You sure you using the castle build and not roadrunner, I know you would be but just in case!
    I did not set a DEVMODE password...

Will try that and see if there is any difference...

FYI My PrePlus is my primary phone, I am sure I used the correct one...

INFO: got controller
    com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.GoIntoUpdateModeStage run
    WARNING: rebooting probably caused this exception
    err -13 "Command: run file:///sbin/tellbootie recover. Reply:Access denied"
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.handleReply(NovacomDevice.java:96)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.issueCommand(NovacomDevice.java:170)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.runProgram(NovacomDevice.java:241)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.GoIntoUpdateModeStage.run(GoIntoUpdateModeStage.java:36)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.ChargeBatteryStage.run(ChargeBatteryStage.java:118)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger.run(BatteryCharger.java:53)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Now with password set can't doctor device gets access denied...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/02/2012 at 09:06 AM.
    mayank likes this.
    Now with password set can't doctor device gets access denied...
    You wont be able to doctor with password set, am asking you to actually launch webos quick install. It will show a password window where device type would be palm pre 2, atleast was my case.

And while doctoring, did you put it in recovery mode, if yes, then you dont have to do that, boot your phone into normal mode, and then try doctoring, Ubuntu Linux permits doctoring without putting the phone in recovery whereas Windows does not. Again never tried Mac.
    -Mayank Mall
  17.    #477  
    You wont be able to doctor with password set, am asking you to actually launch webos quick install. It will show a password window where device type would be palm pre 2, atleast was my case.

And while doctoring, did you put it in recovery mode, if yes, then you dont have to do that, boot your phone into normal mode, and then try doctoring, Ubuntu Linux permits doctoring without putting the phone in recovery whereas Windows does not. Again never tried Mac.
    Use novaterm -t {the password you set} -c login

then ran the jar...

Getting Into Update Mode: Finished

Went into update mode and a killed it before... as I did not want to flash it...

FYI I am always in normal mode when I have doctored, sense the build got to version 26, I have never used the recovery mode...

Using WebOS Quick Install (v4.4.0) I do see the Palm Pre 2, but once I am in, in the Device field it states Palm Pre.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/02/2012 at 09:21 AM.
    When you launch WSQI it will ask you to enter password, only this screen tells you that, none other would. You'll need to have password enabled.

Got it, ran a pre 3 doctor, got this message too..."got devices 1", you actually have to let it continue even further until it reboots....try longer and then quit it Ctrl^C

For safety, try the webos quick install thing, dont want you to tamper your build.
    -Mayank Mall
  19.    #479  
    When you launch WSQI it will ask you to enter password, only this screen tells you that, none other would. You'll need to have password enabled.

Got it, ran a pre 3 doctor, got this message too..."got devices 1", you actually have to let it continue even further until it reboots....try longer and then quit it Ctrl^C

For safety, try the webos quick install thing, dont want you to tamper your build.
    INFO: -----checkAndInstallDrivers
    Getting Into Update Mode: Finished
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.MainFlasher <init>
    INFO: +++++MainFlasher
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.MainFlasher runnerFinished
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.MainFlasher configureFlasherThread
    INFO: Start time 1328196283243
    INFO: looking for /resources/webOS.tar
    INFO: com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.MainFlasher is loaded from: file:/webosdoctorp224preplus-verizon-2.2.4.jar
    INFO: jarFile path is: /webosdoctorp224preplus-verizon-2.2.4.jar
    INFO: full path of the baseBuild file outside jar is: /jds-verizon-preplus-2.2.4/webOS.tar
    INFO: full path of the customizationBuild file outside jar is: /jds-verizon-preplus-2.2.4/wr.tar
    INFO: found resource in jar
    INFO: Base build file found inside jar and loaded sucessfully
    INFO: Customization build file found inside jar and loaded sucessfully
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger endJob
    INFO: Battery Charging Done
    com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Starting: Battery Charger Stage

INFO: Finished: Battery Charger Stage

INFO: Found DeviceType match for : castle

INFO: device believed to be in bootloader, will load ramdisk

INFO: Starting: Loading Ramdisk

INFO: Loading Ramdisk: count is 11889926

INFO: update Loading Ramdisk 20

INFO: Loading Ramdisk: leftToWrite 11889926

INFO: Loading Ramdisk: leftToWrite 11824390

INFO: Loading Ramdisk: leftToWrite 11627782

com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream logWarning
    WARNING: SocketException Cmd: mem://
    com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream logWarning
    WARNING: Handled Exception Cmd: mem://
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

This is where I broke the connection, as I do not wish to flash my device...

Notice It did state INFO: Found DeviceType match for : castle
    Finally atleast you know where it comes, now I am clueless why it states as match, mine always stated as device_type = roadrunner, FYI I have tried using the normal script too without modifications. Would be waiting for someone else to confirm, also i guess you might have made many changes to your existing build which might have fixed few issues unknowingly, which in real are still there.
    -Mayank Mall