Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Went thru the script again and tested the kernel modules from Pre2, guess what they worked on PrePlus... removed porting them from webOS 2.1.0 source and now left the Pre2 versions, everything has been working fine for my device for 16 hours... My device still locked up... but I see a lot less kernel messages referring to issues... Still working on replacing the PrePlus Kernel with a mashed Pre2 Kernel but as my testing has come further these updates might help?

Please try it out and let me know if there are issues...
    Can i install the kernel directly from the pre 2's ipk i download from the feeds?
    -Mayank Mall
  2.    #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayank View Post
    Can i install the kernel directly from the pre 2's ipk i download from the feeds?
    We still need to use the PrePlus Kernel (it is modified to work on the OMAP 3430), the Pre2 has a OMAP 3630 and is not backwards compatible... So the answer is no... Do not use the Pre2 kernel on a PrePlus Device...

The Kernel modules (.ko) seem to be backwards compatible...
    We still need to use the PrePlus Kernel (it is modified to work on the OMAP 3430), the Pre2 has a OMAP 3630 and is not backwards compatible... So the answer is no... Do not use the Pre2 kernel on a PrePlus Device...

The Kernel modules (.ko) seem to be backwards compatible...

So, re-doctor again, i just finished setting up the os......can i get an ipk, can it be grabbed from the new scripted doctor.
    -Mayank Mall
  4.    #444  
    So, re-doctor again, i just finished setting up the os......can i get an ipk, can it be grabbed from the new scripted doctor.
    If you run the new script it creates the structure needed...

Under build/test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4/rootfs/boot these are the files that should have not changed (as these are all from webOS 2.1.0)

Under build/test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/* now these all changed but one the WIFI driver...

So if you were to grab that structure copy it to your USB drive then copy (backup what you had so you can go back/compare etc..) over your devices copies (/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/) now you will have the Pre2 modules...

Let me know how that goes and look at the messages log (Compare before/after boots)...
    Am glad you tried it.

For info, what kernel are you on? And you seem to have a touchstone, can you confirm exhibition mode being disabled when on touchstone. John had this problem, though he did not try the script yet.

By the way, it would be greater help if you post your messages log file from /var/log/ directory.

I guess touchstone is causing some troubles there, and its the powerd again....wan't your log first, and anyway you should be able to turn to other options like lock-screen on touchstone(default), for the time being, until John comes up with something better and or kernel replacement, maybe the only trouble, though doesn't seem to me as the only one.
    I've been using F105 kernel at 700 with 500 voltage tweak as recommended. Do have TouchStone, with which Exhibition works when not turned off with Brightness Unlocked.

I'm installing the latest script at the moment. Will PM logs from that version in a bit.
    mayank likes this.
    John, the new script has Disable_upload_daemon set to 0, why is there a need to re-enable it?
    -Mayank Mall
  7.    #447  
    John, the new script has Disable_upload_daemon set to 0, why is there a need to re-enable it?
    The Verizon script has always let the update daemon to function 0 means enabled, 1 means disable... As the other scripts I can't test most are set to 1.

FYI I am testing a new script... Uses pre2 doctor as default... Noticed D.A.R.E. was not working... Could not get the crypto file systems to work with build 285 doctor, so switched it... This fixes a lot of messages alerts...
    ... This fixes a lot of messages alerts...

Well looking at the log, i can confirm the fix of those errors, a lot of'em. Still see that ls-hubd permission error, but doesn't seem important at all.

Before i begin with anything else, wanted to confirm that when logging into accounts, in the messaging app does it not show the options to set the avaibility status of indiavidual accounts? Past 2-3 doctors i cant see individual accounts in it. It shows just three option(avail, busy, offline)....and thats exactly where most of the time my os freezes, be it any script. Cant remember but i did saw individual account options in it, and that was 2.2...FYI i had messaging plugins installed and never removed a account, so one unkown jabber account always stays until i reinstall the plugins.

EDIT: Got it, Dont Worry About the Messaging thing.
    Last edited by mayank; 01/29/2012 at 02:24 PM.
    -Mayank Mall
  9.    #449  
    Well looking at the log, i can confirm the fix of those errors, a lot of'em. Still see that ls-hubd permission error, but doesn't seem important at all.
    Updated the scripts to version 28, posted on 1st post and pushed to github, Rod approved...

What is different... Well D.A.R.E was not working... Why because the trenchcoat was creating the wrong file system... as it was based on the PrePlus doctor the file system was not creating a crypto cache... this has been fixed by using the Pre2 doctor and mashing it to be a PrePlus Doctor... Still will report webOS 2.1.0 to Palm Profile (did test reporting as webOS 2.2.4 for a while, but as it thought it was a Pre2 it was wanting to update it -- not a good thing)...

So now if one looks at the messages log they will see this...
    user.info mountcrypt[1181]: mounting /dev/mapper/store-mojodb store-cryptodb
    user.info mountcrypt[1181]: reading file key /var/palm/data/store-cryptodb.key
    user.info mountcrypt[1181]: runcmd cryptsetup store-cryptodb /dev/mapper/store-mojodb returns 0
    user.info mountcrypt[1181]: mounting /dev/mapper/store-filecache store-cryptofilecache
    user.info mountcrypt[1181]: runcmd cryptsetup store-cryptofilecache /dev/mapper/store-filecache returns 0
    001-mountcrypt: mounting encrypted filesystems

Used to fail...
    user.notice /etc/event.d/finish-poststart.d/001-mountcrypt: mount /var/db returns 0
    ser.notice /etc/event.d/finish-poststart.d/001-mountcrypt: mount /var/file-cache returns 0
    001-mountcrypt: plaintext file systems
    mayank likes this.
    Version 28 installed. Logs from about first hour attached. Default kernel for now. Ran very hot initially, cooled down after connecting wifi. We'll see how it goes.

Version 27 didn't make it through the night on charger (not on TouchStone).
    Last edited by Tim Dugan; 01/31/2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Updated the scripts to version 28, posted on 1st post and pushed to github, Rod approved...

Man, Why didn't i read this 2 mins back, redoctored for no reason, time waste....But You ROCK

First Look at the New Script 28,
    The First Use app Lacks Languages I guess, I just saw English and Espanol, Though English is what I Needed

EDIT: For those having some problem with the messaging app, thought it would be helpful to tell you that advanced system behavior and advanced system preferences - messaging, helps. Mine doesn't freeze anymore on that status selection list. Earlier with three options as above, it used to hang but now i have account specific options which works better than normal.

Also, it seems to me that the new kernel modules as from script 27 have brought some form of understanding with the powerd. I dont see any message as i used to infact i tried the new script with powerd module and it hanged whereas the original one did not. So now that the tables have turned, I am happy again with the stability of the newer version. Good work John, You hold the credits to all the growth.

EDIT2: There is still some problem with ls-hubd permissions, advanced preferences - system prefs. enabled, switched haptic feedback on and the log says:
    -> webos-device user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: ERROR: "com.palm.vibrate" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "org.webosinternals.lumberjack" (requester pid: 15582, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")

OTHER ERRORS FROM THE SAME PROCESS (ls-hubd)
    -> user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-roadrunner/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-131.2/131.2/src/hub/security.c:913

->webos-device user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: Unable to push role (requester pid: "17579", requester exe: "/usr/palm/nodejs/node", requester cmdline: "ca.canucksoftware.systoolsmgr.jsjsjs&$quot$;)

---------
    I dont get the cause for this error, but now am having something as if these are important. So how many of you see these, and who knows the fix. And what is this ls-hub daemon, by the way.

And apart from that haptic feedback thing rest of the preferneces work so actually advanced patches work, and dont try keeping haptic feedback enabled, it will lead to another hang, i have tried that before in previous versions.

EDIT3: What is that ls-hubd thing, well this page clears it all, but those errors, yet to be solved.

EDIT4: the first one in 'Other errors' section above, states roadrunner, so i tried various things associated with this ls-hubd and found that "luna-services2" is the core module for it. Tried adding that module to the script, and while the os began to flash it reported error, doctor_type = castle device_type = roadrunner. So i rebooted the phone in recovery mode and ran the doctor manually, it began flashing. Now flashing is done.

Those errors, they still exist, but now the folder is castle in place of roadrunner in those errors. Though profile still stuck at 2.1 and novacomd still thinks its a pre 2

Checking if this change helps, testing the module = "luna-service2"

EDIT5: Ok, this module addition, did solve the ls-hubd permission errors on other areas except luna-service.

Previously errors like ->{ls-hubd.public}: Unable to get permission from JSON (/usr/share/ls2/roles/pub/com.palm.deviceprofile.json).......they are no more in my log but that luna-service error(Error 1 in OTHER).

Originally from v28 Doctor
    ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-roadrunner/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-131.2/131.2/src/hub/security.c:1157

From luna-service2 module addition to v28
    ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-castle/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-125/125/src/hub/security.c:1154

-------------------------

One important thing:
    - Does anyone see those new options of autodownload mms and delivery report (toggle button), in messaging preferences?

Well i see it currently and my os no more freezes upon that status chaging problem as mentioned above.
    Last edited by mayank; 01/30/2012 at 11:31 AM.
    -Mayank Mall
    The script replaces files, copying from the luna-prefs 2.1.0 over luna-prefs 2.2.4, in the folder /etc/prefs/properties....but i guess one file named "productLineVersion" stays unchanged because it doesn't exist in 2.1 doctor and thus is untouched.

The file says version 1.2, referring to Pre 2. Checking Pre 3, the same file reports product line version as 3.0, But there isn't such a file in Pre+ Doc. I guess if these files are specially replaced then the missing file must be creating some trouble.

I am not sure, You temme !!!

Also what DMMODEL does your device info app reports, until the changes i made, mine reported P101UEU, whras now it is correct P101EWW.
    Last edited by mayank; 01/30/2012 at 10:35 AM.
    -Mayank Mall
    I have the "new" options in messaging. Have seen them before.

With Version 28 script, after a few battery pulls (updating apps seems to heat things up), made it through the night while plugged in to charger. That's a first for me.

Everything seems to be working.

We'll see how the day goes, and then try F105 again. Then maybe some time on TouchStone.

FYI, I have Verizon PrePlus.
    Last edited by Tim Dugan; 01/30/2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to quote
    mayank likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post
    I had to reset and erase my data, had various problems, thereafter i redoctored and saw those options for the first time, thus was curious.

Even i have a vzw pre+, what model does your device info app reports in the more indo section, P101EWW or P101UEU
    -Mayank Mall
  15.    #455  
    The script replaces files, copying from the luna-prefs 2.1.0 over luna-prefs 2.2.4, in the folder /etc/prefs/properties....but i guess one file named "productLineVersion" stays unchanged because it doesn't exist in 2.1 doctor and thus is untouched.

The file says version 1.2, referring to Pre 2. Checking Pre 3, the same file reports product line version as 3.0, But there isn't such a file in Pre+ Doc. I guess if these files are specially replaced then the missing file must be creating some trouble.

I am not sure, You temme !!!

Also what DMMODEL does your device info app reports, until the changes i made, mine reported P101UEU, whras now it is correct P101EWW.
    I looked into the Luna-prefs and Luna-service2 and did not find anything for reverting them back to webOS 2.1.0...

FYI the DMMODEL comes from the NV tokens on your device, the script does not changes those...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post

With Version 28 script, after a few battery pulls (updating apps seems to heat things up), made it through the night while plugged in to charger. That's a first for me.

Everything seems to be working.

We'll see how the day goes, and then try F105 again. Then maybe some time on TouchStone.

FYI, I have Verizon PrePlus.
    I have noticed the power better after the Pre2 kernel modules are used over the PrePlus, but I am still having freezes/lock ups...

I had to reset and erase my data, had various problems, thereafter i redoctored and saw those options for the first time, thus was curious.

Even i have a vzw pre+, what model does your device info app reports in the more indo section, P101EWW or P101UEU
    Never changed the messaging app as part of the script so those should be the same...

FYI updated the script to version 29... removed two modules and updated the logic now the JAR file name is more meaningful to the user...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/30/2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Reports P101EWW
    For those that remember the Apple Newton, it was the first PDA, actually more of a pen driven slate computer, that came about back in the 80's. It wasn't very popular, despite have what has been argued to be the best OS of its day (sound familiar?) and wasn't on the market very long. It did spend some years as a specialty device used by the armed forces.

But, it developed a small but devoted following that supported it, and each other, wrote apps for it, even did repairs on hardware, for about 10 years after it originally left the market.

I think that is what we have here. Possibly the best operating system ever written, on devices that should have been contenders, but weren't. But, almost since day one, it has had the best user support ever, in the form of the WebOS Internals folks and others, doing more for it than Palm or HP ever could. Now (I'm guestimating), we are nearly 3 years out since the first Pre, almost 2 years since HP bought Palm, and at least 6 months since they abandoned them in short order, leaving the fate of WebOS unsupported again, except by its devoted users. And that doesn't even touch on all the Franken Pre's out there.

My hope, like everyone else, is that WebOS will end up in the hands of an ethical company, that has resources, vision, and cares about its customers enough to not leave us hanging. But, even if it doesn't, it might still be there, 10 years from now, just like the Newton.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  18.    #458  
    Ok, I have modified the build to version 30...
    This version will create a new directory under meta-doctor called kernels... This will store the PrePlus kernel to import into the Pre2 doctor...

The reason, to import other kernels into the build, as I am testing a modified Pre2 kernel with PrePlus I wanted to test the logic and see if it works in the masses...

FYI there is also a getf105 posted on first post which will build and extract the f105 thundercheif kernel... This script needs to be copied to the scripts directory it is not included in the github (I do not wish to make anyone mad). The script was designed on a MAC and works on my system, it may not work on your system. If it does not work PM me and I can explain what to do to make it work... Once the F105 kernel is in the kernels directory version 30 of the scripts will use that as the default instead of the the Palm Kernel.

getf105 script was removed and replaced with the others.zip please read the readme.txt for further information...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/01/2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Tim Dugan likes this.
    With a few tweaks to the getf105 script (with help from John), Version 30 works like a charm. Still overheating/locking up during initial updating of installed apps (maybe I have too many). F105 kernel runs at 500 until installing Govnah.

Version 29 locked up after sitting on TouchStone all night. Brightness still not working right.

More tweaking needed, but it keeps getting better!
    Im sorry to bother you guys here,but ive got Ubuntu 11 installed and everytime i try and install the novacom drivers sdk or virtual box it kicks me to the ubantu software center and says it cant find the package requested. Any ideas? I shouldve gone with LinuxMint,but the Wubi for it isnt working right with the KDE version,so i downloaded LXDE cause im not fond of the new Unity gui. Anyways any ideas on how to make it see the downloaded packages? It wont see them in the terminal either.