Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 718
Like Tree78Likes
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Just out of curiosity and pretty off-topic here: How can there be custom 2.2.4 kernels for the Pre and Pre+ while there's no official Doctor available for them for this version? Rod said that for the Veer there won't be any Uberkernels or other custom kernels until HP releases the 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 officially by means of a Doctor and source code?

    Is there any way someone could take the 2.2.4 Pre2 or Pre3 kernel source code and compile a kernel that would work on the Veer?
    It's a mix between 2.2.4 & 2.1, using updates of 2.2.4, on 2.1's kernel
    webOS Italia Community Manager

    User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
  2. #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    It's a mix between 2.2.4 & 2.1, using updates of 2.2.4, on 2.1's kernel
    OK I'm quite a newbie to webOS still Just got my first webOS device after the firesale and in love with the OS ever since

    Any guides available how we might be able to run the 2.1.1/2.1.2 kernels for the Veer on 2.2.3/2.2.4?
  3. #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Any guides available how we might be able to run the 2.1.1/2.1.2 kernels for the Veer on 2.2.3/2.2.4?
    Why is it that you want to change the kernel, i guess the original one would be quite stable on the Veer, if you are having any trouble with it, then its not the kernel but some incompatible thing that u have had installed on it.
    And i think you did not get Dmeister right, you can't run 2.1.x kernel on 2.2.x, anyway if you'd be able to you would not want to, i can be pretty sure the updated one would be better.
    -Mayank Mall
  4. #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayank View Post
    Why is it that you want to change the kernel, i guess the original one would be quite stable on the Veer, if you are having any trouble with it, then its not the kernel but some incompatible thing that u have had installed on it.
    And i think you did not get Dmeister right, you can't run 2.1.x kernel on 2.2.x, anyway if you'd be able to you would not want to, i can be pretty sure the updated one would be better.
    Just that the Uberkernels for the Veer are a lot quicker compared to the stock ones
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I had mine lockup on the touchstone as well: Per unixpsycho, in the SR71 Blackbird, F105 Thunderchief, & F104 Starfighter testing kernels thread, I've raised the voltage on the 500mhz setting (I bumped it up from 1200mV to 1225mV) and setup a profile that keeps the setting locked at Screenstate v3/500mhz that I switch to while the phone is on the touchstone overnight. I think it might be helping.

    Other than the charger glitch, it's definitely very nice - just about as snappy as my Pre 2 and very stable.

    I also have compcache disabled now, and have a *huge* (1GB) swap file setup that I don't think I've gotten into yet but it's gotten close (up to about 480mb in memory). On a Sprint Pre, increasing the swap file might be particularly helpful. I'll see how the swap file works if/when it's needed. I also think that the 'system control optimization' and 'disk cache mod' patches from the 2.2.3 feed are helping smooth and speed things up.

    I'm pretty happy with it!
    I did not change anything else just the voltage setting create a new profile... No more lock ups when on touchstone... (wanted to stay without any other patches to report back)...

    webOS 2.2.4 on my PrePlus rocks... most stable (for the past day) then I have ever had in the past years, (would have to set preset reset to reboot every 12 hours)... gone a day and a half with no reboot.... Painfully Stable now even on touchstone... I can not thank unixpsycho enough for this wonderful build...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsanta View Post
    John, any fool proof instructions to change the psycho kernel to handle 2.2.4?
    I'm stuck on the default kernel. No luck with Uberkernel either, not stable at all.

    Else I think I can handle a couple of battery pulling days until the kernel compatibility is updated

    Best regards,
    Josť Ignacio Santa Cruz
    There is no such thing as a fool proof plan, it will work for some it will not work for others...

    Several ways to get kernel, assume you do not want to follow unixpsycho Google route...

    Drop on by Index of /beta/kernels/2.1.0/ and get org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-f105-kernel-pre_2.1.0-88_arm.ipk .

    Now how to install, copy it to your USB drive on your phone, once there use a tool like Internalz Pro (make sure Master mode is turned on, and IPK Installer is set), browse to /etc and open palm-build-info change top string from HP webOS 2.2.4 to HP webOS 2.1.0, now browse to /media/internal (this is the USB drive) and find the IPK you put there. Click it and it will install the kernel... When done, browse back to /etc and open palm-build-info change top string from HP webOS 2.1.0 back to HP webOS 2.2.4. Boom... Now reboot... Now use Govnah to create a new Profile (change the voltage for the 500MHz from 1200mV to 1225mV, save as a new profile (call it what ever you wish), select the profile you just created... if all went well (it should but again standard what works for me might not work for you...) when you reboot you will see HP logo, see Linux Boot screen, the HP flashing logo then webOS 2.2.4.

    Now hope that is as fool proof as I can make it... But if you want to use Google (or Yahoo, or Bing, you favorite search engine) below, it is your friend, you can avoid changing anything and just run the native 2.2.4 ipk's floating around...

    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    There are real 2.2.4 ipk's floating around. Google is your friend.
    Great point...

    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    As I noted earlier, with the ThunderChief installed, I was having trouble with a lockup overnight on the touchstone and bumped up the voltage from 1200 to 1225mV for 500mhz and that seems to have solved it. So, I have 3 profiles now: SSv3- 500/500 (for overnight TS charging) w/voltage bump; SSv3 - 500/700 (just because); SSv3 - 500/1005 (just because it can!). Seems rock solid and not much different than my Pre 2 (running f104a @ 1100) in terms of responsiveness and stability.

    FWIW, I agree the 'system control optimization' patch is helpful, although I'm not using it anymore (just don't seem to need it). I do still have the 'disk cache mod' patch installed. As far as swap, I went crazy and created a 1GB swap partition that I don't think is being used at all. I have compcache disabled, now.

    I also tried out jStop, just because, and it seemed to cause problems. After uninstalling jStop, some of my programs were acting like they were running for the first time, I can't say why. YMMV.
    I have not added any patches for system control or disk cache... and it is working fine...

    I have used JSTop and not had any issues...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/12/2012 at 08:11 AM.
    mayank likes this.
  6. #306  
    How do you actually install this? This thread has a lot to go thru, but no instructions in the first post.
  7. #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by trowany View Post
    How do you actually install this? This thread has a lot to go thru, but no instructions in the first post.
    Look at the meta-doctor page of webos-internals.org. Do all the steps explained there, except that, after you ran the git command, you navigate to the meta-doctor/scripts directory and copy the file you need(for example test-wr-preplus 2.2.4 or test-verizon pre 2.2.4 or whatever you need for your phone) to the meta-doctor directory. Then just double-click on it and select: "run in terminal". I assume you already know that you have to have ubuntu installed and your phone connected. Let it finish, then you're done!
  8. #308  
    So right now this is just for someone that is a programmer, having Ubantu installed?
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Just that the Uberkernels for the Veer are a lot quicker compared to the stock ones
    same answer as before, unless the webos source code is out, you wouldn't be able to get any kernel replacement on veer. Though there are various available patches in the feed which can solve your problem of quick responsiveness....beginning with Mojo*

    And also you can use govnah to modify few of the kernel settings if you need which i wouldn't recommend though.
    -Mayank Mall
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by trowany View Post
    So right now this is just for someone that is a programmer, having Ubantu installed?
    You needn't be a programmer, its just cope-paste commands, refer the site....and having Ubuntu or any other linux is kind of a requisite. And you can easily install ubuntu inside windows or in a vitual hdd using virtualbox or vmware. Just download an approx. 600mb ubuntu iso and mount it, rest is as simple as installing a new software in windows.
    -Mayank Mall
  11. #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There is no such thing as a fool proof plan, it will work for some it will not work for others...

    Several ways to get kernel, assume you do not want to follow unixpsycho Google route...

    Drop on by Index of /beta/kernels/2.1.0/ and get org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-f105-kernel-pre_2.1.0-88_arm.ipk .

    Now how to install, copy it to your USB drive on your phone, once there use a tool like Internalz Pro (make sure Master mode is turned on, and IPK Installer is set), browse to /etc and open palm-build-info change top string from HP webOS 2.2.4 to HP webOS 2.1.0, now browse to /media/internal (this is the USB drive) and find the IPK you put there. Click it and it will install the kernel... When done, browse back to /etc and open palm-build-info change top string from HP webOS 2.1.0 back to HP webOS 2.2.4. Boom... Now reboot... Now use Govnah to create a new Profile (change the voltage for the 500MHz from 1200mV to 1225mV, save as a new profile (call it what ever you wish), select the profile you just created... if all went well (it should but again standard what works for me might not work for you...) when you reboot you will see HP logo, see Linux Boot screen, the HP flashing logo then webOS 2.2.4.

    Now hope that is as fool proof as I can make it... But if you want to use Google (or Yahoo, or Bing, you favorite search engine)
    You might want to add a line to your plan for the noobs about making sure to select "LINUX" as your Newline format in the Text Editor under "Preferences" in Internalz. I think it defaults to "WINDOWS" if you don't change it manually when you set it up. Not sure if it makes a difference, but you did elude to "fool proof"... & thanks for the info!
  12. #312  
    Use wubi if noobs
    webOS Italia Community Manager

    User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
  13. #313  
    John thanks for the explanation! I think they're quite fool proof, at least for me.
    Anyway I Googled and didn't find anything except a link for the UnixPsycho beta kernel feed. There I found a F105 kernel for 2.2.4 without any special tweaking. Not really clear if it is the 88 build, but it's far more stable than UberKernel, even though I've had some freezes and battery pulls.

    Best regards,
    Josť Ignacio Santa Cruz G.
  14. #314  
    Currently running the Doctor on my o2 pre plus (I knew I would get round to it). As I type, it has just hit the HP boot logo so we'll see what happens

    *edit*
    Accidentally forgot to disable activation/first use. it wouldn't accept the 2nd profile I already set up for it, so I created a new one. it locked up and then wouldn't boot after that (constant battery pulls). Going to doctor again and disable first use, etc...
    Last edited by stickerboy; 01/12/2012 at 04:42 PM.
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post
    Currently running the Doctor on my o2 pre plus (I knew I would get round to it). As I type, it has just hit the HP boot logo so we'll see what happens

    *edit*
    Accidentally forgot to disable activation/first use. it wouldn't accept the 2nd profile I already set up for it, so I created a new one. it locked up and then wouldn't boot after that (constant battery pulls). Going to doctor again and disable first use, etc...
    You may find the random lockups occur with the stock kernel installed no matter what you do - I did. Prior to installing the Thunderchief Kernel, I enabled compcache using Govnah which, helps a bit. (w/ TC installed, I then disabled compcache.)
  16. #316  
    Yeah hopefully I can get one of the other kernels installed. Running another doctor now
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
  17. #317  
    Eeps, double post (hides from teh mods :P) - but I got it working now. Device registers as 2.2.4, skype account signed in and test call made a for a few minutes. Preware installed along with Govnah. It does seem a bit laggy, so maybe once I get another Kernel installed and a few tweaks, it will run a bit better.
    Still need to enable alpha feeds to test Thunderchief, I may leave that until tomorrow though. Doesn't seem to be getting too warm at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on device temp. If there's any logs or info anyone would like/need or any tests that can be run, let me know
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
  18. #318  
    You'll need to change palm-build-info (in text editor, change 2.2.4 to to 2.1.0) in order to install TC - at least that's what I had to do. . .
  19. #319  
    For not familiar with linux OS you can use Slitaz Linux with VMware inside windows, very simple, only 40Mb and it's work for meta-doctoring .

    now i can install enyo app for Touchpad into my Sprint Pre- . Run well : Coloring Book HD, Animal Baby Piano HD, multitouch piano hd (run but tuts so small , Kungfu Panda story book ( little hack on jsjsjs $script$ ).
    Yes it's alive...
  20. #320  
    Was able to install F105-88 but still laggy and freezing quite a bit. I'm playing with some settings (voltages, frequencies, swap, etc) and post what makes MINE stable IF I get there...

Posting Permissions