Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 718
Like Tree78Likes
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
    Will there ever be a doctor for this for a sprint pre? I'm so dumb with this I don't have linux.
    As the Carrier is the one holding the switch, Sprint switched the lights off and closed the door...

    As I understand, they had a Sprint Pre Doctor WebOS 2.0.1 (I think it was leaked, at least from the forums, against NDA), anyway Sprint never released anything beyond 1.4.5, even Verizon released an updated 1.4.5.1 (not sure what was in the update), but Sprint just ignored their customer base, a lot of Sprint Users took a Pre2 and modified it (swapped the modem board) and made do with a unofficial Sprint Pre2, and the carrier knows they have Sprint Pre2(s), then just do not care to assist their customers... I understand they got burned by Palm (so the story goes), but they turned and burned their customers... Bad business practice, but somehow Sprint Pre/PrePlus/Pre2(s) all still linger...

    I have developed a test-sprint-pre-2.2.4 script, but would not recommend it, from the above (read the thread) Pre/Pre- with 256M of ram, does not seem to handle it well...

    But besides building a doctor of your own, I will not publish illegal doctors, once HP releases the code to open source... That will be different... But for now... I can only design a script based on others and build the best meta-doctor on your own system...
  2. #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    As the Carrier is the one holding the switch, Sprint switched the lights off and closed the door...

    As I understand, they had a Sprint Pre Doctor WebOS 2.0.1 (I think it was leaked, at least from the forums, against NDA), anyway Sprint never released anything beyond 1.4.5, even Verizon released an updated 1.4.5.1 (not sure what was in the update), but Sprint just ignored their customer base, a lot of Sprint Users took a Pre2 and modified it (swapped the modem board) and made do with a unofficial Sprint Pre2, and the carrier knows they have Sprint Pre2(s), then just do not care to assist their customers... I understand they got burned by Palm (so the story goes), but they turned and burned their customers... Bad business practice, but somehow Sprint Pre/PrePlus/Pre2(s) all still linger...

    I have developed a test-sprint-pre-2.2.4 script, but would not recommend it, from the above (read the thread) Pre/Pre- with 256M of ram, does not seem to handle it well...

    But besides building a doctor of your own, I will not publish illegal doctors, once HP releases the code to open source... That will be different... But for now... I can only design a script based on others and build the best meta-doctor on your own system...
    I was actually in the process of downloading ubuntu for my pc so I could try my virgin hands at meta doctoring. If there isn't a some what stable sprint 2.2.4 script maybe I should hold off on doing the meta doctor? Basically I was hoping to be able to hi five my touch pad with links but I really do appreciate your timely response and explanation. Thank you.
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
    I was actually in the process of downloading ubuntu for my pc so I could try my virgin hands at meta doctoring. If there isn't a some what stable sprint 2.2.4 script maybe I should hold off on doing the meta doctor? Basically I was hoping to be able to hi five my touch pad with links but I really do appreciate your timely response and explanation. Thank you.
    FYI It might work fine, I do not have a Sprint Pre, just have heard others have not had much luck on a Pre vs a PrePlus, not sure if it was O2 or Bell or which carrier they are on...

    But WebOS 2.2.4 does seem to need more resources then WebOS 2.1.0, but if you are a lucky one, it might be the best thing you have ever done... then again it also might burn lots of time, just to go back to WebOS 2.1.0... (backup your data)...

    I would not say the build on the Sprint Pre is stable or unstable, just needs lots of love... This is still a testing phase even though it is ready for prime time users, users should still be aware of the pit falls... What works for some may not work for all... The PrePlus is really better suited for WebOS 2.x.x as it has a bigger memory foot print and bigger flash size (my understanding is Pre has 256M of ram and 8G of Flash, where PrePlus has 512M of ram and 16G of Flash).

    FYI WebOS 2.2.4 does allow SMS sharing (and I also create a getbt script to port the bluetooth files back to WebOS 2.1.0, look in the forums...), but Touch-to-Share is part of the A6 chip (my understanding) which the previous Palm Branded devices lack... so no web link sharing...

    Also I updated the test-sprint-pre-2.2.4 to version 24, it has now been merged in the meta-doctor list...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/04/2012 at 12:39 AM.
  4. #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    So I pulled apart the Kernel IPK...
    I am on a MAC so I used tar -xzf kernel_file and it extracted the ipk..
    then I changed the postinst and prerm to know about the 2.2.4 world...
    then used the IPK package builder and built a new IPK (3.5M when zipped)...

    As I can't post that anywhere... I can only inform other how to make a IPK to work with 2.2.4 PRE/PRE+

    I added the 2.2.4 lines in between the following lines...

    case "${VERSION}" in
    2.1.0 )
    echo "Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version"
    ;;
    2.2.4 )
    echo "Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version"
    ;;
    * )
    echo "Kernel is not compatible with this webOS version, aborting"
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

    Worked great, but... the other thing I was thinking was extracting the IPK (but GNUTAR does not seem to like the IPK even thought TAR on the MAC does...) then building a new kernel structure but if it only works on MAC, then it won't be good for the general public... but seems a lot of magic for an easy fix, have the webosinternals team post the kernel in a tar on the web, which has the correct .control, .list, & .md5sums... Rod Help...
    UberKernel/Pre 2.1.0-18 in the feed now is marked as compatible with both 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    mayank likes this.
  5. #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Also I updated the test-sprint-pre-2.2.4 to version 24, but it has not been merged in the meta-doctor list yet... waiting for Rod to approve...
    Hmm - I didn't get a notification that you had updated the pull request. I've approved it now.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    UberKernel/Pre 2.1.0-18 in the feed now is marked as compatible with both 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 ...

    -- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hmm - I didn't get a notification that you had updated the pull request. I've approved it now.

    -- Rod
    Rod Thank you...
  7. #207  
    Yea Thank You from me too....Thanks a lot Rod
    -Mayank Mall
  8. #208  
    I would look first at whether the people reporting instability are actually on a Pre- with severely limited RAM, rather than the Pre+ ...

    -- Rod
    I am on a Pre+ and have had to do several battery pulls at random times...haven't tried UK yet? Is it safe to use?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  9. #209  
    thx Jon for the scripts and Rod too
    in super scripts verizon v.24 the maps app is unable to download (! mark on the app)
    but when I tap don't download, the maps is already in there and I can use it(provided by Bing maps)
    but I think it's very stable

    in UK scripts(some page before), my pre+ become very unstable, I often need to do battery pull

    btw mine is verizon pre+
  10. #210  
    I've doctored with 21v of the script. Now would be better to re-doctorate with the 24v?!
  11. #211  
    yesteday, my Pre+ reflashed with test-verizon-2.2.4. Good work!!!
    But some software - for ex. "Piano" - use screen size as in Veer - not use all 480px .
    And have had to do several battery pulls at random times too.

    P/S
    Sorry my English.
  12. #212  
    resizing the swap partition of my pre-...

    About the kernel what news?

    EDIT: Rod my Preware doesn't see the uberkern. maybe is in alpha testing feed?
    Last edited by DMeister; 01/04/2012 at 05:59 AM.
  13. #213  
    So I installed the latest version of test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 after doing a git pull, did the restore, and went to try to install UberKernel/Pre 2.1.0-18. I added the 2.1.0 feed, found the Uberkernel, but the verification failed as shown below:

    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko

    So I went ahead and backed up the two offending files (fearless or foolish - choose one) and re-ran the UK install, then installed my 'Saved Packages List" which includes UK > Restarted > Luna won't start.

    I messed around for a bit more but eventually just did a memboot and uninstalled UK. I didn't try the earlier build w/updated palmbuildinfo to see if it's any different.

    Help?

    Full Log:
    Code:
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    verify
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    92 3425k 92 3181k 0 0 715k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:-- 724k
    100 3425k 100 3425k 0 0 698k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:-- 732k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":6, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
  14. #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    I've doctored with 21v of the script. Now would be better to re-doctorate with the 24v?!
    Its up to u
    If u feel v.21 good enough for daily use, u can stay
    But my pre+ is not my primary phone, so I can flash the latest without worry
    Cmiiw


    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    So I installed the latest version of test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 after doing a git pull, did the restore, and went to try to install UberKernel/Pre 2.1.0-18. I added the 2.1.0 feed, found the Uberkernel, but the verification failed as shown below:

    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko

    So I went ahead and backed up the two offending files (fearless or foolish - choose one) and re-ran the UK install, then installed my 'Saved Packages List" which includes UK > Restarted > Luna won't start.

    I messed around for a bit more but eventually just did a memboot and uninstalled UK. I didn't try the earlier build w/updated palmbuildinfo to see if it's any different.

    Help?

    Full Log:
    Code:
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    verify
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    92 3425k 92 3181k 0 0 715k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:-- 724k
    100 3425k 100 3425k 0 0 698k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:-- 732k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":6, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":6 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Same here
    Tried to add 2.1.0 kernel feed and found uberkernel,bu cant install the kernel
    Last edited by Trebla88; 01/04/2012 at 07:30 AM.
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by clopomor View Post
    yesteday, my Pre+ reflashed with test-verizon-2.2.4. Good work!!!
    But some software - for ex. "Piano" - use screen size as in Veer - not use all 480px .
    And have had to do several battery pulls at random times too.

    P/S
    Sorry my English.
    That is part of the WebOS 2.2.4 build, not the scripts, I have heard a few apps do not respond to the correct screen size on Pre2/Pre3 as well.

    Looking into the stability of the (Palm WebOS 2.1.0) Kernel...

    See below...

    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    I've doctored with 21v of the script. Now would be better to re-doctorate with the 24v?!
    Snip of the modules.txt file:
    Modules removed for build 24 (1 removed, 1 moved to main build, now 19 total)
    luna-pref (moved to only main build, no need to bring over twice)
    castletpfw

    Modules removed for build 23 (1 removed, now 20 total)
    pmtpupdater

    Updates for build 22
    For Verizon updates or backdates Amazon MP3 store from 74.6 to 73 (seems the colors do not show on PrePlus) no other changes were made...

    Updates for build 21
    Corrected palmbuildinfo

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla88 View Post
    thx Jon for the scripts and Rod too
    in super scripts verizon v.24 the maps app is unable to download (! mark on the app)
    but when I tap don't download, the maps is already in there and I can use it(provided by Bing maps)
    but I think it's very stable

    in UK scripts(some page before), my pre+ become very unstable, I often need to do battery pull

    btw mine is verizon pre+
    Thanks for testing the Super Scripts, I have heard about the MAPS app failing on Pre2/Pre3 as well (so WebOS 2.2.4 build issues, not script issue), but if you go into software manager and click maps (it will have a ! on it) and click download, it will download and install [it is because the build has the current version of maps, and you have downloaded maps prior (stored in your palm profile), so when the download manager looks, it gets confused, not an update... hum what do I do...]

    Quote Originally Posted by JetUni View Post
    I am on a Pre+ and have had to do several battery pulls at random times...haven't tried UK yet? Is it safe to use?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Looking into the stability of the (Palm WebOS 2.1.0) Kernel...

    Uber-Kernel is the better way to go, as it is more stable then the Stock WebOS 2.1.0 Kernel is, but I was hoping someone would do some Kernel magic, and download the Pre2 Kernel source and compile it for the Pre/PrePlus, this would give us the most stable platform... but until that day comes, we will have freezing issues... My initial theory (from looking at the Kernel messages) is that the CPU overheats and that is what is causing the issues, more people are reporting issues when they are connected to USB/TouchStone that it seems to lock up more... Or under heavy use, which heats up the CPU...

    Not sure if anyone gets Uber-Kernel installed on Pre/Pre+ but if you know how to change the Palm-Build-Info on your device, you can pull down the Kernel, then undo the changes to allow patches... Then please report, any Govnah settings and things that have made your Pre/PrePlus better...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/04/2012 at 08:44 AM.
  16. #216  
    what about install Uber-Kernel and govnah as default via Super/test-*-2.2.4 in doctors image ?
  17. #217  
    I think v.24 super script quite stable
    no battery pull for me today
    missed the speed on web browsing though because no OC yet
  18.    #218  

    Quote Originally Posted by clopomor View Post
    what about install Uber-Kernel and govnah as default via Super/test-*-2.2.4 in doctors image ?
    There is a Uber-Kernel Build (search in this thread you will find it), but it is not Super Scripted..., also leaves you at WebOS 2.1.0 Build Info, and ROM fails verification...

    But If you know how to switch your Palm-Build-Info to 2.1.0 and then install the kernel, then switch back to 2.2.4... You will have the best of both worlds...

    But if you search you will see why, at the current stage of the kernel, it is not ready to be pre-built into a doctor out of the gate...


    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla88 View Post
    I think v.24 super script quite stable
    no battery pull for me today
    missed the speed on web browsing though because no OC yet
    Thanks for testing, I am glad that it is stable on some users, can your report, anythings you have done to get to there? Did you wipe your entire USB drive? How many Apps do you have installed? Any patches? In other words try to document why yours is stable and others are not...
  19. #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post


    Thanks for testing, I am glad that it is stable on some users, can your report, anythings you have done to get to there? Did you wipe your entire USB drive? How many Apps do you have installed? Any patches? In other words try to document why yours is stable and others are not...
    no, I didnt wipe anything
    just turn off the backup---my pre coming from std scripts meta verizon pre+ 2.1.0

    first I use UK scripts and got rom verification failed at the end of flashing, and did the battery pull
    the UK scripts quite unstable and when I installed govnah, I cant change cpu freq
    I curiosly install the other kernel(AV8B harrier) and got bootloop

    then I saw the v.24 superscript and tried it, got the cpu symbol again at the end of flashing(the Dr told me that it cant restart the device)
    did the battery pull again
    after that. no more battery pull

    I just installed preware and govnah,not installing any patch at the moment
    App :
    -angry birds season free, lite, Rio(all works)
    -Pandora (works I think, but cant use it--no support for my country)
    -facebook(works)

    edit :
    just installed patch :
    -private browsing
    -video camera flashlight
    all works
    Last edited by Trebla88; 01/04/2012 at 05:59 PM.
  20. #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    But If you know how to switch your Palm-Build-Info to 2.1.0 and then install the kernel, then switch back to 2.2.4... You will have the best of both worlds...
    No ned to switch now, UberKernel/Pre is marked as compatible with 2.2.4 ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Posting Permissions