Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craftsman
  1.    #1  
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question.

I am looking at cancelling my cell service with Sprint. After I do this, is it still possible to use the Pre to play the MP3 or MP4 files that are on the phone? Or will it balk for some reason when I turn it on?

I am thinking about giving it to my young son to use.

Thanks in advance.

John
    John:

You will want to follow some of the instructions found here: StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals

In essence, if you plan on using your Palm Profile on another device, the above procedure will allow you to "keep" the phone as it is (with some caveats).
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Yep. When the service gets shut off, your Pre will still work normally. It'll be a nice little wifi device. You just won't be able to make phone calls and such.
    That'll be a nice gift for your son.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    yes
  6.    #6  
    Thank you, but I am not planning on using the profile on another device. Do I still need to do this?

Also, I'm not familiar with the internals of WebOS.

How/Where do I enter the "rm -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3" to do this?

Thanks again.

John
    This is definitely possible. I've given several deactivated pres to several people. I've always installed 2.x using the meta-doctor but you can try downloading the bypass activation tool for 1.4.x here:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html
    Last edited by phillyeagles36; 12/15/2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Palm Pre ----> Palm Pre Plus ----> Palm Pre 2---->HP TouchPad---->HP Pre 3!!!
    You should be fine as you're not using the profile on another phone. Just turn on WIFI. All your apps will be available for your son to use. No need to doctor. My daughters Pixi has been like this for 6 months. Also it's a good test to see if your kid can take care of the phone before it is activated. If that is something your looking at.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by precentral_id View Post
    Thank you, but I am not planning on using the profile on another device. Do I still need to do this?

Also, I'm not familiar with the internals of WebOS.

How/Where do I enter the "rm -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3" to do this?

Thanks again.

John
    I guess if you're not going to use the same profile on another device then you don't need to worry about any of that. The device will just continue working as usual after you deactivate it from Sprint. When connected to WiFi, you should also still be able to buy apps, surf the web, and access email/IM's like before.

Since your son will be using the device without Sprint service, here is a quick tip to make the phone battery last longer:

1. Swipe down the top right device menu and turn on "airplane mode". This will initially turn off all the radios on the phone at once (Sprint 3G/GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi).

2. Swipe down the top right device menu again, and this time select WiFi itself and turn it back on. This will turn the WiFi back on while the airplane mode still keeps the Sprint radio turned off for you. (You can also turn Bluetooth back on individually if you need that).