Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Yes, that is right. Two years ago, when shopping for a new phone, the Verizon salespeople tried their best to convince me to get a Droid. I resisted, and bought the Pre+. Big mistake.

Why? Because now that I want a new phone, and do need more apps, I may be stuck with Android. Whenever I demo an Android phone I realize how nice webOS really is. So much easier to use, such good multitasking, and great Homebrew community. If I had only gone with Android initially, I would have never known the beautiful simplicity of webOS.

I guess I could find a Verizon Pre3, but apps are still lacking. I really hope this open sourcing is the savior of our OS.
    I feel your pain. My daughter will get a Touchpad for christmas and I'm afraid she will swap her iPhone for my Pre3 after.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    I see what you mean.

I've been through so many webOS phones now, it's just hard to use anything else, especially without the keyboard. I bought my sis an Nexus S to replace her aging Xperia X10, and was test driving the phone. Was so frustrated throughout the day, I find myself cursing as I type on the virtual keyboard, and I find myself constantly trying to swipe on the "gesture area" to do things, then resort to that stupid back button on Android. And don't get me started with their notification system...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I can't imagine not owning Palm,HP phone. I have a Pre2 and that might get me through a couple of years (fingers crossed). I really wanted a Pre3 but that ain't gonna happen. Maybe open-source will get us something good. I really want a physical keyboard. Love my TP but I don't really like the VKB.

I'll just be patient.
    kayphoonstar and mauro1 like this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    same here, I've been a Pixi user for a year and a half now. Finally got my wife onto a Pre- and she loves it, finally likes her phone and actually uses it unlike her android device. As long as the webos osp works, I won't be using another device (except the sprint pre2 I asked for for xmas =p )
    Yeah, I hear you too.

The screen crack on my launch day Pre was finally too much. I went to Sprint and had a long Samsung Galaxy v. iPhone 4S debate. I got the Galaxy.

It's been two weeks and everyone is sick of me complaining about how much I miss my Pre. Sure, there are a lot of cool apps, but really basic things like pop3 emails don't work right. I never had to think about email on the Pre - for 2.5 years it always worked perfectly.

I'm still really disappointed with HP and have pretty much boycotted the TP but now I'm thinking I might need an unlocked Pre3.
    I'm glad I got my Pre cause now I have a Pre 3
    I broke down just over two weeks ago and got a Samsung Stratosphere after the USB door crack on my Pre+ started working its way into the screen. I knew the writing was on the wall. Now that the deed is done I miss my Pre so much that I still have it next to my bed sitting on the Touchstone. Now that my two week return window is past I am having terrible buyers remorse. I am impressed with the app selection of Android (although I still can't find quality replacements for some of my beloved Pre apps) and I enjoy the size and form factor more than I would have thought, but I really, REALLY don't enjoy working in Android.

I suppose it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all...
    Rockbeast likes this.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Well, this week I decided on an HTC Rezound. It is quite nice, beautiful hardware. God, if only there were webOS phones like this. I will miss the easy multitasking, but will enjoy the app choices. I still have my Touchpad for webOS. I will NOT be putting Android on it. wish I could put webOS on the Rezound.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    Well, this week I decided on an HTC Rezound. It is quite nice, beautiful hardware. God, if only there were webOS phones like this. I will miss the easy multitasking, but will enjoy the app choices. I still have my Touchpad for webOS. I will NOT be putting Android on it. wish I could put webOS on the Rezound.
    If you like webOS so well i'd recommend finding a phone that has similar GPU/CPU and other internals to the Pre3. This might allow some future porting of webos to the device. The EVO 3d is the obvious one (since WOSI folks booted webOS to it already), but there are others, like the HTC Titan (winPho).

Just my 2c.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I barely retired my pre classic today. I broke down and got a pre 3 off ebay. I love it but yeah, the lack of apps and the massive slowdown if not death of app development could hurt. I can't get over the out of box experience and don't really need many apps anyway. I really really tried to get happy with Android. I got everyone else in my family an android phone and just cannot get comfortable using it, I've tried A LOT. I, like many, keep finding myself trying to swipe things to move around, ugghhhh!!!
    Maybe ICS, since they are already pillaging webOS features, might get closer to a legitimate webOS experience. However, since webOS will be open source, I'll prolly just wait for someone to successfully port an awesome android device to a later version of webOS. At least until someone, IF they do, creates new webOS phones in the future.
    I just don't see the apps coming at any pace needed to keep up with Android and Apple since HP completely screwed the pooch on webOS.
    I used to have a Palm Pre Plus with Verizon. I mainly got it because Verizon was offering free life-time tethering on the PrePlus at the time. It had a nice interface, but the phone/OS combo was painfully slow. The darn thing took many *minutes* to boot up and the apps selection was really poor. Reminded me of the days of being a Mac owner in the late 80s and early 90s when the only good applications were on Windows PCs.

I made the switch to a iPhone 4 last year and it was a great decision. Frankly, iOS is much better. The apps selection is unparalleled in breadth and the phone is fast. Jailbreak the thing and things are even better.

Why bother with the angst of wondering about the future of your webOS phone? Just get something current (android or iphone) and don't look back. Life's too short to be stuck in nostalgia limbo on a dying platform.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    solutions to webos withdrawal (since I went thru this in September)
    1. get a touchpad - you still get webOS

2. if your phone works, leave it parked on wifi mode with airplane mode on (your apps will still work and battery life is longer cuz of airplane mode)

3. after a while the withdrawal gets a little better....(Epic 4g Samsung Galaxy S I)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pespen View Post
    Frankly, iOS is much better.
    Frankly, that is highly subjective. I sympathize with OP very much, because my subjective opinion is that using the so called "better" operating systems is pure agony. To each their own, though.

The apps selection is unparalleled in breadth and the phone is fast. Jailbreak the thing and things are even better.
    I can't argue with you about the app selection, but having moved on to Android I find that I rarely use any apps that aren't available on webOS. Don't get me wrong, I went app-happy for the first couple of months with my Evo 3D and I'd prefer to have a massive app store, but it isn't worth it to me since it means sacrificing the webOS experience. And as for the iPhone 4 being fast and even better when jailbroken- it is a hardware generation ahead of the Pre+. That said, my Pre- was more than fast enough for me after installing Preware and overclocking it. Get a Pre 2 or Pre 3 with Preware and I'm sure things get even better with webOS, too.

Why bother with the angst of wondering about the future of your webOS phone? Just get something current (android or iphone) and don't look back. Life's too short to be stuck in nostalgia limbo on a dying platform.
    I must agree that the future of webOS is not worth stressing over. Life is indeed too short for that. My philosophy is to find what works, and stick with it until it no longer works because life is too short to keep fixing what isn't broken. I personally left webOS for Android and tried not to look back, but looking forward became too painful. I no longer enjoy browsing the web or replying to txt/e-mail from my phone... I dread navigating the user interface and typing on the virtual keyboard. I tried to like it, I really did... but in the end, I just don't like it. I've played with iOS and it doesn't appeal to my taste much, either. Dying or not, I'm on the brink of returning to webOS so that I can enjoy it for as long as it is there to enjoy.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    I've tried just about everything. I'm back to webOS, veer as a daily and a pre3 as my home phone. I work with behaviorally challenged individuals, and have had several pres take kicks and break, I can't risk the pre3 there. So the veer works as a daily, thank you impostah.
    I feel I could live with wp7, but there isn't a phone currently that I really like. Plus the disappearing keyboard glitch made me return it asap. Once 8807 rolls out it will make things a lot easier though. Once the titan2 and 900 finally drop, I may go that route, but I'm not in any rush.
    Palm prē-ist.
    I totally understand man. Yesterday, i had to take in my Pre- to the Sprint store and they ordered me yet another replacement. MY SEVENTH PRE. I asked myself, why am I putting myself through this? It's such a hassle. Why don't I just go buy a GS2 or something? I even have an ATT Pre3 but I'm still on Sprint so I can't use it. Sigh...
    I wish I hadn't either, since it ended up being such a dead end. I love the flow of working in the OS, but it falls short in so many ways...

I mainly wish I hadn't because of all the $$$ I ended up wasting on it. A Pre- (then plussed later for another $80) for me and a Pixi- for the wife. At least 5 or 6 touchstones. Touchstone compatible backs for both phones. Screen protectors. All the money wasted on crappy (and some not so crappy PDK) apps.

And in the end, I switched to Android on Nov. 15th, 2010 and have really loved it since. Escpecially now on my Galaxy Nexus with ICS, a lot of good (webOS and others) ideas are in there.
    I'm an oldie i.e. palm handheld user back in the good old desktop days before palm was a phone.

Then phone & handheld got married, baby Centro was born and was perfect. It merged the phone with the palm handheld and desktop software. NICE. Then I needed to upgrade, centro was not supported so I got the pre plus over 1.5 yrs ago. Pooh.

I managed to get most all pretty darn important things to sync to the new phone. I got my requisite gmail acct, companion link etc. It was a HASSLE.

With pre, we lost features that haven't been replaced. There are things that we still need ways to back up. Read the zillion forums that began in 2009...

QUESTION: Who has gone to the I-Phone empire and did it fill in the blanks? I will have to get a bigger hand to hold it.

1 more naggy thing, I really need a cover that fits the pre. ANYONE?
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnenoir View Post
    I'm still really disappointed with HP and have pretty much boycotted the TP but now I'm thinking I might need an unlocked Pre3.
    You should purchase a Blackberry Playbook. Blackberry QNX OS has a gesture interface like webOS (IMO it is a little better than webOS) and the hardware build quality is much better than the TouchPad (I have both a Playbook and TouchPad).

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    kbumb likes this.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    It has been a long time since I posted on here. I've been using a NS4G for a while, but I miss my Pre. I turned it on again the other day for my daughter (15mos) to listen to Pandora and play with... it made me sad to see such an intuitive OS in a broken package.
    kbumb likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast