Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes
    I have flip-flopped between Pre3 and iPhone 4 & 4S for a year now. Pre 3 wins. Whenever I go back to iPhone I get so frustrated at how simple tasks just aren't simple. Apple took great strides with iOS5 but still hasn't got notifications and gestures right. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they bought into webOS and made a gesture area on the iPhone 5? Not buy it completely and close it off to the world, just a big enough investment to use the features that make us all love webOS.

Lack of apps (Draw Something! and the Zynga stable of games) is the biggest pain but I have a touchpad with ICS for that.
    heck...I broke my Droid Bionic last week and came this close to buying a Pre 2 on Verizon. Thankfully I was able to fix my Bionic replacing the digitizer, but I went back to my old Palm Treo 700p for about a week and miss everything Palm. Sorli...
    Meg Whitman should build us just ONE flagship device every 12-18 months. Something sexy, fast, good quality. That's all I want. Oh, and the homebrewers doing their stuff ofc. I'd be a happy man.
    dweiums likes this.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Meg Whitman should build us just ONE flagship device every 12-18 months. Something sexy, fast, good quality. That's all I want. Oh, and the homebrewers doing their stuff ofc. I'd be a happy man.
    Just here on my old Pre while my Nexus S 4G is being replaced (have been using the Pre since two days ago)..

Things I miss from the Pre:
    Cards/multitasking! I try to preach this to people who are diehard Droid or iOS fans, but they never used a Pre for any considerable amount of time to get it.
    The hacks. Sure Android has rooting, but Preware makes your Pre your own, not some other guy's..

Things I don't miss:
    Tiny screen!! Wow, I didn't realize how tiny the screen was til I got my Nexus S 4G.. And also, how many scratches my Pre had on it. I didn't get a single scratch on the NS4G in the 8 months I've owned one.
    Lack of apps..really.. It made me sad when I owned it, but I must say that with all the advertised numbers that Android claims, it sure is harder to find stuff in the Google Play store!
    Lack of updates! Palm/HP promised so much that never materialized. Android is moving forward quickly.

There's more to list in both categories, but this tiny Pre keyboard is cramping my thumb up! ;-).
    I found that no matter how you show people how easy webOS is they just don't get it. It takes using it for a while to appreciate it.

No wonder it was such a tough sell.
    Last edited by laingman; 04/29/2012 at 04:27 PM.
    You know, I could take this farther.

I wish my dad hadn't gotten his Palm m505.

Because then I wouldn't be the Palm junkie I am today.

on a sad note, I lost my good battery at a party
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Perfectly understand the OP's position. For my household, we've upgraded our Sprint Pre's to unlocked US GSM Pre2's and are on a month-by-month with StraightTalk on the ATT network. These our lifeboat devices that we hope will carry us through the desert into the promised land. My household has too much invested into the platform to jump on another bandwagon when we a) like the webOS and b) have no unmet needs with our portable computing platforms. With 5 Touchstones for our 3 still-in-use Pre/Pre2's (pre-teen kids have some olden Pres as gaming/music platforms), 2 more Pre's in support functions, 4 touchpad's with corresponding Touchstone bases. The Pre3 seemed too risky of a move for me. Battery factor is different, there are not that many in the wild, etc. I have about 8 Pre-sized batteries, and the ex-Sprint Pre's work GREAT as battery chargers for marathon workdays at client sites, airports, etc, but I digress.

I've looked at iOS and even though I've got plenty Apple OS X devices, iOS just doesn't measure up. I'm hopeful that Android will mature a bit more with ICS or ICS++. So at the end of 2011 I decided that I'd skip this generation, update to Pre2, and keep my options open by being month-to-month, and see how the palatable the next generation of devices are.

4 months into this journey, I'm paying on StraightTalk slightly less than I was with Sprint, and only I've lost TeleNav (the way I see it if you don't use it, you haven't really lost it). However I gained talk-n-3G capability and "International Roaming" (buying a local SIM when in-country) that CDMA just can't provide, which are much more useful to me.

So that's my advice for anyone that cares to hear it. Terminate contract with Sprint, get an unlocked Pre2, move to StraightTalk (or equivalent no-contract carrier) and play the waiting game while enjoying a more solidly-built webOS device. If/when the conditions change you'll be well positioned to make a move.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Typo is not confined to palm pre and its tiny keyboard. I can't tell the last time a got a text of any length without at least one typo, and they are not coming from palm pres
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    My household has too much invested into the platform to jump on another bandwagon when we a) like the webOS and b) have no unmet needs with our portable computing platforms.
    Even though my DH recently went to the dark side and traded in his Pre- for an iphone because he's been on Sprint, like forever; we are still heavily invested.
    *4 Touchpads (one for each of us, our daughter and another for ICS)
    *I finally gave up my PrePlus for a Pre 2 after waiting until last summer for my Pre3. I use the plus for music.
    *I bought a Verizon Pre 3, but have been pretty happy with my Pre 2. I'm trying to stretch out the life of my phones so I don't have to switch.

I've tried to use my husband's iphone, but texting and other things on it frustrates the heck out of me. I keep swiping to go back in the card (!) or i press the button to make the card smaller so i can open another app. Big screams all around.

I also have two other phones assigned to me for work: Blackberry Bold (ugh) and a Droid X. Gawd, I hate that thing. The battery life has always been tragic, its buggier than my backyard, updates chomp . . . I could go on but I'm sure I'd run out of room.

I don't care that my screen is smaller - it's supposed to be, it fits perfectly in my hand with no big boxy lines. My Pre babies got style and I love 'em. I hope they last until someone comes out with the next best killer OS and hardware, but for now web os is still the ish.

I just can't quit you . . .
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I can't believe it, but I am agreeing with the OP!! Well, I can believe it. This weekend, I reitred my 3 year old Pre - for the Galaxy Nexus and I am so mad with Multi tasking. I stream something from the web and then push the home button and the music stops!! ***!! The Pre never did that. I don't think I am going to make it on Andriod after WebOS. But the speed of clicking icons on the Galaxy is so fast that I dont know if I want to go back to the Pre and have all of the lag issues, but multi tasking has ruined me completely!!

What are we supposed to do everyone??? Hey at least I have the Touchpad to keep WebOS alive! Oh, HP, you suck T-nuts and pea soup with ham chunks in it. (I may have that soup for lunch today though). Bye
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    i too have upgraded(not really sure ill call it an upgrade or a move to something else) to a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint, the phone is nice, and ICS is pretty nice, but i wish i had gone w/ Android a long time ago, and wouldnt have fallen for the awesomeness that is webOS...grrr..

My Nexus was faster and battery life was good for the first 3 days i had it w/ minimal adjustment to settings, now its as laggy as my Pre- and just as good of a battery life, and thats w/ tweaking various battery drainers(display, background data hogs, etc..) and then theres the way Android handles processes and services...still dont believe, my battery is being drained by that....oh and signal strength on my Pre- was far better, i use to get text messages on the Metro, my local bar...and now im lucky to get 3G service or even roam

I do miss my keyboard and the size of my Pre- oh and lets not forget the mirror
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    i too have upgraded(not really sure ill call it an upgrade or a move to something else) to a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint, the phone is nice, and ICS is pretty nice, but i wish i had gone w/ Android a long time ago, and wouldnt have fallen for the awesomeness that is webOS...grrr..

My Nexus was faster and battery life was good for the first 3 days i had it w/ minimal adjustment to settings, now its as laggy as my Pre- and just as good of a battery life, and thats w/ tweaking various battery drainers(display, background data hogs, etc..) and then theres the way Android handles processes and services...still dont believe, my battery is being drained by that....oh and signal strength on my Pre- was far better, i use to get text messages on the Metro, my local bar...and now im lucky to get 3G service or even roam

I do miss my keyboard and the size of my Pre- oh and lets not forget the mirror
    Right on man. I have the Galaxy Nexus and have had like 50% of my texts get kicked back. ***! I do like the fact that a friend of mine has the Nexus on Att which he unlocked or whatever the term is called. He knows every trick in the book and has helped me tremendously trying to get me into android. He knows every app to download n all that jazz. I have 10 more days before deciding if I return it or not.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    8 months after putting my AT&T Palm Pre+ on the nightstand and moving onto Lumia 920; I find I'm still trying to flick WP apps up and away like we all got used to doing on our beloved Palms...

e'mail on pre+ was so much easier than messing with the hotmail>live>outlook.com interfaces... but I've adapted... I've evolved my thinking about desktop vs cloud sync... time for me to quit being a technological curmudgeon...

just updated the HP App Store today... so the phone will be a useful reserve if something befalls the Lumia... still not coming anywhere close to using all of our allotted data though...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylmiller View Post
    I got a Galaxy S II on Sprint. I love the thing. Maybe I can install WebOs on it someday...

Yeah.. but just watch out it doesn't do what this S3 did:

Samsung Galaxy S3 explodes, turns young woman into 'burnt pig' ? The Register

Here's a pic of the Phone!!!:::

Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123