Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Agreed, I've been with an Android phone for 8 months now, but it just lacks webosability
    carldc and laingman like this.
    Have to agree with the OP, I was in the same boat and looking to Windows Mobile at the time, and some Android. Now I am stuck with the webOS bug, and nothing compares. I bought my son a cheap Android tablet and I just started dual booting CM9 on my TouchPad....but even with fast hardware, the ICS OS is still behind webOS in functionality and simplicity. webOS in two words: Multitasking, Gestures....simple as that.

Now I just need a way to get Open webOS on a new Sprint phone, and get some apps that I have been using in CM9 to work in webOS.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I was so in love with webOS, with it's intuitiveness and overall polish, I haven't payed attention to all the hardware flaws that most users had here. The battery door crack, the oreo effect, the crappy plastic, the volume buttons dying, random shutdowns due to battery issues, etc. they are all true!

I've replaced my battery, and now at least it won't shut down, but as a user of WebOS 2.1 I have to overclock my poor Pre- to 1GHz to make it at least barely usable, and that yields massive battery drain. It can occasionally completely lock down if I don't disable and then re-enable data backups. Everything is extremely sluggish, and it takes ages for a web page to load on WiFi, and during that time, the phone is unusable. If I don't restart my phone every now and then, sound notifications become choppy and sometimes don't even play at all. Looking up a contact is like pulling teeth. Watching a YouTube video even more so. If I go back to webOS 1.5, I will lose USSD capability and won't be able to check my telco account status.

Alas, HP has deserted us... we were played... webOS - never again, unless the community grabs it's source and gets in the front seat... In the meantime, it looks as there will be no more apps for webOS. As a developer myself, I would be very cautious to develop for a failing platform. That's why I'll be switching to Android when my Pre dies, and from the looks of it, it won't be too long now
    You know this whole stacks thing? I have sconix's advanced behavior patches and the other day I had several email messages and copying and pasting between them. I said to myself, damn, not even my pc does it this good. The hell with ios and android.
    What a sad, sad thread to read. Sad because I empathize 100% with the OP and everyone else who's commiserating with him. I too find myself at a crossroads. My Sprint contract is up and my Palm Pre has now decided to sputter out on me. The touch screen has suddenly decided to ignore my finger swipes, staying on a screen it opened when I repeating swiped to get it to react and thus effectively locking me out of using it for anything else until it decides to remember how to play nicely. The device has also rebooted itself more than once lately. I've never messed with it, "Frankenpre-ing" it, because I don't feel that savvy enough to try it, so after two years, it just feels slow now.

So, lately I've been debating what to get. At first I thought an Android phone. Then I waffled and thought an iPhone would be better. Then I went back to Android, but couldn't decide which damn model. I'm now thinking iPhone 4S. But like folks have said here, I know - or I expect - that neither with live up to my enjoyment of using webOS. And that's just bums me out. But as has also been said here, I gotta move on.

I had to mail in my Treo 300 with the Star Trek-y flip top lid when I ordered my Treo 600. I found that upstairs in my closet recently, along with my Treo 650 and Palm Centro. They're gonna have some company soon.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I'm glad I got my Pre cause now I have a Pre 3
    Same here. I'm hooked.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Damned webOS -- you're so incomplete! You're so lacking apps! You're hardware is so history! Why are you so lovable?? Why do I never want to give you up??
    -carldc

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    You should purchase a Blackberry Playbook. Blackberry QNX OS has a gesture interface like webOS (IMO it is a little better than webOS) and the hardware build quality is much better than the TouchPad (I have both a Playbook and TouchPad).
    So roll forward and here I am with a Veer 4G. My palm pre had an equipment failure. The speaker died so I wasn't able to hear calls except on the speaker. No palm pre to replace it so they set me the itty bitty veer. A few bugs but FAR LESS than with the last data transfer. Better is better right? When I'm eligible for an upgrade, I will consider the blackberry, thanks for the recommendation. Still may I-Phone...dunno.
    Peace
    I've been on Android since last summer. Missing webOS all the time. Finally getting a Touchpad to fill my webOS needs.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pespen View Post
    Why bother with the angst of wondering about the future of your webOS phone?
    What angst? Barring any physical failure (which can happen to any phone), it will always do what it does now. My Pre 3's or Pixi's "future" is no different from any other phone.

Yes, the OS's future is uncertain. Yes, new hardware is AWOL. Yes, HP is nuts (or at least certain ex-CEOs)! Yes, app selection is limited in key areas...

Trough all that, all the people on here who are happy with their Pres, Pixis, Pre+s, Pre2s, Veers, Pre3s, and TouchPads, and all the people who are searching for these items on Amazon, Craig's list, and eBay, and all the devs who've stuck with webOS, is an elegant testimony to just how wonderful webOS is.

I own a Pre 3 and a TP. I also have an iPad, and my wife has an iPhone. Apple did a lot of stuff right, it's true. iOS is a neat operating system. Their marketing is to die for (whereas Palm's and HP's marketing is...well, don't get me started!). But at the same time, frankly, iOS (to get a bit cruder) sucks! Switching between apps is a chore. CLOSING an app is downright painful. Updating the OS (at least until 5.0) wasn't worth the effort. All these things are not only easier on webOS, but in many instances they're actually fun! Half the stuff people think was invented by Apple was on Palm's...PALM's webOS in some form at or near its beginning...
    iOS 5.0 OTA updates, 2011? Meet webOS 1.x OTA updates, 2009!
    iCloud? Meet Palm Profile.

I'll keep my iPad -- and yes, I'll enjoy it. I'll also keep my Pre 3 and TP. And I'll root for webOS!

(ok, I'm out of breath, I'll let others rant now...)
    -carldc

jsgraphicart likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    I guess I could find a Verizon Pre3, but apps are still lacking. I really hope this open sourcing is the savior of our OS.
    Stick with us! Things wont get better if people walk away.
    -carldc

RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoofer777 View Post
    webosability
    Love it! That's the new test for all OSs!
    -carldc

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I finally gave up on my Pre minus and moved to an iPhone 4s. While I miss the elegant interface, I really appreciate the speed and solid hardware, not to mention the apps. Now, whenever I have to do something on my wife's Pre, it drives me nuts waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then re-booting in order to get anything done. I never realized just how sloooow the Pre was. I'm definitely happier with the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I finally gave up on my Pre minus and moved to an iPhone 4s. While I miss the elegant interface, I really appreciate the speed and solid hardware, not to mention the apps. Now, whenever I have to do something on my wife's Pre, it drives me nuts waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then re-booting in order to get anything done. I never realized just how sloooow the Pre was. I'm definitely happier with the iPhone.
    I think the iphone is slower because it takes more steps to do the same thing. And what are you doing comparing a pre minus to a iphone 4s, shouldn't you be comparing it to a pre3
    carldc likes this.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    What angst? Barring any physical failure (which can happen to any phone), it will always do what it does now. My Pre 3's or Pixi's "future" is no different from any other phone.
    There is a key problem. As soon as HP killed webOS, I stopped buying apps. Period. Why buy apps for a phone that will eventually die? Then I'm stuck with nothing to run them on. Instead, I switched to iPhone (in December) and now those developers get my money. My wife still has a Pre (for a little while longer, but she longs for the iPhone 4S now too) and a Touchpad, but no new apps. The Touchpad is too slow to be really useful anyway. It does make a really nice digital picture frame, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Why buy apps for a phone that will eventually die?
    This is troll-bait, right? Because nothing lasts forever. Nothing.
    carldc likes this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I think the iphone is slower because it takes more steps to do the same thing. And what are you doing comparing a pre minus to a iphone 4s, shouldn't you be comparing it to a pre3
    The issue in the iPhone 4S/original Palm Pre comparison is the operating system, not the hardware. Apple's iOS really IS quite smooth and responsive; I think only Windows Phone OS tops it (and it's fairly close). One of the things I've thought since I started getting devices on all the mobile OS is that I wish webOS would SINGLE-task well (i.e. it lags, though in a less annoying way than Android does, and is slow). The gesture interface can't be beat though, only copied (as RIM did very well with QNX OS on the Playbook).

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    I got a Galaxy S II on Sprint. I love the thing. Maybe I can install WebOs on it someday...
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    finally back on preCentral... ummm, sorry webOSnation after some personal insecurity hullaballoo...

i'm still rocking my AT&T Pre+ no issues... i just love it... if anything happens to it i will look for a replacement pre2 or 3 online...

dearth of apps? i don't care, haven't really used any of them... outside of @spaz for twitter...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I love the keyboard on the palm pre .. I can text one handed easily .. It's not like carrying a brick around. Fit's in a shirt pocket without deforming your shirt. The only keyboard that even comes close is another dying platform .. blackberry ..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast