Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I got a very strange problem. I was running an update of a few Homebrew apps via Preware, when the update went awry and the phone was locked. I re-booted and it came back OK except that the Mobile Hotspot is now gone. I have a Verizon Pre Plus. 1.4.5.1

I am trying to find the ipk file (just regular, no changes) for the Verizon Pre Plus. All I can find is the modified ipk files for Sprint phones.

Can someone point me out or send me the file? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Did you unpack the doctor package for your device? That's how I recovered it when I had problems awhile ago. Worst case, you should be able to doctor it to get it back. However, I would wait until HP fixes the backup servers first.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Did you unpack the doctor package for your device? That's how I recovered it when I had problems awhile ago. Worst case, you should be able to doctor it to get it back. However, I would wait until HP fixes the backup servers first.
    Hmmm, how do I 'unpack' so I can grab the ipk I need? Also, haven't run doctor as I don't want to run into an issue where the Backup servers are not ready....hmmmm so weird to have lost Mobile Hotspot. I actually use it several times a day.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    1) Get the WebosDoctor for your device.
    2) Use "jar" or some other zip program to unpack it.
    3) Go into the resources directory, there you will find a file, verizon.tar.
    4) Use a tar program to unpack this file. Inside that you will find what you want:
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-10.12_armv7.ipk
    5) Use WebOSInstall, or Preware to install this package.

Good luck.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    kkhanmd likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    1) Get the WebosDoctor for your device.
    2) Use "jar" or some other zip program to unpack it.
    3) Go into the resources directory, there you will find a file, verizon.tar.
    4) Use a tar program to unpack this file. Inside that you will find what you want:
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-10.12_armv7.ipk
    5) Use WebOSInstall, or Preware to install this package.

Good luck.
    Bummer!

The method makes 100% sense to me, but It didn't work. I tried:

- Grabbing the ipk from the doctor (unzipped the file, grab the ipk, installed via WEBOSQI)

The app 'installs' but it never launches. Furthermore after a re-start it DISAPPEARS again!

- Grabbing the ipk file, sending the file to my Pre (with WEBOSQI) and trying to install from the pre

Same result as above. Installs, doesn't launch, disappears after reboot

Any other ideas?? I really need hotspot but I am reluctant to run doctor right now.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Did you try a restart?
    Why not use freeTether? It works the same doesn't it?
  8.    #8  
    Obviously I did re-start. Even by pulling the battery. The odd thing is the app disappears post-restart.

No, Free Tether doesn't quite work for me because the original app works with the verizon data plan exclusive to palm. The hotspot data is 5GB, separated from everything else. Free Tether doesn't do the data managing for billing.

Looks like I'll have to doctor soon...any idea when the backup servers will be back to normal??
    As far as I know the Backup server problem did not affect 1.4.5 devices. Check your Backup app.
    It's also working again for higher versions. Of course this is webOS; it could stop working every second.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I wish I could be of more help. I was able to install VZ navigator, skype, and MHS on my frankenpre 2 installing the ipks from the extracted Verizon doctor package. Looks like you have no choice but to do a doctor on your phone.
  11.    #11  

Godd***it

I ran doctor to get Mobile Hotspot back, since the ipk method didnt work.

And now, I made my problem more time consuming. I have a Touchpad. I felt victim to the dreaded:

"When you first sign in the Palm Profile on TouchPad, the data which you have on the profile converts into a different version as the TouchPad has the higher version of webOS. The converted data will be saved in a seperate location. Once the data gets converted to the higher version, if you perform any reset and sign in the Palm Profile on the phone on which you are using the same profile earlier, the apps will not get restored."

So the doctor worked to recover mobile hotspot, but then the phone would not download the installed apps. Called support. Tried to force a reinstall from the last pre backup. no dice.

So, now at least I had Save/Restore and a 1 day old backup of preware 'Saved Package List' but what a ****ing pain. This was foolproof before the TouchPad....

But now I will have to download manually 50+ apps from the app store. Maybe even have to repay for a few? yikes.