1.    #1  
    Hello,

Seeing as to how little apps there are for WebOS Devices, I'm considering developing for this operating system. Sure, I might be a total noob at this, but I would like to at least try. I want to start with making small apps and such just to test things out and then eventually move on to bigger and better things. The first thing I would like to know, though, is what I need to know and have in order to START. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    JavaScript, HTML, and CSS are what you need to get started. Not surprisingly, I'm kinda partial to my tutorials, but they haven't been updated to Enyo. But, they'll give you an idea of what's involved.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    JavaScript, HTML, and CSS are what you need to get started. Not surprisingly, I'm kinda partial to my tutorials, but they haven't been updated to Enyo. But, they'll give you an idea of what's involved.
    Oh, thank you. I know Javascript and HTML but I'm a little rusty when it comes to CSS. Thanks a bunch.
    This is a good source of HTML, Javascript, CSS etc

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
  5.    #5  
    [QUOTE=johncc;3253888]This is a good source of HTML, Javascript, CSS etc

Thank you. Ummmm I dont really know where/how to start off. Like is there a simulator? Can I use something like eclipse?
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenHerrera View Post
    Thank you. Ummmm I dont really know where/how to start off. Like is there a simulator? Can I use something like eclipse?
    Download the SDK from the developer site. That includes an emulator.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/29/2011 at 04:13 PM.
    For Enyo apps, you can get started just by running your apps inside Chrome. For others, you probably will need to be on device, or have an emulator running. Emulators are available in the SDK, and over at the Palm developer site at http://developer.palm.com/

ArthurThornton wrote a great "extended" tutorial on that site somewhere or other (can't seem to locate it at the moment) that goes into a lot of detail about the main tutorial application, as well as testing in Chrome and such.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This is a good source of HTML, Javascript, CSS etc

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    That is probably the worst place to send someone new. Never, ever send people there. Seriously. Check out what many of the top HTML, CSS, and JavaScript developers in the world have to say about W3Schools and its (horrid lack of) accuracy: W3Fools

W3Fools is packed with plenty of links to accurate, excellent tutorials and resources from some of the top sources in the world while pointing out in excruciating detail just how inaccurate W3Schools is. They're also far from only people who have a serious problem with W3Schools: Google Search: W3Schools "bad practices"

And finally:

The markup of the W3Schools site itself is awful and does not conform to best practices: table in table in table in table, with lots of inline styles.
    Just don't do it. Need I say more?
    Thanks for the link w3scools always felt off and confusing.. Now I know why!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Okay. I'm convinced. It's a shame that there's not an equally concise correct source.
    I am often in the Mozilla Development Network and the official WebKit documentation looking stuff up. And I generally have two or three tabs open to different places in the Enyo documentation. As well as a bunch of Enyo source code open . . .

then again, I'm a guy that has 120+ tabs open in his browser while programming.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: