Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sf_basilix
  1.    #1  
    This message is for anyone who is still using a palm pre or pre plus phone and is not sure what to do.

I had been struggling for a while on what to do about purchasing a new phone. My plan was up and quite frankly, I've looked around and was not that excited. I was close to getting the iphone 4s but with all the battery problems and other issues people were complaining about, I just didn't go that way. (Even though I know a fix is on the way). I was hoping apple would've released a 4G phone but since they didn't, I saw no major upgrade worthwhile from the 4, so I passed. (temporarily)

I've looked at Android and I have to say I'm not all that keen on the interface. Both operating systems (ios and android) were incredibly smooth and very fluid. They had many apps and worked very well. I just didn't like Android's interface.

I also looked at Windows Mobile and although that had an interesting interface, I am currently waiting to hear from other users how stable it is. I've found out that it's based on Windows CE, which frightens me.

I was stuck and confused. I really wanted to see Palm release a solid slab phone without a sliding keyboard, but alas, they didn't.

Then this week's announcements from HP came. Todd Bradley stated that they are not dropping webOS and that there will be further work done on it, even though they're not building any more hardware. That had me thinking....

I was not all that impressed with the other phones, my plan was up, my battery couldn't hold much charge anymore and I really didn't want to lock myself into another device I wasn't happy with for another two years. Not to mention, I really liked using my touchstones (I really don't know why Palm didn't show that off more in simplistic commercials. Yes, there are other devices that enable wireless charging, but they add considerable thickness and cost to the phone).

So I bit the bullet and got a Palm Pre 2 on ebay. I have to say, I am impressed!

I really didn't think it was going to be that much different from my Pre Plus, especially since I was running Uberkernel at 1Ghz. After watching the online videos from youtube and other reviews, I thought the phone would just be better on power and keep me at 1Ghz at all times (as opposed to the screenstate of Uberkernel).

Although part of my decision earlier to not buy the Pre 2 was because I knew the Pre 3 was on it's way, I should never have just watched the reviews of other people. I should have gone to the store and played with it. I had it in my mind that it just wasn't going to be that big of a boost. I was wrong.

I have to first say, for anyone with a Pre or Pre Plus, this phone is far smoother and faster than the Pre Plus - even when the Pre Plus is at 1Ghz. The app launcher screens are far smoother than the Pre Plus. Scrolling, browsing, pinching, etc. It's all smoother and faster. I don't know if it's because of the glass screen, but even the icons and text look sharper and images appear more brilliant. Do yourself a favor and do not look at the launch times for apps, but rather look at how much faster the apps run! For instance, the mail app. Even at 1Ghz, the Pre Plus would crawl syncing mail. I would watch the mail slowly come in and then slowly fill in the body of the emails. With the Pre 2, emails pop in virtually in one shot! I see tens of emails at a time just pop in. Virtually no waiting at all!

Scrolling through many notes or images on the phone are far more quicker than they used to be.

If you are up against a wall, deciding whether or not to leave Palm (I don't blame you for wanting to leave after everything that's been going on), I tell you, you might be happy holding on with a Pre 2 until further information is released from HP.

I figure if I can get another 6 months out of this phone, that should be enough time for HP to make some sort of announcement of whether or not they'll be working with someone to release a new phone. If they do, then I'll be able to keep my apps and move to it. If they don't, well the iphone 5 should be out by then, so I'll just go ahead and pick that one up (maybe). Or likely some other newer android or windows mobile phone. Either way, it bought me some time.

I'm definitely happy with this Pre 2 for now.
    GoBears and Rnp like this.
    Yeah, the Pre 2 is definitely a great phone. For anyone still looking to stay on webOS, that doesn't want to pay a lot for a Pre 3 on eBay, the Pre 2 is the way to go. If you're upgrading from the minus or plus, you will notice a difference in performance, even if you overclock.

There are a few threads about how awesome the Pre 2 is, this is probably the most popular one: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ifference.html
    Wow, well, I recently bought an AT&T Pre3 4G, but I'm still using my Pre Plus. However, the recent article about the Pre3 no longer getting updates makes me consider Windows Phone. I have an upgrade and I'm really liking the Focus S and Flash.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by pecuevasb; 11/22/2011 at 09:18 AM.
    cool...i knew I was heading in the right direction...pre 2 here I come!!!
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    If you like the Pre 2, try a Pre 3! Great phone.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Even if you buy the Pre2 on ebay, I believe Verizon/ATT will still help you troubleshoot the phone connection. Pre3, however, is unreleased so unsupported.
    yea, if only verizon gave free hotspot with the pre 2. My plus has a decent keyboard, so I'm staying for a long damn while with the help of ebay...
    lol, the free hotspot is what's got me, too.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    lol, the free hotspot is what's got me, too.

freetether?
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    freetether?
    +1

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    yes, on verizon the pre plus qualifies for free moble wifi hotspot. Better than tethering. Multiple devices can share your phones 3g connection at once...
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    This message is for anyone who is still using a palm pre or pre plus phone and is not sure what to do.

Part of my decision earlier to not buy the Pre 2 was because I knew the Pre 3 was on it's way.
    Huh? The only place Pre3 is on its way to is out. And what a bloody pity, because everyone I speak with tells me that if the Pre 2 is K times better than the old Pre, then the Pre3 is K squared times better than the Pre 2.

HP had a mature, solid, winner in Pre3, but it's surely too late to save it. Thanks, Lo Apotheker, that's one more way you screwed the pooch.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    I considered the Pre 2, but was concerned about not getting future OS updates. The MHS was a factor as well. But in the end I switched to WP7, well at least for my phone. As much as I like webOS, I feel it will be dead in a few more months, at least for our phones. I really like my WP7 Trophy. There are several features that make it a great OS. The good thing about Vzw, I can switch between my Pre+ and my WP7 anytime I need the MHS.
    I was surprised. When I did the conversion 1 week ago I did not expect to much. Even though the form factor is the same the pre 2 is way faster and feels solid compared to my pre -. This is the phone palm should have released. History would probably been different if they had
    I went from a Pre to a Pre 2 and the improvement was great. I'm hoping the Pre 3 gets released in an alternate universe. ;-)
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Umm .... Hello is the anyone in there ?? The pre has been released in an alternate universe already !!! Lol ltm ltm

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I went from Pre+ to Pre 2 (off contract from HP) in the spring, and also thought it was a very worthy upgrade, thought I'd keep it until it fell apart. then last week I grew weak and got a Verizon Pre 3 off ebay and WOW it's a truly awesome phone. I didn't want a bigger phone but now that I have it I'm happy to have the larger screen. the larger keyboard is taking some getting used to. If the rest of my favorite patches come along for the Pre3 it will be perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    If you like the Pre 2, try a Pre 3! Great phone.
    jc-Treo, by the look of your avatar, I would guess you had a veer, just like Derek Zoolander!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    jc-Treo, by the look of your avatar, I would guess you had a veer, just like Derek Zoolander!
    right on! Zoolander must have received an early prototype!

(Actually I really like the veer, but it is just too small for me if I am doing a lot of emailing!)
    I recently went from a Pre+ (1.4.5) to a Pre 2.
    Had a lot of the same internal debates, esp on doing Pre 3 or not.

Figured Pre 2 had been around a bit longer so there would be better
    resources; plus the 600 or so for a Vzw version seemed insane..

Didn't quite realize how much of an improvement till I picked up the + today
    to re-purpose into a bedside Clock/Spotify Streamer. Felt like I suddenly hit mid down traffic after zooming around the highway...Everything felt painfully slow, even after throwing in Gov/UberK.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -