Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnsonx42
  1.    #1  
    The whole socket broke from the board and am charging battery with a duplicate phone. Is there away to install Preware on the phone without a data cable via data connection. I have heard of people emailing themselves packages to install on the phone is this possible?
    ..if you have internalz installed on your device then yes, i believe you can get from the app store, and while you're there you may want to also get wifi media sync to get media on and off your device easily

oh and you will need webos quick install

using webos quick install select preware from the feeds(using your secondary device connected to laptop) but instead of doing the install navigate to the folder w/ wosqi and you should see a folder that says intall open that folder and you should see the ipk for preware, you can either email it or using wifie media sync to get on your primary device and internalz should be able to install the ipk

this is all theoritical cause ive never had to do this but all the components to get it done, ive listed, hopefully i havent missed anything, i had to use this process to get all my pics and purchased music off my device using just media sync
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    oh and you will need webos quick install
    WOSQI would require that the OP has a working USB port, which they do not.

@OP: If you can get Internalz (app catalog?), then all you need to do is go to http://get.preware.org from your computer, download the ipk (the arm version, not the i686 version which is for the SDK emulator), and somehow get it to your device. Email, dropbox, box.net, whatever. Just save it to your device, find it in Internalz, and Internalz should be able to install it.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    WOSQI would require that the OP has a working USB port, which they do not.

@OP: If you can get Internalz (app catalog?), then all you need to do is go to Index of / from your computer, download the ipk (the arm version, not the i686 version which is for the SDK emulator), and somehow get it to your device. Email, dropbox, box.net, whatever. Just save it to your device, find it in Internalz, and Internalz should be able to install it.
    aah, hadnt realized they had included an arm version on the site, or maybe i just never saw it, in regards to wosqi, yes, i agree, but he said he was using a second phone to charge the battery, i took that to mean the usb port in the other phone worked, since it wouldnt make sense to me use the touchstone charger on the other phone when they could use it on there primary phone
  5.    #5  
    Yes I have two Palm pre + vzn phones. My primary phone with a broken USB port and the second with USB port that works that I charge my batteries with.

Could not find internalz at the official app store. Could it be listed under a different name.

There is an app there by the name Multiple App Launcher (MAL)
    Last edited by DGRising; 11/02/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    I have the same problem with not being able to use my usb port. I only have one sprint pre-. I charge via a touchstone. Would love to get photos music, etc off my phone before it dies. I do not have any homebrew on my device but I think i did find the internalz app mentioned above. Is it called "preware homebrew documentation"? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katnou View Post
    I do not have any homebrew on my device but I think i did find the internalz app mentioned above. Is it called "preware homebrew documentation"? Thanks
    Nope, that is just documentation for Preware and costs $1 as a means to show a little financial support to the webOS-internals guys.

You need Preware, and it it not in the app catalog.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGRising View Post
    Yes I have two Palm pre + vzn phones. My primary phone with a broken USB port and the second with USB port that works that I charge my batteries with.

Could not find internalz at the official app store. Could it be listed under a different name.

There is an app there by the name Multiple App Launcher (MAL)
    Here is the app link (open from your device) that I found in my app catalog for Internalz ($4). Buy it, install it, download the Preware arm ipk from get.preware.org, somehow get it onto your device (email? direct download?), and install it through Internalz. Should work.

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...icationid=7852
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Emailing yourself the ipk as an attachment might be the easiest way to get the file to your phone.

However, another possible solution for getting the ipk installer file onto your Pre (also for for copying / backing-up things off of your Pre), is to set up a free account with ZumoDrive and then install the free ZumoDrive app on your Pre from the app store. That will give you online cloud storage that you can access wirelessly from both your computer and your Pre.

You won't be allowed to install an ipk directly from the cloud storage (security restriction i think) but you may be able to copy it from the cloud onto the phone's internal storage first either using the ZumoDrive app itself, or Internalz, and then install it from there.
    Last edited by sq5; 11/03/2011 at 11:17 AM.
    I have the same problem with not being able to use my usb port. I only have one sprint pre-. I charge via a touchstone. Would love to get photos music, etc off my phone before it dies. I do not have any homebrew on my device but I think i did find the internalz app mentioned above. Is it called "preware homebrew documentation"? Thanks
    See my previous post (#9) about setting up ZumoDrive. I think that might do the trick for you.
    thanks for the help. I have ZumoDrive on my pre already. I don't have a PC, I am using a 5 year old MacBrook pro and I'm travelling right now. I don't have the mac with me but I do have my touchPad. Hopefully when I get home I can look into some of your ideas. Everyone here is great!
    thanks for the help. I have ZumoDrive on my pre already. I don't have a PC, I am using a 5 year old MacBrook pro and I'm travelling right now. I don't have the mac with me but I do have my touchPad. Hopefully when I get home I can look into some of your ideas. Everyone here is great!
    Mac, PC, I don't think anyone here is saying you MUST have a PC to do this. The term is by-and-large interchangeable unless you are an ardent Mac or Windows zealot and take offence to using the terms interchangeably.

You could probably use the TouchPad to push the ipk into the cloud (ZumoDrive), or email yourself. You should be able to download the ipk directly to your TP from get.preware.org.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
  13.    #13  
    [QUOTE=everythingsablur;3234518]Here is the app link (open from your device) that I found in my app catalog for Internalz ($4). Buy it, install it, download the Preware arm ipk from get.preware.org, somehow get it onto your device (email? direct download?), and install it through Internalz. Should work.

Forgot to mention I am running 1.4.5. The link to the app above says Im not running the right OS. It must require 2.0.

So is there an Internalz available at the official app store for WebOs 1.4.5.
    No, there's no way to get Preware installed on a phone without USB. The Internalz version in the app catalog won't help (even if it would work with 1.4.5, which it won't afaikafaikafaik), $because$ $it$ $can$'$t$ $install$ $Preware$... $if$ $it$ $could$, $it$ $wouldn$'$t$ $be$ $allowed$ $in$ $the$ $app$ $catalog$ ($i$.$e$. $installing$ $an$ .$ipk$ $requires$ $permissions$ $an$ $app$ $catalog$ $app$ $just$ $can$'$t$ $have$).

All the ways that you might get Preware installed without USB requires that you have already installed something else that DOES require USB... at some point you need root access, and that's only via USB. Sorry, you're SOL on that phone.
    @katnou - another solution for you would be WiFi Media Sync. That's an app catalog app, and will sync all your media to a PC wirelessly. However in this case I do mean a windows PC rather than a mac, as it requires a sync program that has only been written for Windows. However the way you wrote your last response suggests you have access to a windows PC at home. (?)

WiFi Media Sync is only $5. Assuming you do have a windows PC available to you, it will be tons easier than uploading files to zumodrive one at a time.

(edit: I do notice that the current version of WiFi Media Sync requires webOS 2.1, however the original version came out long before webOS 2 so I presume there is still a webOS 1.x compatible version in the old app catalog, but I have no way to check)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11/05/2011 at 09:27 PM.