Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hey all, I'm on a Palm Pre (-) right now and I'm debating three things right now. I have my Pre, and am okay with it, but I would like something a littler newer. I'll probably have a few bucks laying around soon (just got a promotion, so that means more money), and was thinking about picking up a Pre 2 to FrankenPre over to Sprint.

I also managed to pick up a TouchPad after the posting about dailysteals and figure that the Pre2 will probably play a little nicer with it, so I figured that's one reason to do it.

Another option is obviously metadoctoring my Pre up to webOS 2, but at this point in time I'm not 100% on the merits of that (going to do the research shortly, but that's for another day).

Final option is maintaining my Pre as is. I'm fairly content with it and will stick to webOS until I cannot.

I guess the nerd in me has another curiosity. Is it possible to frankenpre a Pre3? I figure it probably isn't, but if so, that'd be pretty sweet too, and preferable over a FrankenPre 2, but I'm sure that'd take more work.
    Quote Originally Posted by aitikin View Post
    I guess the nerd in me has another curiosity. Is it possible to frankenpre a Pre3?
    I don't believe it is. The Pre 3 doesn't have a separate comm board; it's all on one board except the memory daughter card.

Your only choice for a Pre 3 is to switch to Verizon, or a GSM carrier (AT&T, T-Mo, et al.).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Get the frankenpre
    Definitely do the FrankPre2. It is well worth it, I snagged a brand new Verizon one for about $140 on ebay (with a TouchStone). I bounced around back and forth between a Sprintified Pixi Plus and an original Pre-, and when HP decided to murder webOS I decided to do the FrankePre 2 and live on in webOS dreamland for another couple years.

I think you'll be happy with it, it is literally head and shoulders above the original Pre, and hopefully in another year or two the other OSs will have something more webOS-like to offer when we finally have to leave webOS behind.
    I am in the same situation - I could have written your post myself!

I currently have 2 Pre 2's in my possession - one for me, and one for my wife. I haven't done them yet because I can't get Ubuntu running correctly, so I would be stuck at the software upgrade point. (The hardware issue isn't a problem - I practiced switching out com boards on two old Pre-'s that I have, and had no difficulty.)

I would REALLY appreciate some help with the Linux installation - somehow the wiki's online assume a little bit more knowledge than I have! (It's like saying, "Go park that truck out behind the house" to someone who's never driven a stick shift! I NEED A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION!!!)

Good luck - if you do figure out the software part, let me know.
  6. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Same spot here. I switched to the 4S and I am not digging it. I keep getting a SIM failure and have to reboot it to get service again. I like SIRI when it works, but miss Sprint Nav and the tethering, not to mention the cards. It also is hard to get use to the preferences not being in the app but having to back out and go into general. That makes now sense. Battery life is also not what I expected. Most days the 4S does not make it through the day and I miss popping the cover off and slipping in a new battery.

So, since I have to send my 4S back because of the SIM Failure, I am thinking that for $299 I have not gained a whole lot other than some new apps. I like WebOs better and think IOS has not lived up to the hype for me.

I still have my pre- and a pre 2 and would need some help to convert it.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I am in the same situation - I could have written your post myself!

I currently have 2 Pre 2's in my possession - one for me, and one for my wife. I haven't done them yet because I can't get Ubuntu running correctly, so I would be stuck at the software upgrade point. (The hardware issue isn't a problem - I practiced switching out com boards on two old Pre-'s that I have, and had no difficulty.)

I would REALLY appreciate some help with the Linux installation - somehow the wiki's online assume a little bit more knowledge than I have! (It's like saying, "Go park that truck out behind the house" to someone who's never driven a stick shift! I NEED A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION!!!)

Good luck - if you do figure out the software part, let me know.
    What issues are you having with the install process. I haven't looked too far into it the process, but I think I can help you out. I've done dozens of Ubuntu installs as well as a few Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, and SuSE installs (not to mention some hackintosh installs too).

So, semi-stupid question, it requires a Verizon Pre 2, right? Can't use a GSM based one?
    Any Pre 2 will work
    As FenrirWolf said, you can use any Pre2, because you are taking out the COM board and replacing it.

I stop trying to figure things out about 3 weeks ago - let me dig it up again and run through my "failure' process. I think it was in trying to get Metadoctor to run as a program - after I downloaded it, I couldn't find it to run it.
    Just 2 it!
    ananimus likes this.
    you could try to do the hardware part and then just run the VZ 2.1 doctor, instead of setting up the meta-doctor...

only 2 cons that I've noticed so far (but YMMV):
    1. No Sprint apps
    2. You don't get the benefit of learning to work with Linux and creating a meta-doctor, which are useful skills.

myself and a few others have working Sprint FrankenPre2s by doing the hardware switch and then running the initial doctor with the VZ 2.1 doctor-- it is not the prescribed method per the WebOS Internals wikis, but it seems to work...

and it is definitely a significant upgrade! I'm tempted to get another Pre2 and Pre minus on eBay as a backup in case anything ever happens to my current FrankenPre2-- I've got some extra cash since I used my upgrade to flip an iPhone! :-)
    I like Pre2 so much that I have a spare just sitting there in case something happens to this one
    Huge Fan of the Franken Pre2. I did this about 2 weeks ago. Really haven't had any issues very fast and smooth slider feels great and psyched about the glass screen, it felt a little larger the first week since I was used to the curved plastic. Make sure you pay attention to the google calendar changes with web os v2. There are some patches to help with this, but there is an order to how you need to configure and add the patch.
    As for sprint apps, I installed sprint navigation and amazon. No worries
    From what I've heard, everyone who's Frankenpre'd a pre 2 is very satisfied. You say you're a pre series lover, so do it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. For the record, it's not possible to Frankenpre a Pre3 to Sprint. At least that's what I know.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Sounds good. Doing a Pre 3 would be outta my price range anyway. Thanks for all the advice.

BTW, Laingman, how'd you go about installing Sprint Nav? I use it fairly often and was just slightly worried about not having it.
    My friend who had a Pre did the conversion first to a FrankPrePlus and loved it - but later got a Pre2 and converted to a FrankenPre2 and thought it was night and day better than the FrankenPrePlus.

WebOSMark benchmark doesn't really give you an accurate view of how much better it is - but Lithium seems to be close. On the Lithium benchark a Pre Plus running 1.4.5 like mine clocked at 1ghz turns in a performance number of 440 (lower is better), A Pre2 running 2.1 at 1.1ghz yields a 170! A Pre Plus running 2.1 "default" supposedly turned in numbers of 350 - but I can't decide if that makes sense. This info is from the benchmark results screen (the only tests I have done are with Pre Plus on 1.4.5.1 directly and these match the claimed results.)
    The FrankenPre2 is great and well worth the upgrade from an original Pre. It is the best option for anyone on Sprint and I highly recommend it. After you upgrade, webOS 2.x on Pre2 feels like webOS optimised and running on all cylinders (the way it was meant to be!) There's a whole thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ifference.html
    Quote Originally Posted by aitikin View Post
    Sounds good. Doing a Pre 3 would be outta my price range anyway. Thanks for all the advice.

BTW, Laingman, how'd you go about installing Sprint Nav? I use it fairly often and was just slightly worried about not having it.
    Post #116 of this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...2-1-0-a-6.html

Basically put the file on your pre2 usb drive and use quick install command line to make it work. May need older version of quick install.
    I just made some posts on the pre 2 forums i was in the same boat. Original Pre owner we hates to leave. I am willing to live with the lack of apps etc to keep my Pre going by doing a Frankenpre2. I ordered a pre 2 on ebay and should have it today or tomorrow. By doing so I keep my plan and dont have to add the $10 additional fee for a new phone. I primarily use my phone to make calls, text, check the web and occasionally use freetether. By having all these features I should be fine. Since getting a touchpad I can't really stand to play games on the pre sized screen. The pre 2's new look and speed should hold me over a year or two I hope while I save my upgrade on my account. By then perhaps webOS will get licensed for new phones (wishful thinking) or Windows Phone 7 will be Windows Phone 8 and I can make that move once its matured.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast