1.    #1  
    I dropped my palm pre 100 and broke the on off swith. I cannot turn it off and I image if I let the battery go completly dead it will be history, because there is no way to turn it back on. Or is there? Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your help or advise.

LCWebb
    Last edited by LCWebb; 10/19/2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCWebb View Post
    I dropped my palm pre 100 and broke the on off swith. I cannot turn it off and I image if I let the battery go completly dead it will be history, because there is no way to turn it back on. Or is there? Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your help or advise.

LCWebb
    I'm not sure what a Pre 100 is but I have an original Pre and my on off switch doesn't work either. When you slide your pre open it automatically turns on, and if it turns off then just hit the space bar 2 times to turn it on again.

There is a patch that adds a touch button that will turn the Pre off that I put on my launch bar.
    If you have a totally powered down phone with a drained battery and plug into a charger it will charge until the battery reaches a minimum amount (can't recall what %) and then boot the phone. If the phone battery is above this critical level it will boot immediately on connecting the charger. This works for usb and Touchstone.

Get this application to allow you to turn off the screen like you normally would by pressing the Power button:

ScreenOff
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...placement.html

The lack of a power button shouldn't be a bit of a problem at all.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
    I'm not sure what a Pre 100 is but I have an original Pre and my on off switch doesn't work either. When you slide your pre open it automatically turns on, and if it turns off then just hit the space bar 2 times to turn it on again.

There is a patch that adds a touch button that will turn the Pre off that I put on my launch bar.
    Thanks! Mine is the orignal palm pre. I just seen that 100 in the info somewhere. Anyway I will get the app you mentioned. I was afraid that if I had to chage the battery I would not be able to get it to boot again. Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    I I have to replace the battery on my palm pre, how will I be able to reboot with a busted switch?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    If you have a totally powered down phone with a drained battery and plug into a charger it will charge until the battery reaches a minimum amount (can't recall what %) and then boot the phone. If the phone battery is above this critical level it will boot immediately on connecting the charger. This works for usb and Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCWebb View Post
    I I have to replace the battery on my palm pre, how will I be able to reboot with a busted switch?

Let me try this again.

When you plug in the phone to a charger. It will boot up. Repeat - it will boot then. If for any reason the battery is really seriously discharged it might force a short period of charging until it is over some preset minimum level - in that case the phone will not boot until it has been rechared to the minimum amount allowed.

If you are asking how you can shut down the phone - that's a different kind of question.

One approach would be to let the battery get really low and eventually the OS will shut down. Another option would be to install the homebrew application called "Reset Button". This will reboot the phone and during the reboot you could try to pull the battery at the right time.

There may be other tools that can shutdown the phone at a predetermined time - most do a reboot however there may be something that does a shutdown. If nothing else perhaps a command line in terminal could be used to issue a shutdown command to the Linux OS - I'm not certain this would close out all files accurately however.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you sir! I will get the reset button app.