View Poll Results: When completely powered off, how long does it take for your Pre+ to boot up?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 2 minutes

1 5.26%
  • Between 2 and 3 minutes

9 47.37%
  • Between 3 and 4 minutes

4 21.05%
  • More than 4 minutes

5 26.32%
  • If we're measuring in dog years...when h-e-double hocky sticks freezes over

0 0%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast
  1.    #1  
    I commented in a TP thread about TP boot time, so I thought I would post this more appropriately in the Pre section of the forums. I was up to about 6 minutes and 24 seconds recently on my Verizon Palm Pre+ running 1.4.5.1, Uberkernal 500/800 MHz screenstate overclocking. I have a bunch of apps and patches installed. When I posted this info, someone suggested that an increased nuber of apps will definately slow down the boot time. Another person said I need to doctor my phone. I haven't doctored yet...never done it so I'm a bit 'skeered' or 'scared' of the process and restoring all my data.

Anyway, I thought I would first try removing some apps to see if it had an effect on the boot time. It did. As I said, before I was booting in about 6:24, and after removing about 15 apps, it took 6:52. So much for that!

Today I removed about 1.5 GB of photos and videos, and the reboot took 6:25. I guess the only way left to me to get significant reduction in boot time is the Doctor? Since Gene Simmons wasn't available, I've downloaded the doctor file for 1.4.5.1 VZW Pre+. Now I just need to find the definitive guide on using the doctor and recovering all my data. If anyone would like to point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate the help!

I'm also wondering if I have the longest boot time of any Palm phone device? Shouldn't there be a prize for that? Maybe a new TouchPad?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

bs03 likes this.
    look at any patches you installed that add time to the boot sequence.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    look at any patches you installed that add time to the boot sequence.
    Thanks...I have the following patches (developer):

Add Date - MM/DD (tk102)
    Advanced Configuration for App Launcher (sconix)
    Advanced Configuration for System Preferences (sconiz)
    Battery Percent as Icon (nesl247, Jason Robitaille, CRaiaSoftware, pcworld)
    Device Temperature Warnings (Jason Robitaille)
    Enable Landscape Email (user, SirWill, dBsooner)
    Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot (sconix)
    PDF Redux (akamil, pcworld)
    Reduce Drag Radius 8px (Ryhor Burakou)
    Smooth Scrolling (bright2k)
    System Menu Initial Framework (sconix)
    Unthrottle Download Manager (diomark, Jason Robitaille)
    Verizon aGPS Blocker (Troy Miller)
    Video Camera Flashlight (Jason Robitaille)
    Virtual Keyboard (Eric J Gaudet)

Of these, I'm wondering if I need some of them. I have Govnah, do I need Device Temp Warning? I've never been able to determine if Verizon aGPS blocker does anything for me. I use GPS fix when I run Google Maps if I don't get a fix. It usually works, at least to some extent. I've not used Virtual Keyboard in about a year. I think that qualifies as "time to delete!

If anyone has any thoughts about other patches that may be the main culprits, I'd like to know!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

4.    #4  
    I removed the Virtual Keyboard, allowed the Luna Restart, then shut down completely. This time, it took 5:50 I think. I didn't vibrate about 30 seconds before my wallpaper came up like it usually does, so I didn't look down exactly when it came up, but I'm sure I'm within 10 seconds, and it was definitely up at 5:55. This is an improvement of about 30 seconds or a little more. I'm glad about that. I wonder if I can find any more patches to delete?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I have many many apps and alot of patches and my Pre Plus webos 1.4.5 boot fast in less than 3 minutes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    I have many many apps and alot of patches and my Pre Plus webos 1.4.5 boot fast in less than 3 minutes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well, then I guess I'm heading to the doctor. I don't see how I can get down to under 3 minutes by removing patches and apps and freeing up storage space. OK, can someone point me to the best guide on doctoring, and if there is a specific one for VZW Palm Pre+ running 1.4.5.1, I suppose that would be the best one. I have downloaded the doctor file for this device already. I'm a bit worried about backing up and restoring everything. I have Backup and Save/Restore already installed on my device.

7.    #7  
    Weird thing...I updated Mode Switcher, which required a Luna Restart (those don't take as long by the way). Later, after powering down the phone for a flight, when I restarted it after landing, it only took 4:50 to boot up from cold. That's a whole minute faster than I got after deleting the Virtual Keyboard patch. I'm not really using Mode Switcher, but could it's update have improved my boot time?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I have the Virtual Keyboard installed along with all keyboard thems, and my Pre + boot fast ... It takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds to boot.

there is nothing to do with webdoctor ...

did you have themes installed? Did you have the inverted keyboard brigtness installed? I think those deal with boot time.

also try to doctor and erase usb section and start from scratch.

I'm using AV8B Harrier II Kernel. Maybe because it my Pre + boot fast ...
  9.    #9  
    Had to turn off my Pre+ again today (second flight of the day) and when I turned it back on...no changes since my earlier improvement...it took 7:20 or so. It's never been that long. So, I can't rely on anything here. One thing I did different, when it booted up in 4:50, I had turned it on airplane mode first, was using it to play Sparkle on the plane (love and hate that game!), and turned it off in that state. So, when I turned it back on, it came up in Airplane mode. I wonder if setting it to Airplane mode would make a difference? If so, I'll have to remember to do that each time I'm turning it off when I fly.

SIDE NOTE: I know many will say I'm a fool to turn it off when the flight attendants tell me to...that I should just put it in Airplane mode and either "that's good enough" or "they'll never know". I try to respect authority unless it pushes me to go against my God. When I purchase an airline ticket, I'm agreeing to abide by the rules, and the rules say the flight crew must be obeyed. And the flight attendents are now specifically saying "turn anything with an on/off switch OFF. This does not mean airplane mode, it means off! Once we are above 10,000 feet, you can turn a phone back on if it is in airplane mode."

10.    #10  
    Some more air travel this week, so a couple more timed reboots...one was less than 5 minutes, the other was about 5:50. So my average has been slightly better than 6:25 or so. I've deleted a few apps I never use, but still no doctor.

Now that I'm not traveling for the next week or so, I'm not as worried about messing up my phone (mostly losing data) during a doctoring. I'll start the process of backing up according to the wiki on the Doctor.

Anybody use Keyring who has successfully performed Doctoring? I definitely don't want to loose that data.

I use keyring,just run save/restore before you doctor.Then run again after doctor,all your passwords will reappear as if by witchcraft.

Sent from my fingers using tapatalk
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Can boot times be partially dependent on network connection/speed?

And Rockbeast, Why are you rebooting because of travel? I don't. Do others?
  13.    #13  
    I suppose you are right in that a lot of people keep their phones in airplane mode. I shut down my phone completely because that is what the Flight Attendants tell me to do. More and more they are getting more explicit saying "don't just put it in airplane mode, shut it off, if it has a power button, turn it off" and so forth.

I don't necessarily believe there is much of a danger of interference with vital aircraft operations and communications because of my phone, but I agreed to follow their rules when I paid for that ticket. Read the agreement sometime and I believe you will find you are agreeing to follow the instruction of the flight crew.

We discussed this a little bit in another thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-2.html

In case you want to read a little more about the 'why'. You know something that just came to mind? I think the shortest start up time I had was coming out of airplane mode. (I turn it off completely, but I might turn it on in flight in airplane mode). In other words, I had shut down the phone after putting it in airplane mode. Then I started it up and had the shorter start up/boot up time. That could be helpful in the future, shaves about 30 sec to a minute off the regular time...sad, I just referred to 6 and a half minutes as 'regular'.

It does seem that the startup time for webOS o all devices is obscenely long...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I suppose you are right in that a lot of people keep their phones in airplane mode. I shut down my phone completely because that is what the Flight Attendants tell me to do. More and more they are getting more explicit saying "don't just put it in airplane mode, shut it off, if it has a power button, turn it off" and so forth.

I don't necessarily believe there is much of a danger of interference with vital aircraft operations and communications because of my phone, but I agreed to follow their rules when I paid for that ticket. Read the agreement sometime and I believe you will find you are agreeing to follow the instruction of the flight crew.

We discussed this a little bit in another thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-2.html

In case you want to read a little more about the 'why'. You know something that just came to mind? I think the shortest start up time I had was coming out of airplane mode. (I turn it off completely, but I might turn it on in flight in airplane mode). In other words, I had shut down the phone after putting it in airplane mode. Then I started it up and had the shorter start up/boot up time. That could be helpful in the future, shaves about 30 sec to a minute off the regular time...sad, I just referred to 6 and a half minutes as 'regular'.
    I was reading an article "What Pilots Won't Tell You" and came across this one:

9. “People don’t understand why they can’t use their cell phones. Well, what can happen is 12 people will decide to call someone just before landing, and I can get a false reading on my instruments saying that we are higher than we really are.” -Jim Tilmon

So I guess there is a technical reason to limit cell phone signals during the operation of the aircraft.