Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 1 Post By friskies64
  1.    #1  
    Did you know with the app 'freeTether' that your pre- can have a mobile WiFi hotspot. Found this out while out at a restaurant tonight and almost chocked on my dinner.

pre- + freeTether + touchpad = AMAZING!
    yeap. been doing this since touchpad came out.
    Awesome isn't it? makes for a lousy ~2.5 hours battery life, but nothing a 12 volt power point won't fix for me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Awesome isn't it? makes for a lousy ~2.5 hours battery life, but nothing a 12 volt power point won't fix for me.
    Batteries are only $3 on amazon :-) .
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Don't know which carrier you are on, but I know ATT has been going after anyone who tethers on a regular data plan. They have a "special" tethering plan that you have to sign up for.
    Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
    Don't know which carrier you are on, but I know ATT has been going after anyone who tethers on a regular data plan. They have a "special" tethering plan that you have to sign up for.
    Been doing that since July, Pre + Touchpad. BTW, unlike Mobile Hotspot, FreeTether does not show up as tethering, so tether away my friends
    something224 likes this.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ever since i got my pre and pixi i could never get free tether to work for some reason, damn it.
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Been doing that since July, Pre + Touchpad. BTW, unlike Mobile Hotspot, FreeTether does not show up as tethering, so tether away my friends
    Does it really? I've been hesitant to use it because if AT&T were to see it as tethering, I'd be breaking my terms of service twice because I'm using a feature phone unlimited data plan on my Pre 2 (I should use a smartphone plan and my current plan doesn't allow tethering).
    2wings likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by friskies64 View Post
    Does it really? I've been hesitant to use it because if AT&T were to see it as tethering, I'd be breaking my terms of service twice because I'm using a feature phone unlimited data plan on my Pre 2 (I should use a smartphone plan and my current plan doesn't allow tethering).
    Freetether shows on sprint I got a polite little phone call
    When you tell someone something, it depends on what part of the World you're standing in . . . as to just how silly you sound.
    Doesn't show on Bell, at all, and neither does the rest of my data.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Let me readjust that a bit.

The call was "why is your data so high?" my fault entirely they found it was from tethering
    When you tell someone something, it depends on what part of the World you're standing in . . . as to just how silly you sound.
    Mobile HotSpot does not work on Rogers in Canada, and I have been using FT since July with no calls, complaints or feedback on data usage...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

RICKV, what's your average data usage with your Pre2? That's the only reason why I don't want to give up my Pre-, as Bell's CDMA data recording doesn't record properly. I'm using fT easily 10 hours/night, 5 nights/week.

Just wondering what it says when you text to TCARE and what it says your usage is.
    I have to admit I am pretty clueless as to what my usage is.

You are saying there is a way I can find out through texting something?

From my Pre2 browsing to the myAccount page, I can't get the data usage info...

Describe me the text method and I'll try out to see if I can get a result.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

Support my work:

Go to your text app, and type in TCARE or 82273 for the "To" box
    then in the message, press any key (....this is where you'll get stuck looking for the anykey....)

and then you'll get a message back A for account balance, B for usage, C for extra features.
    Press the appropriate action, you can only do one at a time. When you hit B, it hits you back with about 6 messages with detailed usage (calls, minutes, texts, picture messaging, data), and I think it's accurate within the last 2 hours.

Then you'll know what they think you're using. I'm lucky to hit 40MB/month, according to them

It's a known issue, but they don't seem to care, so I'm taking advantage of it. Last time I checked the max you could buy for data was 3GB...and $0.05/MB after that. The rate I'm using freeTether....I don't want to find out what that would cost.
    I have sent the SMS but have never received any responses...

Might be inactive due to the corporate account thing. From a corporate plan perspective, the only thing I know is that we have (or supposed to have) unlimited data with Rogers.

To that effect I never really bothered as to try and figure out my consumption...

On a day to day basis, I mostly do emails, some instant messaging, small files here and there, VPN to get some internal information, browsing for images, and in some cases I may have to get video feeds. Back home I have my personal WiFi and if I'm on the road most Hotels have WiFi as well. I use it mostly when at customer site and don't have authorization to connect through their network.

Considering my home service consumption when I work from Home I would assess an average of .75Gb / day. I use the tether between 5~10 days days / month so My tether consumption would vary between 4~10Gb / month depending on the month and the number of days I'm on the road that month.

Hope this helps.

I am waiting for Rogers to issue their new Sierra LTE card to order my new service.
    Might even buy a USB router and kill my home connection all together...
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

Support my work: