Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is it really impossible to use skype on pre plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBIE View Post
    Is it really impossible to use skype on pre plus?
    Works on Verizon palm pre+ with Verizon pre2 skype ipk...

what device do you have? And on which carrier?
    dzee206 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

Hello,

I actually just came here to ask the same question but found this thread and decided to just pop in (very impolite...) and ask here
    I've got a hp pre 3 now, and also have a old palm pre plus, which I wanted to give to my girlfriend. Now I would like to have us both to be able to use skype on both phones. But unfortunately the pre plus does not have skype on webos 2.1.0

Also, I saw a post by someone on some other forum, saying that it would be possible to doctor a pre plus with webos 2.2.0, which I don't believe is possible... googled that, didn't find any answer on that.

@John Steffes
    So here are my specs:
    Palm Pre Plus, webos 2.1.0
    carrier: o2 Germany

So is there any way to get the Verizon pre2 skype ipk (and then actually get it to work...) on a non-Verizon device?

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance!

Slad
    Last edited by Slad; 10/15/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    I would love to try out that pre2 Skype ipk...on my GSM Pre2
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

how did you get the ipk, do i need to recompile a meta-doctor again in roder to use skype?

edit: nvm i got the two ipk's but what are the dependecy requirments i need to meet in order to install it properly?
    Last edited by dzee206; 10/15/2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Quote Originally Posted by dzee206 View Post
    how did you get the ipk, do i need to recompile a meta-doctor again in roder to use skype?

edit: nvm i got the two ipk's but what are the dependecy requirments i need to meet in order to install it properly?
    Hey, dzee206.

Can you tell me where you got the ipk's? Is it possible to get them legally? Sorry for the dumb question... Just to clarify, whether you actually can give me a link to them here, cause if they are "illegal" I guess you can't post it here...

Also, did you actually get it to work?
    You can get a Verizon Pre2 2.1.0 Dr. From the WebOS Doctor web site. One can then unpack using the metadoctor process... This will give you a directory that has the extracted webOS Dr. With that under carrier is the IPK(s). You can also use the test pre plus script I created that Rod included in the metadoctor scripts. This will work 100% for a Verizon Pre Plus. Now as for other carriers... I have heard others say it won't work, but I am on Verizon, so can not say if it will work or not... Now Verizon Skype is voice only, no video, but it still is Skype. Let me know how it works... FYI please do NOT distribute the IPK's one can download them from HP and do what you want with them on your machine, but unless you get HP consent we can not distribute any of their software.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/17/2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    You can get a Verizon Pre2 2.1.0 Dr. From the WebOS Doctor web site. One can then unpack using the metadoctor process... This will give you a directory that has the extracted webOS Dr. With that under carrier is the IPK(s). You can also use the test pre plus script I created that Rod included in the metadoctor scripts. This will work 100% for a Verizon Pre Plus. Now as for other carriers... I have heard others say it won't work, but I am on Verizon, so can not say if it will work or not... Now Verizon Skype is voice only, no video, but it still is Skype. Let me know how it works... FYI please do not distribute the IPK's one can download them from HP and do what you want with them on your machine, but unless you get HP consent we can not distribute any of their software.
    how did you add skype account on your pre, i tried in accounts then went to find more and i get no applications found. i didnt get the ipk's from the 2.1.0 doctor but the 2.0.1 does it really matter which doctor i got them from?
    Last edited by dzee206; 10/17/2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: update

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    how did you add skype account on your pre, i tried in accounts then went to find more and i get no applications found. i didnt get the ipk's from the 2.1.0 doctor but the 2.0.1 does it really matter which doctor i got them from?
    I modified the metadoctor script and built a test script which Rod included in the metadoctor scripts. Now assuming you get the IPK's from the Dr. and yes the 2.1.0 version is newer then the 2.0.1 version, so I would use the newer version. Copy them to your USB drive. Assuming you know how to novaterm, then use the ipkg install ipk_name to install them. They can not be installed via PreWare or WebOSQuickInstall. If you installed via that method it does not update the root. Now under Accounts I have a Skype Mobile to add accounts with. Again, I can not say this will work on any other carrier, I have Verizon and it works 100% for me. Also I got Skype via the metadoctor process and have not done it via the IPKG process although it should work...

Remember to change your root from read only to read/write using mount -o remount,rw /
    then when done reset the root by running mount -o remount,ro /
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/04/2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    jennysoeung@ubuntu:~$ novaterm
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/# ipkg install ipk_com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory
    _1.0-13_armv7
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package ipk_com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/# ipkg install ipk_skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package ipk_skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/#

what am i doing wrong? thanks in advance.

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/# ipkg install ipk_com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory
    _1.0-13_armv7
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package ipk_com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/# ipkg install ipk_skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package ipk_skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/#

what am i doing wrong? thanks in advance.
    It can't find the source... assume you copied it to /media/internal/ then you need ipkg install /media/internal/com.skype.app...etc...

or cd /media/internal before doing the ipkg install...
    dzee206 likes this.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    It can't find the source... assume you copied it to /media/internal/ then you need ipkg install /media/internal/com.skype.app...etc...

or cd /media/internal before doing the ipkg install...

root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/# cd media/internal
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/media/internal# ls
    DCIM
    Music
    Open Source Information.pdf
    SNES GAMEZ
    appdata
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk
    downloads
    ringtones
    save_log
    screencaptures
    skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ipk
    wallpapers
    webos-patches.log
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/media/internal# ipkg install skyped_1.0-28.3_armv7.ip
    k
    Begin installation of skyped
    Installing skyped (1.0-28.3) to root...
    Configuring skyped
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/media/internal# ipkg install com.skype.app.skypesearc
    hdirectory_1.0-13_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory
    Installing com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory (1.0-13) to root...
    Configuring com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory
    root@Dz Dznutz's Palm Pre:/media/internal#

alright ive managed to install it from the looks of things but when i go to accounts skype is there. when i click on it nothing happens.
    edit:my pre only needed to be restarted for it to work, now only if my pre would quit roaming i could sign in.
    Last edited by dzee206; 10/18/2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: update

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    the real question to me is--how about the pre3 skype ipk?? Itd be great to be able to do skype over data/wifi, not just the janky verizon method.
    anyways, since theres only 1 device with this method going, it makes more sense to take the skype that works on several regions devices and experiment with it. Imho.
    as long as it doesnt look for that front camera & complain if not found, we should be fine. :-) (unless the binary is actually incompatible, but I find that hard to believe.)
    I only have a pre2 on vz so I dont want to screw it up by testing..
    oh! Maybe I can try on my old pre+.. (while I'm there maybe I can figure out how to save gMaps too! :-)
    Last edited by sanaking; 10/24/2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: minor clarifications
    has anyone else managed to skype working on other WebOS devices?
    Excuse me, I'm not good with doing linux stuff, so can somebody please tell me what i am doing wrong here:

root@name - Palm Pre:/media/internal# ipkg install skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    Installing skyped (1.0-27.5) to root...
    ipkg: //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.control: Read-only file system
    ipkg: //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.md5sums: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/bin/skyped: Read-only file system
    ipkg: extract_archive: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/com.skype.im.json: No such file or directory
    ipkg: extract_archive: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/images/: No such file or directory
    ipkg: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/images/skype32.png: No such file or directory
    ipkg: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/images/skype48.png: No such file or directory
    ipkg: extract_archive: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/resources/: No such file or directory
    ipkg: extract_archive: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/resources/en/: No such file or directory
    ipkg: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/resources/en/com.skype.im.json: No such file or directory
    ipkg: extract_archive: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/resources/es/: No such file or directory
    ipkg: /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.skype.im/resources/es/com.skype.im.json: No such file or directory
    ipkg: /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.skype.service: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.skype.service: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/com.skype.im.json: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/share/ls2/roles/pub/com.skype.ui.json: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.contact.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.imcommand.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.imgroupchat.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.imloginstate.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/kinds/com.palm.immessage.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/db/permissions/com.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/tempdb/kinds/com.palm.imbuddystatus.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/tempdb/kinds/com.skype.gateway: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/tempdb/permissions/com.skype: Read-only file system
    ipkg: extract_archive: /etc/palm/activities/com.skype.im/: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /etc/palm/activities/com.skype.im/com.palm.imloginstate.skype: No such file or directory
    can't get //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.control open for read
    Configuring skyped
    ipkg_conf_write_status_files: Can't open status file: //usr/lib/ipkg/status for writing: Read-only file system
    pkg_write_filelist pkg=skyped returned 30
    Collected errors:
    Unable to open the control file in set_flags_from_control
    Could not open //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.list for writing: Read-only file system
    Could not open //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.list for writing: Read-only file system
    root@name - Palm Pre:/media/internal#
    Quote Originally Posted by Slad View Post
    Excuse me, I'm not good with doing linux stuff, so can somebody please tell me what i am doing wrong here:

root@name - Palm Pre:/media/internal# ipkg install skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    Installing skyped (1.0-27.5) to root...
    ipkg: //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.control: Read-only file system
    ipkg: //usr/lib/ipkg/info/skyped.md5sums: Read-only file system
    ipkg: /usr/bin/skyped: Read-only file system
    two things first you need to run the command....
    mount -o remount,rw /
    so that you have read/write access to root.
    second remember to install both ipks for skype...
    then also run the command mount -o remount,ro to change it back to read only

fyi the webos 2.1 build has a newer version of skype... Make sure you use the newer 28.3_armv7.ipk...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/04/2011 at 07:07 PM.
    two things first you need to run the command....
    mount -o remount,rw /
    so that you have read/write access to root.
    second remember to install both ipks for skype...
    then also run the command mount -o remount,ro to change it back to read only

fyi the webos 2.1 build has a newer version of skype... Make sure you use the newer 28.3_armv7.ipk...
    Thanks for your answer!
    I'll try it out in the next few days and will post my result... Hope i'll get it right this time - Be ready for more questions
    So here's my result:

I've finally installed the Verizon skype ipk on my old Pre Plus.
    The installation went fine eventually and in accounts and setting I could chose to set up a skype mobile account.
    But it turned out that this post would just become a verification of the fact that skype unfortunately does NOT run on non-verizon networks, as I am on O2-Germany and I get a login error (Unable to sign into account)
    I was hoping for a better outcome, though I knew that the probability of skype to work on not-Verizon is veery low.

So, yeah, gonna have to make my girlfriend use the not so user-friendly imo.im (it seems so to me on the Palm Pre display, though I use it often on my pc. I mean, I'm not criticizing imo.im here :-) )

Makes me pretty sad
    Hope somebody will find a workaround for this... Good luck to the person who tries

Thanks again, John Steffes, for your help!
    Sorry I am on Verizon, but I do have two phones pre+ and pre2 one is on network one is WiFi only and Skype works fine on both (webOS 2.1.0 for both) as Verizon never released webOS 2.1.0 on pre+ and it worked, thought it might have been the method of which it was installed.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    any one know of a work around of some sort to sign in? i was able to install skype a while ago but ever since then i can never sign in, i always get an error sayin "cant sign in while roaming" or something along those lines. im with verizon doing this on my pre+
    Last edited by dzee206; 11/08/2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast