1.    #1  
    About two weeks ago the automatic update up'd my OS to 2.1. Since then my phone can't hold a charge for more than three hours. It goes from 100% to dead in less than 3 hours. Something is killing it.

I downloaded some apps to see whats running in the background but I can't quite see whats doing it. GPS/wi-fi/blue tooth are all off. I clocked my phone from 1Gz down to 800Mz (with Govnah) and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

JsTOP shows the following processes:
    name: Nodes Handles
    Ssytemui 95 69
    Phone 106 53
    Email 76 15
    Messaging 60 9
    Calendar 60 8
    Launcher 201 8
    Browser 63 3
    Contacts 63 3
    Jstop 27 3
    Camera 30 1
    Phone 25 0
    Phone 2072 0
    Jstop 130 0
    Systemui 145 0

Is phone nodes of 2072 normal? What else can I look at at to see whats sucking down my battery - there doesn't appear to be any app thats out of the ordinary. What apps can I get for a better understand of whats running in the background?
    turn off email polling, facebook, etc to see if something is keeping your radio on.
    Mine seems to have this problem intermittently. I installed battery monitor now and I keep it running pretty much all the time.. when the average drain per hour % goes over 7 when nothing is running, I restart the phone. Sometimes I have to restart more than once, but eventually it goes down below 4% (with wifi, bluetooth, and data off). Sometimes even lower than that. I don't know what the variables are.. this phone is very odd.

I don't know if this is happening on your pre2, but a lot of other people are complaining about a sleep/wake problem. I can't explain it effectively, I read about it in the thread "horrendous battery life" http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tery-life.html
    Also, forgot to mention. I just ran Jstop (when my phone is behaving, average drain per hour is only at 3.61% after 12 hours) -- I have several entries for phone, but the highest one is only 1039. The rest are 106, 25, and 39.

I don't know what this actually means though, so I don't really know how abnormal 2072 actually is.
  5.    #5  
    i have shutdown and restarted the phone several times, this has had no affect and my battery draining very quickly. Using jstop I am trying to shut down various processes - but these are just Javascript processes. How can I see the linux processes running - is there a good app for that? I also made certain every app is up to date with the new 2.1

How can I turn off logging? Via jsTop, I shut down email/calendar/contacts - waiting to see if there is any impact. This is killing me though...3 hours of standby time and the phone dies
    I'm also interested in a program to tell me what linux processes are running.

I know there's a patch to muffle system logging, but I didn't install that.. I went to the phone app and typed #*LOGS# - actually the numbers that correspond to LOGS, but I don't have my phone in front of me and can't remember what they are. The #* is for the gsm version of the phone (I don't remember what the cdma version uses.. maybe two #'s?) Then I set logging to minimal. I don't know the difference between doing this and using the patch.. I read that some people were having issues with one of the versions of that patch, something about email attachments not opening anymore.. I didn't finish the thread though so I don't know if it was resolved. It probably was.
    Also, have you tried doctoring the phone? I would try that, see if it makes any difference.

And, if all else fails, you can get a brand new palm brand battery on amazon for around 3 dollars including shipping.. maybe you should get a few extras just in case.
    Install a terminal app or use the phone while tethered and use Novacom terminal window to get to Linux command line and run "top". You can then see what is running at the Linux level.

As for the battery - run Dr. Battery and or Battery Monitor regularly and verify that the drain per hour adds up. A 33% drain per hour is very odd.

Last but not least - for simplicity - try turning data off. You can download a homebrew app or patch to do this or just open the phone preferences and toggle data off there. With the data off what's battery life like? After testing that - try with airplane mode turned on.

Is there a custom kernel installed? If so revert to stock for another test.
    if you get the terminal app from preware you can run the command pa -ef to see all processes. There is also an app on preware called lumberjack with it you can check the system log
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnkeeper View Post
    if you get the terminal app from preware you can run the command pa -ef to see all processes. There is also an app on preware called lumberjack with it you can check the system log
    As far as I know the Terminal App is not working in 2.x. I think SDL Terminal or Terminus are the only on-device options - but I don't have a 2.x device to know this for sure.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 10/10/2011 at 01:41 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, an update. Have some progress here. My thoughts are particularly due to #2.

1: After the update to webOS 2.1 I didn't realize there were a host of applications that didn't auto-update (or even alert me they needed updating). Probably about 10 in all that had little 'blue arrows' next to them in the app manager/preware app(s) that indicated they had updates available - I had to update them each manually, one at a time. I wonder if some apps that weren't updated properly were causing some kind of massive background processes to run (even though jsTop didn't show them running) causing a drain on the battery because they weren't working properly, kept trying to restart, kept trying to connect to internet for updates, etc. I don't know if this would be the case, but its still a logical guess.

2: Using jsTop I shut down calendar, contacts and email. I can't see why calendar auto-runs itself every time as I never use the calendar for anything. But I do see that even when i shut down 'contacts' it restarts itself when someone sends me a text message. It has to open contacts to match the number to person to tell me who sent the text message. Makes sense.

After stopping all three...my battery has returned to normal. It fully charges, holds its charge for the correct amount of time, it doesn't over heat during charge (particularly on the touchstone). Since then calendar and contacts have restarted themselves and the battery continues to work normal.

I am about to test restarting email again and see what impact this has on the battery. My guess, at this point, is that email was behaving badly and keeping some kind of radio/data connection and was going non-stop draining my battery very fast. But why it would do this after the webOS2.1 update I have no clue. Is there a known issue on the Pre2 with 2.1 that would cause email to do this? If so, is there a patch/fix for it?

As well, the email bug is back that when I do check email all I see is a black box on every email - how do I fix that?

Will update shortly with the email testing.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have noticed random (every couple days, sometimes multiple times in one day and then nothing for a few days) behavior where the phone gets VERY hot and battery is drained rapidly. Fix for this seems to be pull the battery reset and then wait till it happens again. I was thinking I had a hardware failure (tried different touchstone battery cover and battery but problem was still there). Now I am thinking I do not have a hardware issue but some type of software bug. Problem started when I did the OTA update on my Pre 2 to the OS 2.1 version (had a doctored 2.1 before then).
    Pilot 5000, PalmPilot Personal, Palm III, Palm IIIx, TRGPro, HandEra 330, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755, Pre Plus, Pre 2 and Touchpad.
  13.    #14  
    @somline : I do recall one of the patches I updated after the webOS 2.1 update was the "can't sleep" patch. Haven't gone through email test yet though.
    Never heard about a "can't sleep" patch. Can you point me to it?
    We never found a way to fix it. One member claimed to have fixed it with a different kernel.
    EDIT: Try it out like described from arrasmtith http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2681524
    Last edited by somline; 10/11/2011 at 01:39 PM.
  15.    #16  
    @crawfpm: Its def an OS or bug issue. Logic has it that your battery & hardware worked fine before upgrade, but then not after upgrade. Would be a different story if you hadn't done any updates or upgrades and then you hardware started malfunctioning -but is not the case here.
  16.    #17  
    Final Update:

The problem has gone away. Email/Calendar/Contacts are all now running in the background - an issue that I thought may have been causing the power drain. However, I believe the real issue (though not 100% certain) was upgrading all my applications following the webOS 2.1 upgrade. There were about 10 apps that didn't auto-update themselves. They each had a blue arrow next to them (in app manager or preware) indicating an update was available. I went through each one and updated them manually, rebooted the phone and the problem is now gone.

1. No more overheating on TouchStone charger
    2. No more not charging all the way up to 100%
    3. No more battery draining in 3 hours.

I have a hunch, but no real proof, that it was related to the "No Auto-Off While Charging" patch, but also updated were:
    Preware
    No Auto-Answer Upon Touchstone Removal
    Enable Virtual Keyboard
    Default Month View
    Add Move to Folder Button
    Advanced Reset Options
    More Standby Times
    ...and probably a few more I can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    I have noticed random (every couple days, sometimes multiple times in one day and then nothing for a few days) behavior where the phone gets VERY hot and battery is drained rapidly. Fix for this seems to be pull the battery reset and then wait till it happens again. I was thinking I had a hardware failure (tried different touchstone battery cover and battery but problem was still there). Now I am thinking I do not have a hardware issue but some type of software bug. Problem started when I did the OTA update on my Pre 2 to the OS 2.1 version (had a doctored 2.1 before then).
    I had this issue when I first got my Pre 2 but it seems to have settled down in the past week. I was so frustrated when I first got my phone that I was about ready to sell it (orig. Pre - owner) as my batter life was worse then my original phone. Weird, I know!! I saw this thread which made me open Battery Monitor to track over the next day to see what kind of battery life that I'm experiencing currently. I will try to report back.

tx,