1.    #1  
    Hi,

Hope this isn't a daft question. The screen has broken on my Pre and I wondered if I replace it with a screen from ebay if that will somehow trigger the $10 a month fee? Wasn't sure if the comms board or some other feature is embedded under the screen.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers.
    Not if this is the only thing you are doing. The screen, com-board and main pc board are all separate. You should not even need to Doctor. I will stress that this is no light job to do. The screen and digitizer are glued together and this requires a complete tear apart of the phone. I've done it several times and there are videos online showing how it's done.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Hmmm, since you are talking about a Pre and asking about a $10 fee, I'm assuming you are on Sprint? Why not get TEP and then have Sprint replace the device for you? I've replaced 2 broken Pres this way and it will not trigger the $10 fee. Only if you activate a new device and a TEP swap doesn't count as a new device.

I don't know how much a new screen will cost on eBay but TEP will only cost $7/month

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Not if this is the only thing you are doing. The screen, com-board and main pc board are all separate. You should not even need to Doctor. I will stress that this is no light job to do. The screen and digitizer are glued together and this requires a complete tear apart of the phone. I've done it several times and there are videos online showing how it's done.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hi Craftsman, thanks for the quick response. I am looking at replacement screens on ebay and it looks like they come with the screen and digitizer together. Can I just swap out the existing screen & digitizer together for the new ebay one without having to separate them? Looks like this is a lot easier to accomplish!

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    Hmmm, since you are talking about a Pre and asking about a $10 fee, I'm assuming you are on Sprint? Why not get TEP and then have Sprint replace the device for you? I've replaced 2 broken Pres this way and it will not trigger the $10 fee. Only if you activate a new device and a TEP swap doesn't count as a new device.

I don't know how much a new screen will cost on eBay but TEP will only cost $7/month
    The reason I didn't go with TEP for my Pre is that I heard that I wouldn't necessarily get another Pre if a replacement was done. Sounds like you were lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtait View Post
    The reason I didn't go with TEP for my Pre is that I heard that I wouldn't necessarily get another Pre if a replacement was done. Sounds like you were lucky.
    Well, I did get my replacements back in April so I guess it's possible that they no longer have any refurbs. Do you have a repair store near you? Sprint Store Locator
    Just bring it to the store and before you even give it to the tech, ask if they have any replacements. Can't hurt to ask!

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    I just brought my Pre- in on Sunday. (broken flux cable is most likely the problem) and they ordered me a new pre. Funny part is mine is LITERALLY super glued all over the place (been knocked out of my hands quite a few times).
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.