Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just picked up a Pre+ on Verizon to try out WebOS.

Compared to my Droid2 (Cyanongen Mod, OCed to 1.3ghz) the Pre2 is very sluggish but that's to be expected.

What I would like to know is what are some things I could do to see the best side of the Pre+. So far i've installed WebOS 2 and overclocked to 1ghz. What else can I do to get the most out of the hardware, software, and battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by breNTx22 View Post
    I just picked up a Pre+ on Verizon to try out WebOS.

Compared to my Droid2 (Cyanongen Mod, OCed to 1.3ghz) the Pre2 is very sluggish but that's to be expected.

What I would like to know is what are some things I could do to see the best side of the Pre+. So far i've installed WebOS 2 and overclocked to 1ghz. What else can I do to get the most out of the hardware, software, and battery?
    +1.

The die hard Sprint webOS users might be turning to Pre+ and Pre2s these days now that the Pre3 fiasco has seemed to settle. I have been doing research and must confess that the road from 1.4.5 to 2.1 for the Pre+ and Pre- reads like a John Girsham novel (or a HP tablet launch) i.e., convoluted. I have lots of questions.

What is the story about app catalog access with 2.1? Does the metadoctor fool the app catalog into thinking the Pre+ is running 1.4.5., an official release, unlike 2.1, which is unofficial?

How much have things simplified on the installation front. I seems I no longer have to hunt down NovaBingimham Wine (or whatever the leaked release was coded named) nor some chinese ftp sight, but what do the scripts at WebOS Internals really buy me?

Do I still have to run CYGWIN to get this to work? Do I have to run Ubuntu instead?

According to the "Sprint webOS 2.1.0 Upgrade - simplified thread," it looks like neither method was safe. (According to NuttyBunny. And, based on his incredible work on getting 2.1 running on the Pixi, I am inclined to heed his advice and not follow the instructions on that thread) So where else should I turn? Is there a definitive source for running the upgrade?

And then to the question of the OP, what has been the outcome of everyone's hard work? How does 2.1 really run on the Pre+. Can or Can NOT it be overclocked, considering the WebOS Internals team won't support the unofficial release? (think I read that somewhere?)

Any much loved patches that couldn't make the transition?

Does Flash work or not work using the meta doctor on the WebOS internals wiki?

Does the Amazon MP3 store work?

If overclocking is possible, what were some settled upon Govnah settings? (CompCache enabled or disabled, etc.)

I can tell from there record that there were a lot of brains working on this one. What were the big takeaways.

Sincere thanks to everyone here. Don't know what I'd do without you (and I'm not alone in feeling this way. Lurkers everywhere agree with me, I'm sure.)
    I have the 1.1Ghz kernel in the Beta feed running on my ATT Pre+. It identifies to the catalog as 1.4.5, so no 2.x apps for me The Sprint ver I believe does identify as 2.1 though. Flash is not installed via the metadoctor, but it is a relatively easy thing to patch in, and it works fine. I'm pretty happy with it, although I mainly use it for development and Freetether.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I have the 1.1Ghz kernel in the Beta feed running on my ATT Pre+. It identifies to the catalog as 1.4.5, so no 2.x apps for me The Sprint ver I believe does identify as 2.1 though. Flash is not installed via the metadoctor, but it is a relatively easy thing to patch in, and it works fine. I'm pretty happy with it, although I mainly use it for development and Freetether.
    Thanks for the clarification eblade. And I didn't know there was a 1.1 Ghz kernel out there. I thought the overclock limit was 1.0Ghz with the default set to about half that speed. And you also answered another question I had about freetether. Nice to know that still works.