1.    #1  
    We are looking to replace my Wife"s Pre. She has a fair amount of text messages she would like to get off the Pre by emailing them to herself. My question is will she be able to do this after her Pre has been deactivated and a new phone activated? I know this will need to be via WIFI if it is possible.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    That shouldn't be a problem but why not do it before you get the new phone?
  3.    #3  
    It is a fairly monumental task that she would like to do over time.
    I wouldn't try it, because if she gets logged out of her profile, they are gone forever (they are not backed up in 1.4.x)

if you search this forum, there is a thread that explains how to pull them out with a free sql viewer. I'm mobile atm so I can't hunt it down. It tells you how to pull them out of a file called palmdatabase.db3. That is also much faster because you will get them all at once, in a .csv file. And whatever you decide, make sure you grab a copy of the palmdatabase.db3 and back it up on your PC so you can work on the task without needing the phone..
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    That is a good point Cantafforfit makes, as long as she's logged into her profile it should be fine but if she's logged out they are gone.