Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I will be getting my verizon Pre Plus later today. The first thing i'll do is upgrade it to WebOS 2.1 (from the stock 1.4 I think).

Is this the most up to date and straight forward guide?

webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade
    I get my pre today also, and I was asking about that guide. I was told to try 1.4 first to see if it does what I need it to do. If you look at the activity tab, it's been updated last month.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    I get my pre today also, and I was asking about that guide. I was told to try 1.4 first to see if it does what I need it to do. If you look at the activity tab, it's been updated last month.
    I was told that 1.4 is good but 2.1 is better so I might as well just go 2.1 off the bat. I was also told that when you first run your device you must have a "Palm Profile" (or something like that) and if you have it on 1.4 then try to log in with it on 2.1 (assuming you upgrade) you can run into issues when it converts your profile. I haven't looked into that but i'm just going off of what i'm told. I will be going to 2.1 as soon as I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by breNTx22 View Post
    I will be getting my verizon Pre Plus later today. The first thing i'll do is upgrade it to WebOS 2.1 (from the stock 1.4 I think).

Is this the most up to date and straight forward guide?

webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade
    Yes, the WebOS Internals Wiki is always the most up-to-date resource, BUT you MUST read through the entire page TWICE BEFORE starting since it notes some critical changes to the process.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    Yes, the WebOS Internals Wiki is always the most up-to-date resource, BUT you MUST read through the entire page TWICE BEFORE starting since it notes some critical changes to the process.
    Noted.

Is the worst case scenario you just do it again? I thought one of the nice features about messing with a WebOS phone was you can't brick it or permanently break it (software wise)?
    I was told that 1.4 is good but 2.1 is better so I might as well just go 2.1 off the bat. I was also told that when you first run your device you must have a "Palm Profile" (or something like that) and if you have it on 1.4 then try to log in with it on 2.1 (assuming you upgrade) you can run into issues when it converts your profile. I haven't looked into that but i'm just going off of what i'm told. I will be going to 2.1 as soon as I get it.
    I upgraded my 1.4.5 Pre Plus on Verizon to 2.1 and logged into my same palm profile more than once. It should work just fine.

Noted.

Is the worst case scenario you just do it again? I thought one of the nice features about messing with a WebOS phone was you can't brick it or permanently break it (software wise)?
    If anything goes wrong you should always be able to restore your phone using the official webOS doctor for your phone. Then you can start the 2.1 upgrade process again.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I'm going to read it twice, play with 1.4, then contemplate do I really want to upgrade, then read it two more times!
    Got dog, it looks like installing MetaDoctor is the most difficult part of the process. Screw that!
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Got dog, it looks like installing MetaDoctor is the most difficult part of the process. Screw that!
    its so easy its just copy and paste, building the meta-doctor usually takes about 20 minutes and doctoring maybe 10. is this the only thing discouraging you from attempting this? im just curious.
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Nah, I have MetaDoctor installed. I'm just waiting for USPS to deliver my pre which has been "out for delivery" since 1:49 am. I downloaded 1.4.5, so I hope that's what's on the phone when it arrives.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Nah, I have MetaDoctor installed. I'm just waiting for USPS to deliver my pre which has been "out for delivery" since 1:49 am. I downloaded 1.4.5, so I hope that's what's on the phone when it arrives.
    yeah delivery takes forever, hopefully they dont miss your house. ive had that happen way to many times with usps. even if its not on 1.4.5 just doctor to it anyways since you already have it downloaded. if your anything like me and use you phone for listening to music alot voice dial is gonna give you a hard time. i almost threw my pre out the window cause of it lol.
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Yeah, I listen to music on my phone all day. I just hope I doctored it correctly. Oh, and USPS didn't show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dzee206 View Post
    yeah delivery takes forever, hopefully they dont miss your house. ive had that happen way to many times with usps. even if its not on 1.4.5 just doctor to it anyways since you already have it downloaded. if your anything like me and use you phone for listening to music alot voice dial is gonna give you a hard time. i almost threw my pre out the window cause of it lol.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm having a bit of trouble...

When I try to create the doctor file it cannot create it.

"brent@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ ./scripts/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0
    DEVICE = preplus
    CARRIER = wr
    VERSION = 2.1.0
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
    CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST = P101EWW
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST = Verizon
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

make: Nothing to be done for `unpack'.
    cp: cannot stat `build/pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.1.0/webOS/roadrunnercdmafw.tar': No such file or directory
    tar: ./castlecdmafw.tar: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    brent@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ ./scripts/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0
    DEVICE = preplus
    CARRIER = wr
    VERSION = 2.1.0
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
    CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST = P101EWW
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST = Verizon
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

cp: cannot stat `build/pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.1.0/webOS/roadrunnercdmafw.tar': No such file or directory
    tar: ./castlecdmafw.tar: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    "

Any suggestions?
    I'm having a bit of trouble...

When I try to create the doctor file it cannot create it....

Any suggestions?
    Hmm I wonder if it didn't finish downloading the various doctors...in any case the instructions weren't fully followed. You can try deleting the entire directory created from the steps in the meta-doctor wiki and try again, observing if there are any errors along the way.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hmm I wonder if it didn't finish downloading the various doctors...in any case the instructions weren't fully followed. You can try deleting the entire directory created from the steps in the meta-doctor wiki and try again, observing if there are any errors along the way.
    I believe I followed everything but I will try again today on a different computer with Ubuntu 10.10.

One thing I will note is I tried to have it download the metadoctor for other Palms on verizon and other carriers and they all download fine.

Edit: I should also note that when I use the "Verizon Pre+" code it does create one metadocter that is named somewhat similar to what I want. I don't have it in front of me but it's something like "meta-wr-p101ueu". However, my device is "p101eww" so i'm not sure if that matters.
    Yeah, mine was some weird name too, then it gave me a error message, but the wiki said that If I was sure I downloaded the correct file, just rename it to match the name the error message gave me.
    I believe I followed everything but I will try again today on a different computer with Ubuntu 10.10.

One thing I will note is I tried to have it download the metadoctor for other Palms on verizon and other carriers and they all download fine.

Edit: I should also note that when I use the "Verizon Pre+" code it does create one metadocter that is named somewhat similar to what I want. I don't have it in front of me but it's something like "meta-wr-p101ueu". However, my device is "p101eww" so i'm not sure if that matters.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yeah, mine was some weird name too, then it gave me a error message, but the wiki said that If I was sure I downloaded the correct file, just rename it to match the name the error message gave me.
    I didn't not try to rename anything.

Could you go into more detail about what you renamed and how you knew what to name it?
    It's in the wiki. I say start over and do it step by step. This is my first time trying this also, so I wouldn't want to tell you something that's not correct or out of order.
    I didn't not try to rename anything.

Could you go into more detail about what you renamed and how you knew what to name it?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    It's in the wiki. I say start over and do it step by step. This is my first time trying this also, so I wouldn't want to tell you something that's not correct or out of order.
    I'm still unsure of what you're referring too.

The only thing that I didn't do but is relevant is Step 2 of the MetaDoctor page.

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

"Step 2: Running the webOS Doctor

Note that if you are following a procedure on another wiki page which only requires the installation of the MetaDoctor and then tells you to return to that other page, then this is the place at which you should return.

<SNIPPED PART ABOUT WIFI ONLY>

Note : if you receive an error message when running the make file, (e.g 'Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar'), and you are sure you have the correct doctor you need to rename your doctor file, so it matches the name in the error message (e.g. sudo mv webosdoctorp220mantawr.jar webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar)
    The wr version is the French,German,Irish,Spanish and UK GSM version. An example (e.g. current Web OS as of 11/23/11) download command would be:

TERMINAL COMMAND: cd downloads

TERMINAL COMMAND: wget http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...2hstnhwifi.jar

If you would like Meta-Doctor to apply patches to webOS in order to add or change functionality from the factory install, open the Makefile with your favorite text editor and uncomment (remove the leading # characters from) the options you would like to use. For example, if you plan to install Ubuntu, now is the time to uncomment the EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE option in the Makefile and edit it per these instructions.
    Before doing the next step, make sure you change back into the meta-doctor directory first. All the following commands must be run from the meta-doctor directory.
    Type one of the following:

<OTHER PHONES AND CARRIERS>
    make DEVICE=preplus CARRIER=verizonwireless all
    <OTHER PHONES AND CARRIERS>
    "

I did not do that because the WebOS 2 Upgrade page specifically says to come back to it after Step 1 on the MetaDoctor page. However, if you can confirm that doing Step 2 on the MetaDoctor page worked for you then I will try it.

Thanks!
    "Note : if you receive an error message when running the make file, (e.g 'Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar'), and you are sure you have the correct doctor you need to rename your doctor file, so it matches the name in the error message (e.g. sudo mv webosdoctorp220mantawr.jar webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar)"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast