Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been trying to do the same thing recently, but running into problems despite having read the tutorial many times. This is for a VZW Pre+.

Quote Originally Posted by dzee206 View Post
    its so easy its just copy and paste, building the meta-doctor usually takes about 20 minutes and doctoring maybe 10. is this the only thing discouraging you from attempting this? im just curious.
    That the meta-doctor is apparently a Linux-only tool is a bit problematic. I'm not able to get Ubuntu running inside Windows as per the tutorial. I'm assuming that feature of Wubi is not supported on 64-bit Win7, because I don't get any "Install Inside Windows" option. The only option I get is to reboot so that I can either run the Live CD or install.

I already had VirtualBox setup on account of the WebOS SDK, so I thought maybe I would just try installing Ubuntu into a VM and see if I could run through the instructions that way. Got it installed and ran all of the setting up metadoctor instructions. Then when I tried to run "./scripts/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0" the process failed after a while. Unfortunately I didn't catch the error output.

I'm obviously not familiar with all of the technical details of this process, but it looks like meta-doctor just creates a new "WebOS Doctor" jar with the modifications for your particular model. This is all done before your device is even plugged in, so it doesn't seem like it would be doing something unique to your device. If two different people run the script for the same model, shouldn't we all get the same output files? And if that's the case, why couldn't those files just be distributed instead of having everyone go through the process of rebuilding the jar? Seems like it would make everyone's lives easier.

Am I off base here?
    Got my Pre and I'm not going to bother updating. This is pretty aweaome with 1.4.5

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I've been trying to do the same thing recently, but running into problems despite having read the tutorial many times. This is for a VZW Pre+.

That the meta-doctor is apparently a Linux-only tool is a bit problematic. I'm not able to get Ubuntu running inside Windows as per the tutorial. I'm assuming that feature of Wubi is not supported on 64-bit Win7, because I don't get any "Install Inside Windows" option. The only option I get is to reboot so that I can either run the Live CD or install.

I already had VirtualBox setup on account of the WebOS SDK, so I thought maybe I would just try installing Ubuntu into a VM and see if I could run through the instructions that way. Got it installed and ran all of the setting up metadoctor instructions. Then when I tried to run "./scripts/meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0" the process failed after a while. Unfortunately I didn't catch the error output.

I'm obviously not familiar with all of the technical details of this process, but it looks like meta-doctor just creates a new "WebOS Doctor" jar with the modifications for your particular model. This is all done before your device is even plugged in, so it doesn't seem like it would be doing something unique to your device. If two different people run the script for the same model, shouldn't we all get the same output files? And if that's the case, why couldn't those files just be distributed instead of having everyone go through the process of rebuilding the jar? Seems like it would make everyone's lives easier.

Am I off base here?
    to redistribute them would be illegal, with creating your own meta-doctor its all legit and palm/hp cant do nothing about it. as for your problem with wubi you need to restart your comp in order for the installation to finish. wubi will install on windows first once thats done restart it and wait, it will soon pop up wit a screen asking if you wanna boot windows or ubuntu choose ubuntu after that another screen will pop up and choose the first option i think its ubuntu generic or something like that.
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I'm not able to get Ubuntu running inside Windows as per the tutorial. I'm assuming that feature of Wubi is not supported on 64-bit Win7, because I don't get any "Install Inside Windows" option. The only option I get is to reboot so that I can either run the Live CD or install.
    I just did a full install of Ubuntu to a 8GB flash drive using the USB installer since my computer can boot to it, and ran everything from there. I had to adjust the swap space though, so a 16GB flash drive would be better.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    After playing with my pre for a day. I want to know what's new in 2.1. I'm loving 1.4.5. They only downside is battery life, but I guess I'm playing with the phone so much, it's expected.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    After playing with my pre for a day. I want to know what's new in 2.1. I'm loving 1.4.5. They only downside is battery life, but I guess I'm playing with the phone so much, it's expected.
    I'm not exactly sure but i've heard from a lot of people that it's better overall. I saw a few online comparisons.

Anyway...My issue is fixed. I tried a fresh ubuntu install on a different computer and started from scratch. This time I did not get an error and everything has flashed successfully.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12