Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    i just bought a used Palm Pre off of ebay and activated it on my plan to replace my old dying one... My question is:

how can I still use my old Pre on say my wifi network at home/office? when I start it up and get to the sign into palm profile I enter my info but it says that it can't connect to my service provider? Which I know that because it has been deactivated but I know of other people who have had an old pre that they used as like an mp3 player and were able to use wifi for internet and data! how do I do that with a sprint palm pre?

thanks in advance for your help!
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    Quote Originally Posted by plcd22 View Post
    i just bought a used Palm Pre off of ebay and activated it on my plan to replace my old dying one... My question is:

how can I still use my old Pre on say my wifi network at home/office? when I start it up and get to the sign into palm profile I enter my info but it says that it can't connect to my service provider? Which I know that because it has been deactivated but I know of other people who have had an old pre that they used as like an mp3 player and were able to use wifi for internet and data! how do I do that with a sprint palm pre?

thanks in advance for your help!
    I was wondering if you solved your question? I will find myself in the same same situation soon, and I really want to be able to turn this phone on and look at pictures and videos. My usb port has been broken for a long time.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katnou View Post
    I was wondering if you solved your question? I will find myself in the same same situation soon, and I really want to be able to turn this phone on and look at pictures and videos. My usb port has been broken for a long time.
    yes here is the what I found out:

if you are getting a NON WebOS phone, then no worries just don't Doctor your old Pre or you won't be able to sign back into your profile. and with it you will be able to still use it just in "Offline mode" but you can still enable wifi and connect just like you would with say a wifi only tablet.

If you are getting another WebOS phone then you can't have both active on your palm profile at the same time, here are a couple options.

1. before switching to the new phone (activating it on your network account) put the old one in Airplane mode (and don't EVER take it out of airplane mode, or it will lock you out and you will get that "Sign-in" blue screen, and you will be locked out of your phone.) it should still function like this just like it would any other time in airplane mode.

2. you can simply create a new palm profile account - but remember all the apps and such from your old account won't transfer to the new account, no big deal unless you have some paid apps that you want to keep!

3. there is another way that envolves some more preware stuff and is more complicated that I can't explain here because it was too late for me and didn't bother trying to figure it out!

hope that helps, bottom line: IF you are getting an android or ios or anything else then you will be fine. If you are getting another WebOS phone then just make sure you enable Airplane mode BEFORE you activate your new phone!
    Last edited by plcd22; 03/31/2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: formatting
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    Wow thanks for such a quick answer. I thought I'd be waiting a few days before anyone answered. And I was worried that you didn't know cuz no one responded. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katnou View Post
    Wow thanks for such a quick answer. I thought I'd be waiting a few days before anyone answered. And I was worried that you didn't know cuz no one responded. Thanks again.
    Your welcome! Hope it helped