Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    Why not do a franken Pre 2 on sprint to get you over the next year or so? Honestly, I'm super happy with mine and I should be good for at least another year before I have to make a decision on OS switches...
    Well what can you get a Pre 2 for nowadays? All the bugs worked out and everything works fine with it on Sprint? I'm sure webOS Internals has simplified the process in some way now with scripts and stuff. I remember dealing with tokens and building my doctors myself when I did the Plus conversion, don't know if it's still like that now or not.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Sadly, I moved to Android. Only because I was given a limited time offer for a free phone knowing I wasnt going to be upgrading my webOS phone anytime soon. I still have my Pre Plus and power it on every day or two to update everything over wifi and play around with it. I really miss it. But from what HP has said, I dont see a new webOS phone coming out for some time. I agree with you that everything here in the forums is all Touchpad this and Touchpad that. I dont own a Touchpad so I havent been really active around here lately. And The android forums just arent as fun as the ones here.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    mjkjr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Well what can you get a Pre 2 for nowadays? All the bugs worked out and everything works fine with it on Sprint? I'm sure webOS Internals has simplified the process in some way now with scripts and stuff. I remember dealing with tokens and building my doctors myself when I did the Plus conversion, don't know if it's still like that now or not.
    Correct, there are now simple scripts that download the relevant doctors and merge them. It's pretty simple if you follow the instructions word for word. I think it's for Linux and Mac only though.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

Welcome back.
    mjkjr likes this.
  4.    #24  
    Oh boy, does it also handle the MEID's and ESN's etc? Like the token stuff. I like everything on my device to match up. From what I read, "NOTE: Tokens are no longer needed to create a Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2. You only need to run the script below. However, it is still a good idea to capture and store the tokens from each phone for potential future use."
    I know it's not needed, but if I skip this step then the MEID and SN stuff can't possibly match up right? Like I want my original Sprint MEID and SN to be implanted like how it is on my plus conversion if that makes sense, I switched stickers and everything when I did my swap. Where are you rwhitby? Ha ha.

I'm hunting for a Pre 2 now but I think they're out of my price range. I found a speaker replacement on ebay I'm sure it can't be any harder than doing a comm board swap right? Hmmm, maybe I should just order one of these.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 09/14/2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    the speker is a little harder to change then the com board but very do-able. There are 4 more screws to get to so the next layer of the phone can be accessed. Just did one last week.
    Last edited by mmm5288; 09/15/2011 at 09:02 AM.
    mjkjr likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Hmmm, pretty mechanically and electrically inclined, actually just inclined in general I guess ha ha so I'm sure I could handle it. Is it soldered in or anything like that? Not a problem there either, but I don't know if I want to solder my phone. Like the connections for the speaker? It's been so long since I've had my phones apart that I forgot what the insides are like, guess I might rip it open tonight. I could always use the speaker from my Verizon Pre but I still tinker with it sometimes and I'd rather not rip apart a good phone even if I rarely use it. Decisions...
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    by speaker do you mean the ear piece or the big one? The big one is stupid easy to replace if you've done the plusing before. I just frankenpre2-ed over the weekend and it's a whole new world. I got lucky and snagged a pre2 on firesale for 50 bucks when everyone else was busy looking for touchpads.

I would highly recommend the pre2 if you can find one. The doctor process is super simple if you have mac or unbuntu handy. if not installing unbuntu is also very easy and kind of fun to have around. The doctors do EVERYTHING for you now accept pull out the screws. Honestly with the touch/animation patches and the no tap ripple the thing feels iphone4 fast. Loads quick. Animations are smooth as silk. I was not expecting it to be this nice.
  8.    #28  
    Yeah I mean the big speakerphone speaker, the one most of my sounds come through.
    I can't believe that I spent so much time on these forums and never found a deal like these firesales, then as soon as I have no choice but to take a break for personal issues I miss out left and right. A great deal on a TouchPad or Pre 2 would really help brighten things up in my little world, like give me some sort of happiness despite all the BS. If anyone knows of where I could find either one and tells me where then I'll be your BFFF lol.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
  9.    #29  
    So based on the pictures I found here to refresh my memory. It looks like I could just swap the whole back panel between my Pre and Pre+ rather than swapping just the speakers individually? Correct? Wonder which would be easier, hmmm...
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Or you could sign up with AT&T and get a veer for $0.01. Unlocked Pre2's are about $125 on ebay the last time I looked.
    mjkjr likes this.
  11.    #31  
    Yeah, only problem being that I'm still in contract with Sprint. And I haven't seen a Veer in person, but if it's smaller than the Pre like I've gathered then I don't think I'd want one despite the great price. Absolutely can't have a smaller screen than I have now.
    I've seen some unlocked Pre 2's in that price range which isn't bad, it's just out of my price range for now. I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually though as long as I don't get frustrated and give up on owning a webOS device in the meantime.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE_Shields_PRE View Post
    unlimited data or 500mb and bells failure at calculating data?
    That's exactly it.

My bill cycle starts the 15th of every month.

I bought my TouchPad on the 15th of July.

First month I had 40GB data used, according to them, and I freeTether 5 nights/week, roughly 10 hours/night.

I just checked to see my data (it's the 14th) usage and as of right now I've used 29GB.

I have a replacement phone that should arrive in the next couple of days, due to some buttons not working. I'll be good for awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Sadly, I moved to Android. Only because I was given a limited time offer for a free phone knowing I wasnt going to be upgrading my webOS phone anytime soon. I still have my Pre Plus and power it on every day or two to update everything over wifi and play around with it. I really miss it. But from what HP has said, I dont see a new webOS phone coming out for some time. I agree with you that everything here in the forums is all Touchpad this and Touchpad that. I dont own a Touchpad so I havent been really active around here lately. And The android forums just arent as fun as the ones here.
    It's almost like having a party in an empty gymnasium by yourself.

I had a few questions about my girlfriends Incredible and it took a really long time just to get an answer back. You don't check up once in awhile on a question, you need to subscribe to the thread and wait a week for an email letting you know somebody replied.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It's almost like having a party in an empty gymnasium by yourself.

I had a few questions about my girlfriends Incredible and it took a really long time just to get an answer back. You don't check up once in awhile on a question, you need to subscribe to the thread and wait a week for an email letting you know somebody replied.
    I think it is due to the number of Android phones. The forums are active, just spread over many many more devices and topics. Which definitely makes it painful to get answers.

I'll be pestering the SGS2 E4GT forums from tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Yeah, only problem being that I'm still in contract with Sprint. And I haven't seen a Veer in person, but if it's smaller than the Pre like I've gathered then I don't think I'd want one despite the great price. Absolutely can't have a smaller screen than I have now.
    I've seen some unlocked Pre 2's in that price range which isn't bad, it's just out of my price range for now. I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually though as long as I don't get frustrated and give up on owning a webOS device in the meantime.
    I got mine for 100 bucks on craigslist locally so not terrible. If you have your old pre, might as well change speakers now and then get pre2'ed when you're ready. fwiw, I pulled my meid sticker and swapped it over with the com board for the franken and I just checked and the meid on the sticker is the same as the one reported by my pre2 in the device info
    So based on the pictures I found here to refresh my memory. It looks like I could just swap the whole back panel between my Pre and Pre+ rather than swapping just the speakers individually? Correct? Wonder which would be easier, hmmm...
    Yes for the big back speaker you can just swap the whole bezel and be done with it. Boths ways are not that bad. Hope you get it fixed as I went two months w/out mine working last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by humblepie View Post
    I think it is due to the number of Android phones. The forums are active, just spread over many many more devices and topics. Which definitely makes it painful to get answers.

I'll be pestering the SGS2 E4GT forums from tomorrow.
    And I understood that, but that doesn't take the pain away
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12