Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By runtimmyc
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I need a global phone and I'd love to be able to run a messenger program and skype on my phone. I do a lot of international traveling and my son is in South Africa for the next two years and has a Blackberry there. We don't have bbm (nor does anyone non-Blackberry) and whatsapp works for everything EXCEPT webos.

I LOVE my pre plus. The pre3 would have been perfect. We all know what happened.

Went to Verizon in defeat yesterday to upgrade to a phone that I could do what I needed with.

1) Those other phones are HUGE! Why would I want a laptop in my pocket? There are small android phones. Verizon doesn't carry them. iPhone is smallest and it's still way too big. Grumble.

2) The rep told me I'd be crazy to switch phones. I'd lose my unlimited data. I'd lose my hotspot. Can't even tether (I thought I just lost the ability to connect those 5 other phones - but you can't even connect your own laptop.)

3) No, they won't let me go to the Pre 2 and keep everything - he wasn't even sure how or if I could get a Pre 2.

So he told me to keep my phone. I have an older global phone. For $10 I can put it on my account without contract when I leave the country and turn it off when I get back.

I left happier with the pre+ then I've been for a while.

Wow, a rep not trying to move me over to the dark side.

But boy, I wish we had more apps. I'd do a lot for Words with Friends and Whatsapp.
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    You get to keep unlimited data on an upgrade. (Grandfathered in.) You lose free 5GB mobile hotspot, but freetether fills that gap nicely. Verizon still offers the Pre2.
    You get to keep unlimited data on an upgrade. (Grandfathered in.) You lose free 5GB mobile hotspot, but freetether fills that gap nicely. Verizon still offers the Pre2.
    Yup... That "salesman" is trying to convince you to open a new line for no reason.. You can do it*all on the Verizon website, if they won't do it for you in store.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    You would be very happy with the Pre2. They were $4.99 to upgrade at one point. If they can't get you one, it would be worth grabbing one from ebay, IMHO.
    here is what you need to do.

buy a Pre2 off of ebay for around 150 bucks. It doesn't matter if it is gsm unlocked or verizon branded.

perform the frankenpre surgery, both hardware and software. You will now have a fully functional pre2 on verizon without having to activate a new phone and therefore will keep your free teethering and unlimited data because verizon's system will still see your phone as a pre+.

if you are uneasy about doing this yourself, there are services that would do the surgery for you for a fee.
    daffy4u likes this.
    I bought a Pre2 a few months ago with the Idea that when my Pre+ gets too bad I would do the frankenpre and keep my mobile hot spot.

Still hoping Verizon will release the Pre3.....
    Quote Originally Posted by nxd10 View Post
    I have an older global phone. For $10 I can put it on my account without contract when I leave the country and turn it off when I get back.
    Is the older phone a smartphone? Once you switch off the unlimited data for a non-smartphone, you can't go back to it.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I will see what happens if I try to update to a Pre 2 online. He definitely told me I would lose the unlimited and the hotspot. If freetether works, great. Never used it as hotspot came out the same time as it did. Thank you.

The idea was not to replace my pre plus with the older phone. It was to add a $10 line for the time I'm out of the country. No hardware charge, just add the line and cancel when I get back.

Last time I was out of the country (Brazil), there was a 6 hour period when I bricked my laptop, couldn't communicate with anyone, and had serious worries that I might be kidnapped with no way to tell anyone where I was being taken or any information. No joke. SO $10 for the ability to communicate in a pinch? No problem. I travel overseas a lot.

I have been reading if I mess around and upgrade to webos 2.whatever I can use google chat. I just need a way to send texts overseas for free.