1.    #1  
    Okies, i got a unlocked pre 2 off ebay and also a T-Mo prepaid $50/mo plan.

Now My pre is still running okay but shows sign of malfunction. I would like to turn it into a wifi only device and keep using it.

The questions are:

1. how do I do that? Should I just permanently turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi? Will termination of sprint service brick my pre?

2. can I actually have both pre and pre 2 sharing same palm profile at the same time?

Ideas?
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    No service cancellation will not brick your pre, yes to turning on Airplane mode and then Wifi, just don't wipe it. As for the 2 devices running the same profile, I don't know the answer to that one but I'm sure someone on there does.
    I just switched to a Pre 2 also and want to let me son use my old Pre as a MP3/game device but when I activated my new phone the old one logged off my palm account and is now trying to reactivate. How do I get around the Sprint activation? I'm afraid that if I let it try to reactivate that it will cancel my new phone's activation. Any suggestions.
    I have a similar question to yancem's. My old (webos 2.1) pre+ is now stuck flashing the hp logo. Powering off has no effect. How can I get it going without putting my new phone at risk?
    It appears I need to figure out how to turn the wifi on so that I can create a new palm profile but I can't access anything. I looked at other threads and have seen some links to a way to bypass the profile sign in but I can't seem to get the links to work. Anyone have an updated link?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    There is a setting in meta-doctor where you can bypass activation.
    I'd love to be able to still use the App Catalog with my now de-activated Pre-. I just leave it in Airplane mode and turn wifi on when needed. I'd like to be able to purchase games and other apps for my kids. I have a TouchPad and have my profile linked to that. Seems HP is missing out on sales by not allowing us to still access the App Cat via wifi.
    Wow I was just about to start a new thread on this exact topic!

I will shortly be moving over to Android (not much else to choose from).

I am currently using a Pre- from Sprint.

As with the questions above, what are the steps we need to take?

I had just recently replaced my Pre- (the screen cracked), about a month ago, had to pay the $100 insurance deductible which hurt because I knew I was moving to something different but wasn't ready at the time. So now I have a brand new Pre-!

Being a WebOS fan and the fact that my new phone will be one of the larger ones, I would like to keep the Pre in service but on through wifi, as do the others here.

Oh, I need to explain this...

When my Pre's screen cracked I was going on a trip and they could not get me a replacement in time, so I had Sprint re-activate my Palm Treo 650.

After getting back from my trip and getting my replacement Pre, when I turned on my Pre before it got back to being activated, no apps showed up in my launcher?

So please verify if this is what happens when you turn on a Pre that is not activated, that you don't have access to the apps on your phone, never might being able to reach the App Catalog?

Are you guys saying the steps are to put your phone in airplane mode, then turn it off, and when it comes back on, you switch to wifi?

Wasn't there a Homebrew apps that allowed you to use your Pre if you were a developer without having any cellphone service?

I'm just trying to understand the sequence of how to do things, because of what happened to me.

It would be nice if there was an app that just set this all up for you permanently.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Oh just read the post about the meta-doctor, how do we do that.. I do think there was an app for this purpose?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Ok, looks like for people like me, having a Pre- and not a Pre2, need to use Palm Activation Bypass Tool.

It's an app or script that makes an adjustment so that it will launch with being activated.

I did a screen in the thread for the answer.

Hope this helps others.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Someone more technically astute than me can tell you the steps & how to bypass activation. I was able to do it with my PrePlus when I upgraded to the Pre2.

I understand that you can't have 2 Palm phones on the same profile. So in my case my profile transferred over to the Pre2 and the Plus was without a profile (and the previously bought apps on that profile). This may not apply to you if you are not getting another Palm phone. Maybe your existing Profile will still stay on the old phone. I chose to wipe it, bypass activation, then use wifi to establish a second (different) Palm profile. It works well downloading free apps from the Palm/HP catalog and Preware. I figure if I have to re-buy any apps it is worth it. They aren't too expensive and the developers deserve the ducats.

Now my old PrePlus is a great secondary wifi device. I think I'll call it "Chumby"!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    the solution is easy. Use the bypass utility and instructions here:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

then get the first use patches from preware so you can log in to your profile
    i used the bypass activation tool and have the first use app but I'm unable to create a new profile via wifi. What am I missing?
    got it, if anyone else has trouble try the patch herehttp://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2779549
    Ta Da!!!!! I finally got it to work. It took me a little while and I had to search through several threads to figure out all of the details but I was able to bypass the activation, turn on wifi, set the phone to developer mode, download Preware, download "show first use app", download Luna Manger and use the first use app to create a new palm profile. So for anyone out there still struggling here are some links to solutions that helped me:

[Well, I tried to post the links but apparently you have to had posted 10 times before you can post links. What is up with that? So here are some key words to search for: How to Use Preware; Webos Quick Install]

One of the things that threw me was "restart Luna" which was in some set of instructions. The last link discusses what Luna is and tells how to install Luna Manger. This was necessary to get the first use app to actually appear.

Anyway good luck and thanks to those who helped.

PS - Now if I can just figure out why the music folder is empty in USB mode but full of music when I launch the app! I don't think that my 7 year old son need to be listening to 2 Pac.