Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I recently did a FrankenPre 2 conversion from my old Pre. I would like to use the old Pre as WiFi only. I want to create a new profile without losing all the data and apps on the phone. The Pre 2 is now active on my old profile and I'm told that if I turn on WiFi on the old Pre that it will get wiped because two devices can't use the same profile. Is there any way to create a new profile on the Pre without losing everything? I've tried searching the forums without any luck.
    I'm pretty sure I saw @jaycanuck on Twitter refer to how to do this within the last week. It may have involved impostah but don't quote me. You can ask him here or on Twitter. He has a developer section here for canuck coding. He is really nice and will respond.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I looked up Impostah, but it is only for WebOS 2.0 devices. I'm trying to save my 1.4.5 palm Pre from being wiped. I'm thinking if there was a way to reinitialize the first use and create a new profile without wiping the phone, then I would be set. It sounds like I may be stuck just using it as a fancy MP3 player if someone doesn't have any other suggestions.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I too have my pre set up the way I like it and would prefer not to wipe it. I am thinking about moving to a veer as my main phone.

I wonder if putting null entries in the hosts file for palmws.com would prevent the wipe? This:

Palm Profile Interactions - WebOS Internals

suggests that that there is interaction with that site and the phone.

I also found this interesting about disabling uploadd and contextupload:
    pre
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Ué... using the option "Remove from my account" in palm.com/profile cannot solve this?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Ué... using the option "Remove from my account" in palm.com/profile cannot solve this?

Best Regards...
    I thought that will cause the device to be erased as soon as it gets an internet connection?

Maybe not, but afraid to try! It says:
    "You will be signed off from the device and data on the device may be lost. You will not be able to use certain features on the device until you sign in again. If you would like to erase the contents on the device without removing it from your webOS account, use the full erase feature on the device. "
    Where I understand, only leave your Pre without access to Palm Profile and AppCatalog, but I don't know if you can log with other account AND still maintain all this data...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I don't think that would help. My Palm profile only lists the Pre as if it were running 2.1.0. If I remove it then I lose access from the Franken Pre 2 and it probably gets wiped. Not something I would be willing to try. There's got to be another option.