Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm not thinking straight so it's hard for me to find a thread that deals with this - though I have to assume it's come up in the past.

Over the weekend I managed to find and buy a Veer on AT&T. I activated the phone and logged into my profile. At that moment my old Sprint Pre was logged out of the network and restarted. Right now it's asking me to log in to my profile, which I think means the phone got wiped.

I've tried connecting to it with metaDoctor, but it doesn't appear to have dev move turned on (it was on before the reset).

I need to get into the phone to see if I can get the data off it. Preware's backup/restore was not installed, so that's not an option. I was using the palm profile backup, but that appears to lack a restore option...

If webOS didn't completely wipe out the storage on the phone and I can get to a shell prompt I can probably take it from there.

Oh, and this might be relevant - the two year old phone has a broken power button. If there's a workaround that requires it to work I'd be willing to bust open the phone and poke the button if I have to.

Yes, I'm desperate and a little ****ed that the phone would be this non-functional without a carrier behind it. I wanted to use it as a testing device, but am getting discouraged based on this experience.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    After much hacking and gnashing of teeth I can say that, no, I didn't lose my data. Specifically I've booted the device into recovery mode and started the device with the doctor's installer boot image. The abridged explanation is here:
    Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

Which is a cold comfort at the moment as I try to figure out how to get the data off the actual device.

Alternatively I'm considering running the Activation Bypass tool from HP, but don't know if that'll wipe the drive. That's my next rabbit hole to go down if I can't get eth0 up and configured.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    And now I can end my forum monologue by confirming that I was able to get the files off the phone. Not saying everyone gets to be so lucky, but here are the highlights:

After booting the phone with nova-installer-image-castle.uImage, I was able to connect using novaterm and mount the media drive with this:
    Code:
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    mount /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal
    At that point I could use novacom's native file transfer to grab files from the filesystem. For example, from the host OS (Ubuntu, FYI):
    Code:
    novacom get file://media/internal/wallpapers/13.jpg >~/wallpaper.jpg
    To get a user-installed wallpaper.

For the really important directory, the photos, I had to tar up the "dcim" directory on the device:
    Code:
    cd /media/internal
    tar -czvf pics.tar.gz dcim
    and once that was done, grab the file using novacom.

Of course, all of this could be moot because after that I used the Activation-Bypass tool and the internal drive was untouched. But if you're super-paranoid about mucking with the device before getting the really important files; at least know that there's a way to get the stuff off beforehand.