Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering... for those of us with a Pre, esp a Pre-, esp a launch day Pre- limping along with crutches and bandages and have refused to quit until Pre 3... when will you finally retire the old friend?
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I REALLY like my Pre Plus and I was looking forward to a Pre3. I think I'll still get one if it comes to VzW.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Just wondering... for those of us with a Pre, esp a Pre-, esp a launch day Pre- limping along with crutches and bandages and have refused to quit until Pre 3... when will you finally retire the old friend?
    Not a moment sooner than I am forced to.
    I still love my Pre- and was looking forward to the Pre 3. But I'm gonna have to upgrade to something eventually.
    After 2 years, 2 months, and a dozen failed Pres, I accepted an HP EVO Shift (the phone with the best durability and repair record) as a replacement and have been steadily learning Android.

I'm getting used to the extra steps to do stuff. The simple elegance of WebOS isn't quite there. And, it is ridiculously difficult in comparison to WebOS or iOS, to root and customize one of these things, and not even possible for all models (mine in particular) so I am running stock (not too terrible with an 800Mhz processor), but I hate paying $30 a month just to tether, and there are no effective, non-root tether programs for the iPad.

But, it runs. It makes calls. It is up more than it is down (something I couldn't always say for the Pre). And, when someone says "there's an app for that," I can actually get it. And my battery life is actually pretty good.

As a Sprint customer, I felt genuinely abused by Palm and HP for passing over Sprint for subsequent phones. I never planned to leave Sprint, so I expected to have to leave WebOS. But, I never wanted to see the whole sha-bang fail.

Hopefully, it will be preserved for years, the way the Apple Newton was preserved. By perseverance on the part of true-believers.

Best to all.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 08/20/2011 at 09:26 AM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    slim210 likes this.
    I still love my FrankenPre 2, but it's not doing the best right now. If I could somehow get my hands on a Pre 3, I'd be happy for a long while.
    Sprint Love
    My Pre and Pre Plus already retired a short while ago... Now my Veer, it's still in active duty until something happens.
    I have been sitting on an upgrade for nearly a year. I'll start looking at what's out there. I was holding on waiting, so I guess its a slight blessing, I'll be out of phone limbo
    Still with my launch-day pre-. The only drawback is the wearing on the battery, but i'm going to get a new one, so i think i will be using the phone until it ceases to work, and this seems this will be several years.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I purchased an Evo from a lady at work for $65. She only used it for a week so I figured I have nothing to lose trying android off contract for 65 bucks, if I don't like it, I can sell it on Craigslist for like 200. Angry/sad to see our beloved webOS thrown out to thr curb. It was a sad day yesterday.
    When the Pre 3 that I will order from the UK arrives. The only thing holding me back temporarily is the potential for a price drop.
    until it dies, which may not be far away, my "c" key sometimes doesn't respond anymore.

Now i worry about the palm profile which maybe dead when HP shut down the server.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    After reading the writing on the wall last month, I begrudgingly made the move to the Evo 4G. As others have said, it takes some getting used to extra steps to do what the Pre did so elegantly but, the apps are amazing. I no longer am embarrassed that all my friends and colleagues are able to do stuff I could not.

I am shocked and saddened by the announcement about WebOS. I had hoped to return when the Pre3 was widely available. Now, I am stuck with android.

My original Pre will be saved, along with my collection of Treos, as a testament to the elegance of Palm's creations.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw911 View Post
    After reading the writing on the wall last month, I begrudgingly made the move to the Evo 4G. As others have said, it takes some getting used to extra steps to do what the Pre did so elegantly but, the apps are amazing. I no longer am embarrassed that all my friends and colleagues are able to do stuff I could not.

I am shocked and saddened by the announcement about WebOS. I had hoped to return when the Pre3 was widely available. Now, I am stuck with android.

My original Pre will be saved, along with my collection of Treos, as a testament to the elegance of Palm's creations.
    Ditto, except I got the Motorola Photon.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I too had an original Pre on Sprint with the cracked glass getting worse. Unfortunately, i too just ordered a Motorola Photon. Been a Palm fan since the Palm Pilot days. Someone might revive it but I honestly think that a great company name PALM not HP just died for all the faithful. Good Luck to all and see you on the Android site.
    Not soon enough. Between my touchscreen occasionally going berserk and my headphone jack issues, it's time to put this thing away. Unfortunately this is such a bad time for my phone to be failing since new tech is months away and the old tech doesn't really interest me. I'm torn between WP7 and iOS. I can't feel comfortable getting a phone based on an OS run by an internet ad company.
    My launch month Pre is fine, not limping at all and thanks to WebOS Internals and the Homebrew community it is overclocked/patched and meets my needs nicely. I am hoping to buy a Pre 3 and leave Sprint and go to a month to month plan on at&t.
    My Palm Pre is still in new condition. I'm running 1.4.5 overclocked and patched. I use my phone mostly for calling, e-mail, calenday sync and facebook.

Since HP has given up on WebOS, I doubt we'll see any newer apps. My Pre should last for awhile, until I decide which way to go; iOS or Android, not sure yet.

Even if a newer device was released, the Devs have pretty much been scared away. Who is going to want to develop apps for a dead OS?

I'm so bummed right now!
    jhoff80 likes this.
    My Pre- (Sept '09) is still hanging in there. My wife is using it for her daily phone. I upgraded to a FrankenPre2 on Sprint, which I really like.
    I will keep using my Pre 2 till I find a phone that wows me or it breaks. I have yet to see a phone of interest. Android has a ways to go still & apple is apple. WP7 has some neat features, but nothing phenomenal.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast