Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Still using my Pre (2nd one - replaced 1st in May 2010 due to busted screen). Was hoping to jump up to the Pre3. Nothing else on the market has a better UI or better integration of daily apps than webOS.

I might look at the iPhone 5 when it comes out with iOS 5 (which is showing some more webOS-like features). Until that day comes to look and consider, I'm sticking with my Pre.
    My second Pre- decided to fall apart today, literally. I have a rubber band around it to keep it together. Must have fallen on the floor one too many times. I've been to the Sprint store, but the only phone that interests me is the Evo, not the 3D. I have no interest in going to another carrier, you can't beat less than $60 a month for unlimited everything & Sprint Navigation. I have 450 minutes, but I rarely call a land line & vice versa.

So I need your opinions. Should I

A) keep buying used Pre- from Ebay until there are no more (and have my friends continue laughing at me because they think I have the last Pre- in America? Actually I really don't care)

B) Sprintify a Pre2

C) Go to an Android phone & hope I can find some type of app that will allow me to use it like a Pre? I heard there is a task switcher that might make Android palatable. I really hate Android.

D) Wait till the Iphone 5 shows up on Sprint

E) Wait to see of Samsung comes through for us...

All comments & suggestions are welcome. Now I'm really desperate for a new phone.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Just got a Photon to replace my Pre-. Some of the keys werent registering keypress on the first attempt and the clock randomly goes way out of whack, which ****s up time stamps on texts/calendar events.

Photon though is 100 times faster than the Pre, but is way less elegant and refined. I'll stick with this for the sheer number of apps available for now.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just retired my Pre yesterday. It was a sad day. It was a day 1 Pre and was still working fine, other than the USB crack and the ringer switch shorting out, but I was afraid it wouldn't last until any possible new WebOS phone came out. But the Evo Shift was free at Best Buy, so I went ahead and upgraded. It's a good phone, but it's not my Pre. Hopefully HP will license out WebOS and somebody will put a new phone out there within the year. I'll buy it even if I haven't hit my upgrade yet.
    Absolutely done with the Pre. It has served its purpose. I have a Motorola Photon 4G now and loving it
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    got a pre2 during the ruckus these past 2 weeks to carry me over from my pre plus until my verizon contract is up at the end of january. then I may jump to wp7, even carriers if I have to. unless webos survives somehow.

my preplus is fading fast, parcel better get here soon!
    I will run my Pre into the ground only because here in Canada on Bell it gets you unlimited data.

That is just something I have gotten too used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I will run my Pre into the ground only because here in Canada on Bell it gets you unlimited data.

Same boat here. I'm tethered 5 days/week average 10 hours/day since I got my Touchpad. Last month's data "total" was 40GB, and I'm up to a whopping 16GB halfway through this month. I'll trade off a decent phone for unlimited TouchPad use, anyway. If it didn't kill the phone battery so badly, I'd be tempted to let freeTether run 24/7, just to see what a full month's "data" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

You can continue with your unlimited plan if you get a hardware upgrade. I already asked a Bell Customer service person. You just have to extend it another 3 years... that is, if you had an initial three year contract.
    I just doctored my Pre- and put the Harrier kernal on it. Wow, what a difference! I'm almost considering not doing the hardware upgrade for a while now. The thing is really snappy now. I do have a usb crack as well but not really noticeable.
    I'm taking two routes. First, getting a Nexus S 4G for myself and picking up a cheap off contract Pixi+ for my WebOS fix. I'm heavily invested in Google Cloud so a Google backed phone with bleeding edge Android will be OK-ish. And second, buying bad esn or broken Pre- phones to hack together into a working Pre- for my wife.

My eventual hope is that WebOS becomes a commodity OS running on several different manufacturers OR that Google Android gets synergy, cards, and notifications from WebOS (and decent replacements for their messaging and email apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You can continue with your unlimited plan if you get a hardware upgrade. I already asked a Bell Customer service person. You just have to extend it another 3 years... that is, if you had an initial three year contract.
    I dont have an unlimited plan, I have 100mb/month,.

There is a glitch in the CDMA Pre that makes it not count data usag correctly.

Used 16 gigs this month, bell says I used 20mb.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I am gonna have to do something quickly. About 25% of the time, my Pre- won't even charge via the USB. Touchstone works ok, but I live on the road & normally take my USB w/me; furthermore, the battery is showing signs of death as it will drop from 30% to 0% in a heartbeat. This has all started happening in the last week or so... :-(
    My Pre "classic" is working fine so far. Probably just jinxed myself. It's actually a warranty replacement. But has been encased in a GRT case since acquisition as well as a skin it back cover protector and I resurrected some screen protectors from my retired Palm T3 so the screen is still pristine. Even still have the usb door and the power button works fine! The paint has worn off the face button but not the ear piece. except for a few indentations from my ferrets' attempts to use the Pre its in darn good shape! So looks like I'll use it until my contract expires in Feb 2012 - then I'll likely move to a W7 phone. That is unless some company has rescued WEb OS from HP. HAve lately been toying with the idea of doing a Franken Pre to be able to continue with an improved Pre. We'll see.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    got both pre2 and veer, I put veer on a prepaid plan without data, its great as a music player and for going to the beach etc, where I won't be checking data.
    I gave mine new life by converting it to a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. I was on my 7th Pre when I did this, back in May of this year (2011). It's starting to be a little laggy and buggy but nothing I can't deal with. I'll use it till I can't use it no mo and when that time comes, I'll see where webOS is at and if there are no good options, I'll be looking at Android and maybe WP8. Hopefully Android is legit by then, as Matias Duarte will have had a huge hand in development by that point. I'm even excited for Ice Cream Sandwich's possibilities because I know he had a lot to do with the design and features.
    got a pre-, right before the launch of pre+...
    At least keep it until I can find spare battaries for my pre3....
    Just pre-ordered a Samsung Epic 4G Touch!!...Its $199 from Sprint but if you order through Wirefly.com its only $149!!...And if you order through the Bank of America Add It Up program thats an additional $50 off!!!...Could not beat this deal an Epic 4G Touch for $100

The Samsung launches next Sunday so i should have it within 2 weeks at the most and after that its good night to the old Pre- and good morning Android!

Hopefully i can get a TouchPad for $99 when HP continues the firesale so I can do my part to keep the webOS Zombie ALIVE
    I hope to keep mine going for a long time. but the crack is getting worse. I have a second but it was my wifes and hers is in worse shape
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I've been rockin a Franken Pre 2 since March, and honestly, this phone is good enough to hold me over for at least another year, if not more. Hardware wise, it's great (no oreo, or any other issues plagued by the Pre-), battery life is great, and webOS just works great on the Pre 2.

However, given the current uncertainty of the webOS, and a new iPhone that's more than likely hitting Sprint; I may be tempted to upgrade to the iPhone 5 before the year is out. Only time will tell; in the mean time I'll continue to enjoy my Franken Pre 2 until it no longer functions, or until I'm bored with it (which ever comes first).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast