Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    This isnt going to be a bash Android thread. I actully really like Android (Evo4g) But honestly I got a little burnt out on the whole "apps" thing… I just wanted a phone… and the TERRIBLE battery life was getting old too.

Anyhow I just picked up a Sprint Pre on CL for $60 w/Touchstone. Its in Great shape! I was really surprised.

My first impressions are… I am not overwhelmed by excitement… but I am happy. imo the Pre is nowhere near what the iPhone and Android phones are. I think the Pre probably competes better with BBs and phones like that.

I think I have everything set up to my liking. I like the way the phone functions, everythng seams to just work.

Are there any MUST have apps?

I think I will miss the Google apps the most, Google Listen (podcasts), Google Translate, also the camera apps on Android were fun.
    first, get preware so you can install uberkernel/govnah and double your clock speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    first, get preware so you can install uberkernel/govnah and double your clock speed.
    +100
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    +100
    please excuse the newbieness but could you guys maybe point me to more information on said software?

in the meantime, is there a good weather and podcasting app?
    DrPodder is a great podcasting app.
    First get preware and then proceed to customize the phone with homebrew patches and apps so that it works the way YOU want it.

Get top bar patches to add date and time, battery percentage, option to turn on and off roaming, bluetooth, data connection etc.
    Get launcher patches to change the default number of pages, use names for pages categorize apps, change number of apps per line (from the default 3).
    Install themes, change the look and feel of the phone.
    Install freetether to get hotspot functionality (although it is a battery hog).
    Make changes to email and default behavior of certain features.

Enable advanced gestures so that you can do a full swipe at the gesture bar and change between active apps without going into the other view.

As mentioned before, dr. podder is an excellent app. Other good apps will depend on what you need them to do. For weather I like weather dashboard, it is an excellent app. The touchpad version is showcased here

App Giveaway: 100 Copies of Weather Dashboard HD | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Phone version is very similar.
    do a search for webos quickinstall. that is where everything starts...

1) download webosquickinstall
    2) put your phone into developer mode by typing in webos20090606
    3) use webosquickinstall to download preware
    As far as a weather program, there is a good - free - app for the TouchPad in the app catalog called "WeatherBug".

Otherwise, the great thing about the device it that the browser is fast. I use the weatherbug app, but most times, I just use the browser where I have weather.com bookmarked. You can bookmark your favorite weather sites and use them, or the stand-alone app.
    You might want to update (meta-doctor) to webOS 2.x it's much better than 1.4.5.
    don't do it..stay with 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    You might want to update (meta-doctor) to webOS 2.x it's much better than 1.4.5.
    They might want to wait a little before tackling the upgrade to webOS 2, but I agree that when used with overclocking it is better than 1.4.5. I certainly would not go back.
  12.    #12  
    I probably wont be doing and major mods… I will only be a temporary user until either the iPhone or the next webOS device(if in enjoy my Pre experience) is available on Sprint.

Ive just installed Preware, I love all the Patches! is there anything to be concerned about when trying them out? or can I just try'um and delete um' ? I would like to overclock, but if there is one thing I learned while using Android, The faster your processor the shorter your battery life. I think my Pre is acceptably quick now… Will OCing really make much of a difference?
    After my Pre- returned from service (ghost touch was repaired, yay) I stayed with 1.4.5. I just felt like it was not worth it. With 1.4.5 the Pre felt so extremely snappy
    Quote Originally Posted by m.parker View Post
    I probably wont be doing and major mods… I will only be a temporary user until either the iPhone or the next webOS device(if in enjoy my Pre experience) is available on Sprint.

Ive just installed Preware, I love all the Patches! is there anything to be concerned about when trying them out? or can I just try'um and delete um' ? I would like to overclock, but if there is one thing I learned while using Android, The faster your processor the shorter your battery life. I think my Pre is acceptably quick now… Will OCing really make much of a difference?
    some patches conflict with others, so it's best to use the mixes that group together working combinations.

also, you should install the save/restore app from preware, so you can back up your patches and app data.

My experience was that overclocking 1.4.5 had no appreciable affect on battery life but a huge improvement in user experience.
    preware is required
    I've used different overclocking configurations on my pre and even though some affect battery life a bit more than the others, the result doesn't change much from.... bad, sorry, AWFUL battery life. I know it's an old device but be prepared before you buy one.
  18.    #18  
    Well after using the Palm for about a week I think I am going to go back to the Evo.

I loved the WebOS, but the 8mp camera, HUGE screen, desktop like web browsing of the Evo spoiled me…

I do have to say I am excited to see what the next webOS device on Sprint will bring to the table… !!

btw. as soon as I get 50 post I plan on listing my very good condition Pre..
  19.    #19  
    This isnt going to be a bash Android thread. I actully really like Android (Evo4g) But honestly I got a little burnt out on the whole "apps" thing… I just wanted a phone… and the TERRIBLE battery life was getting old too.

Anyhow I just picked up a Sprint Pre on CL for $60 w/Touchstone. Its in Great shape! I was really surprised.

My first impressions are… I am not overwhelmed by excitement… but I am happy. imo the Pre is nowhere near what the iPhone and Android phones are. I think the Pre probably competes better with BBs and phones like that.

I think I have everything set up to my liking. I like the way the phone functions, everythng seams to just work.

Are there any MUST have apps?

I think I will miss the Google apps the most, Google Listen (podcasts), Google Translate, also the camera apps on Android were fun.
    Im a long long time Palm user and I can tell you. That since HP purchased Palm things have gone down hill. In fact HP just announced they are officially out of the smartphone business. That means there is no more support. If I were you I would just ROOT the Android phone and go over to Android Central and learn which hacks/roms they use to increase battery life