1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I stumbled on this site and it's full of great info.

Anyhow long story short I am a android user and I am getting tired of crappy battery life and the whole "apps" thing is getting old. I want to get a phone that handles messaging flawlessly; enter, Palm Pre!

Just looking for some tips on buying a used Pre.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    check the slider make sure its not loose. Keyboard, make sure all keys works. All the external button specially the power its been know to brake easy. If the USB cover is off its no biggie, actually a positive in my opinion.
    if you can check the WiFi its rare but my gf had hers go out. Also look around the edge of where the screen and slider meet to make sure there is not a big gap. Some early pres def had that and its not too pleasant when you could see the insides of you pre haha.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Buy a pre2 or Veer
  4.    #4  
    I am a sprint user... The pre or pixi for my budget best.

Will the Pre power on and function without being "activated"?

Last edited by m.parker; 08/12/2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.parker View Post

Will the Pre power on and function without being "activated"?
    Welcome fellow Sprinter!

The short answer to your question is no.

Usually when you get a Pre, even used, the previous owner, if they're smart, well do a full erase of the phone first to get rid of their personal data and set the phone software back to it's original factory "fresh out of the box" state.

This means that when you power on the phone, it boots straight to the activation app, and won't let you into the phone until it is (re)activated/registered on the Sprint network.

Technically there ARE some ways to hack around this, but once you've already bought a phone, just go ahead and activate it, it avoids any hassle and there's no major reason not to. You can always deactivate it later.

Note: The same idea goes for the Pixi too, which btw is a pretty tough little phone if you expect your phone will take more significant abuse.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/12/2011 at 09:37 AM.
  6.    #6  
    I was concerned about testing the keyboard before buying...

I would like to maybe find one for sale here. It usually seems like enthusiasts take better care of stuff.

Or maybe find a "wife's" phone that has had more purse time than use.

So far I've email about a few locally on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by m.parker View Post
    I was concerned about testing the keyboard before buying...

I would like to maybe find one for sale here. It usually seems like enthusiasts take better care of stuff.

Or maybe find a "wife's" phone that has had more purse time than use.

So far I've email about a few locally on CL.

That might be a good idea to try and buy one through here. You're probably right that those of us here for the most part take care of our Pre's better than average. Try searching or posting in the "Marketplace" section of the forum if you decide to do that.

As for trying the keyboard, you probably still test it to some extent even in the activation app, because it has a screen where you need to enter an email address and password, so you could just test out typing something there.

Also, someone who is selling their Pre but willing to let you hold it first may just wait to do a full erase until after you decide to buy the phone, right before they give it to you, in which case you'd be able to try out more stuff on the phone first.
  8.    #8  
    What is the deal with the power button?

I had someone respond from Craigslist and it looks to be in good shape but they said the power button is messed up but still works.

sometimes the power button gets mushed in such that it doesn't feel clicky like it should, but it you press hard, it still works. Search for it on the forums here, it's usually easy to fix anyway. Most of the time the little springy thing under the button just slid out of place. You can make it even clickier too by adding something else under the button. I did it to one of mine by putting a tiny piece of rubber clipped from a rubber band underneath the button.
    I wouldn't recommend the Pixi-, mainly because it doesn't have Wifi. If you're coming from Android, you'd enjoy the Pre much better. My power button went out recently (my Pre- is 2yrs old) and I fixed it following some directions here. I just put a small piece of thin cardboard in it and it works fine now. It doesn't click, but it works. Also, just opening the slider wakes the screen up too.
  11.    #11  
    The sellers says the button is completely gone, is it the end of the world?

12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Pre+ with a screen that touches itself, and another that has issues with the "A" key only working about 50% of the time. Otherwise, they are both solid, perfect-condition devices.

I'll put them on ebay with full disclosure of these issues soon, but I'm not sure if they're any good to anyone.