Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rigo0523
  • 1 Post By TJB
  1.    #1  
    I own a Sprint Pre- with webOS 1.45 but would love to upgrade to a version of webOS 2+ that will work reliably on my Pre- for another 2 year contract.

Should I wait for the next webOS device to be released on Sprint?
    Or, use my $150 upgrade on a Sprint Android device?

Thanks for your input
    If you are comfortable doing it, You can upgrade your device using this method.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    What jsgraphicart said...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    i upgraded my pre- to 2.1 it was very easy if you have ANY command line/ubuntu experience at all i recommend doing it.

However, i too am considering cashing in my upgrade. Fact is pre- wasnt cutting edge when it came out and almost 3 years later its a kin to the nokia brick.
    2.1 on pre- no good.
    secure and dmglouis like this.
  6.    #6  
    Well, unfortunately I am not that technically proficient. I do appreciate everyone's responses and resource links on PreCentral. You fans are The Best :.)

For now, I will make do with my Pre- until the next webOS device is released on Sprint.
    My Pre - is still in great condition, clocks in at 1GHZ, provides me with 8GB of storage (with 4 GB free).

I run daily backups, Saves & Restores, and have a multimedia library of over 450 pics, 150 songs, 3 videos, and 8 launcher pages with 3 to 4 rows of apps. My Pre- also has a Neon Blue theme with glowing, animated boot screen and syncs perfectly with my business contacts, notes, tasks, calendar, and 4 email accounts.

I honestly believe not many 2nd tier smartphones out there can compete with my Pre-. I mean sure, the Samsung Galaxy 2S, Motorola Photon, HTC EVO 3D, and more are awesome 1st tier devices but it is what it is.

I have been a loyal and patient Sprint customer, with an all data family plan, for over 12 years. And, I still have faith that Sprint will not completely abandon us webOS faithful and eventually release a new line of webOS products. So, all I'm sayin' is if the worse were to happen and HP and Sprint parted ways then like anything else I will just learn to adapt to an Android device. Peace :.)
  7. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Well, unfortunately I am not that technically proficient. I do appreciate everyone's responses and resource links on PreCentral. You fans are The Best :.)

For now, I will make do with my Pre- until the next webOS device is released on Sprint.
    My Pre - is still in great condition, clocks in at 1GHZ, provides me with 8GB of storage (with 4 GB free).

I run daily backups, Saves & Restores, and have a multimedia library of over 450 pics, 150 songs, 3 videos, and 8 launcher pages with 3 to 4 rows of apps. My Pre- also has a Neon Blue theme with glowing, animated boot screen and syncs perfectly with my business contacts, notes, tasks, calendar, and 4 email accounts.

I honestly believe not many 2nd tier smartphones out there can compete with my Pre-. I mean sure, the Samsung Galaxy 2S, Motorola Photon, HTC EVO 3D, and more are awesome 1st tier devices but it is what it is.

I have been a loyal and patient Sprint customer, with an all data family plan, for over 12 years. And, I still have faith that Sprint will not completely abandon us webOS faithful and eventually release a new line of webOS products. So, all I'm sayin' is if the worse were to happen and HP and Sprint parted ways then like anything else I will just learn to adapt to an Android device. Peace :.)
    I am in the exact same spot. My launch day Pre is clocked at 1ghz, I have about 50 patches and have the phone customized to my liking. I have the insurance so when the hardware gets worn I have it replaced.

Question: What would I gain by switching to an EVO or other Android device. Would that gain be worth spending 199 and my upgrade on? Right now I feel the answer to this is NO.

But it is very frustrating not knowing the future of WebOs on Sprint. Whomever is to blame not sure. I cringe to say this but if there is nothing new as far as an update when the Iphone 5 comes out on Sprint, then I am jumping off the WebOs bandwagon. Which is why I have not bought a touchpad yet and will buy and ipad if I go the Iphone 5 route.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, agreed with your similar experience. I too love "pimpin" my Pre. There is no need to rush and replace my Pre- for it has served me well and been my salvation the past 2 years. I keep my Pre- securely housed in a leather case with screen protector, and charge via Touchstone, and USB my personal stuff to my laptop and Box.net. And, my Sprint phone service meets all my personal, business, and family needs too.

So, not much more to gain by switching to an Android device, except a slight learning curve :.)
    -Peace
    -Patience is a Virtue
    -Why fix it if it isn't broke
    -We haven't sprung a leak yet
    -I can see the horizon
    -All I ask is for a tall ship and a star to steer her by
    Last edited by fred1955; 08/10/2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: updated
    Just wondering what you guys ended up doing?

I am on the fence about switching the other way, Evo4g to Pre.

I've been with Android since day one( T-Mobile G1). I like it and all, but battery life is terrible.

Somedays I wish I still had a simple phone like my old razr that would go almost a week without charging.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  10. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Well battery life on any smartphone will not be great. I have heard the EVO is a little worse than most. I carry an extra Pre battery around with me. It cost $8 on Amazon. I don't have to use it most days, but its good to know I have it when I need it.

WebOs is very elegant. I have played with Android phones, my wife has one, but I still feel WebOs is a better OS. I also have an ipod touch and feel WebOs is superior in just about every way other than the lack of apps available.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Well battery life on any smartphone will not be great. I have heard the EVO is a little worse than most. I carry an extra Pre battery around with me. It cost $8 on Amazon. I don't have to use it most days, but its good to know I have it when I need it.

WebOs is very elegant. I have played with Android phones, my wife has one, but I still feel WebOs is a better OS. I also have an ipod touch and feel WebOs is superior in just about every way other than the lack of apps available.
    Yep, my Pre- died, and with an upgrade available, switched to an EVO 3d. It's so clunky and clumsy. You can do just about anything you want, but it takes 25 taps to do it. And every app or widget seems to have its own quirks. I like to mess with my phone, but not every single item. It's never-ending. That said, web browsing on Android is way better, and the dreaded Pre lag is gone. I've exchanged it for 6 more taps instead!
    I'm sticking with webOS on Sprint for at least one more year.

I have a Day 1 Sprint Pre-. I got some help with the upgrade to webOS 2.1. I'm sure you could also get help ... lots of people here who will guide you through the process.

With the latest F105 kernel running at 500MHz/1.005GHz, Screenstate v3, my Pre- is quick, very stable, and has better battery life than when running stock. For a long time I pushed it to 1.1GHz with the F104A kernel. That was noticeably faster, but also less stable and harder on the battery. I'm much happier with the F105 setup.

With my phone patched and tweaked to operate just how I like it, I wouldn't even think about trading it for my daughter's EVO, or for anything else that Sprint currently sells. I'm about to swap my Sprint comm board over to a Pre+. Everything I've read in these Forums says that the extra RAM will provide a bit of a performance boost.

When the Pre3 is finally released, the price will come down on used AT&T Pre2's from people upgrading to Pre3's. I've already lined up a purchase. A Pre- commboard will convert that AT&T Pre2 to work just fine on Sprint.

webOS is just so much better (at least, it is for me) than Android or WM7. My Pre-, then Pre+, then Pre2 (all on Sprint) will be good enough until a year from now. By then, if Sprint doesn't have a new webOS phone, I figure that the other phones will have finished copying the better aspects of webOS and it will be easier to switch.
    - Bubba
    I would at least wait until the second week in Sept. before you do anything....there's reason to believe Sprint will be getting the Pre 3 (along with Verizon and AT&T) around the middle of September. Would be a shame if you jumped ship and then the phone lands...unless you really want an Android device.
    http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...y-hp-pre3.html
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!