Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I have a second hand Pre which is stuck at the create profile screen.
    I want to run WebOS Doctor but in order for me to do that I need to boot in Recovery Mode.
    Unfortunately the Pre has a broken volume rocker (volume ribbon cut in two).
    Any ideas how to boot into Recovery Mode without using the Volume Up key?
    (Or to get past the create profile screen without going into recovery mode.)
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by peppermonkey View Post
    I want to run WebOS Doctor but in order for me to do that I need to boot in Recovery Mode.
    Thanks.
    Use the X key instead

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3.    #3  
    You mean press the x key on the keyboard instead of the up key?
    i.e.
    1) remove usb and battery from pre
    2) while holding down x insert usb
    3) insert battery
    4) immediately release x

If that's the case, it didn't go into recovery mode and went straight to the create profile screen... or am I doing something wrong?
    You mean press the x key on the keyboard instead of the up key?
    i.e.
    1) remove usb and battery from pre
    2) while holding down x insert usb
    3) insert battery
    4) immediately release x

If that's the case, it didn't go into recovery mode and went straight to the create profile screen... or am I doing something wrong?
    you don't have to release X, you release it the moment you see the big usb icon (if it ever appears)

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    you don't have to release X, you release it the moment you see the big usb icon (if it ever appears)
    Hmm...nope. Big usb icon never shows up (never seen it), and it boots always straight to the profile sign-in screen.
    And of course neither webOS or devicetool.jar ever finds the device.
    BTW, is that a capital X or small case x?

I guess I'm hooped?
    Hmm...nope. Big usb icon never shows up (never seen it), and it boots always straight to the profile sign-in screen.
    And of course neither webOS or devicetool.jar ever finds the device.
    BTW, is that a capital X or small case x?

I guess I'm hooped?
    Just the x key, no shift :P
    webOS version?

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Just the x key, no shift :P
    webOS version?
    haha, good, haven't tried finger twister with the shift-x yet
    I don't quite remember but before I was dumb enough to wipe out the data I believe it was 1.4.2 (well, 1.4.x I think).
    Thanks.
    1. Create a new profile on this device.
    2. After reboot, input upupdowdownleftrightleftrightbastart to enable dev mode.
    3. Turn off backup and then run webOS doctor.

???
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    on the hp website it says press R
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    2. After reboot, input upupdowdownleftrightleftrightbastart to enable dev mode.
    ???
    I have been busy so sorry for the late reply.
    How do you input directions on the Palm Pre?
    Do you mean do the gestures in the gesture area?
    I have been busy so sorry for the late reply.
    How do you input directions on the Palm Pre?
    Do you mean do the gestures in the gesture area?
    No you type that in the "Just Type" box or type "webos20090606" instead.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
  12.    #12  
    I just wanted to thank you all for all the help.
    I was able to get past the creation profile bit.
    Because the volume keys don't work (volume ribbon was cut) I went looking for a way to do without.
    I have a Linux box available so I just followed the OMAP boot procedure at www webos-internals org /wiki/Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery which solved my problem of getting into Recovery mode. Sorry, not allowed to post url's yet as I don't have enough posts :P
    Very easy and straight forward though not as elegant as if my volume buttons worked
    In any case, gain, thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    No you type that in the "Just Type" box or type "webos20090606" instead.
    This is mere curiosity as the problem is solved but what 'Just Type' box? Unless I'm mistaken, the only field available was the profile creation screens. Assuming I did find this Just Type box, do you mean you type 'upupdowndown...' etc etc?
    The JustType stuff is to allow Developer Mode. It's nothing to do with the actual reboot process. I don't really know why addiarmidar mentioned it in his post, but you asked the question about it and I replied to that.

Glad you got it working.

My published and impending WebOS apps -
    hello, my pre plus volume buttons got cut too and now i can't access recovery mode, i tried grey+symb+u, grey+symb+u, just R and the X, still can't get it into Recovery mode, i even tried with the Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery but had problems at compiling the omap3 drivers... can anyone help me? i'd like to webos doctor it and use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexxero View Post
    hello, my pre plus volume buttons got cut too and now i can't access recovery mode, i tried grey+symb+u, grey+symb+u, just R and the X, still can't get it into Recovery mode, i even tried with the Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery but had problems at compiling the omap3 drivers... can anyone help me? i'd like to webos doctor it and use it...
    first, are you normally able to start up the phone all the way? Or does it stop at something like the profile creation screen like the OP was experiencing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    first, are you normally able to start up the phone all the way? Or does it stop at something like the profile creation screen like the OP was experiencing?
    it starts with the palm logo then a red eye the it loads awhile and after that i receive a Phone Error in Phone Offline mode. The error says: Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. Visit palm support for help...

i managed to run webos doctor with the phone closed, but it gets stuck at 4% and after that it boots up and it interrups the process... my roker up volume button is not working, neither R while booting... i just want to know if i have any chance of fixing it...
    Simple: Use the DevMode, and the PC gonna recognize the Pre.

=> With all apps closed, type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

=> Enable the button and restart the Pre.

=> When the webOS Doctor ask for Pre, just plug and gonna enable the "next" button.

Leave us know the results!

Best Regards... B)
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Simple: Use the DevMode, and the PC gonna recognize the Pre.

=> With all apps closed, type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

=> Enable the button and restart the Pre.

=> When the webOS Doctor ask for Pre, just plug and gonna enable the "next" button.

Leave us know the results!

Best Regards... B)
    thank for the answer but i can't even get to the main screen, all that i have is a cloudy background with the status bar saying phone offline, the clock and battery level, then on the main screen the error, that's all, nothing else i can see or can do. And the error message keeps popping on the screen like a windows or something..
    i found a picture with the error: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PALM-PRE-PLUS-VERIZON-PARTS-REPAIR-SOFTWARE-ERROR-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/$%28KGrHqEOKpoE5,GIuugEBObQI7tmJ!~~60_58.JPG
    so, can anyone help me? or should i change the flex ribbon with the volume button?

come on guys, i just need some guidance.
    my phone won't boot completly in webOS because i get a Phone error message, but if i connect it to the pc and turn it off, windows install Palm novacom (bootie). Is there anything i can do to make it go to Recovery mode from windows or linux?
    just tell me what to do...
    Last edited by alexxero; 03/26/2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast