1.    #1  
    OK, I have posted a theory about this in a different thread, but now I have the reason for why this happens to a 90% guarantee.
    So, lately I have gotten three new phone numbers of people I will talk to on a somewhat regular basis. Now, listen carefully. I can't text them anymore because of the way I started out when I first got their numbers. To avoid having the glitch, you must not text that number prior to storing them as a contact. If you do text them first and then store their number, you will notice that tapping the sms icon doesn't do anything. A doctor is the only solution to this. Now, if you notice that you texted that number prior to storing the contact, and if you're going to be texting that person on a regular basis, DON'T STORE THEIR NUMBER. That is of course if you don't mind doing a doctor to the phone. I did what I'm telling you guys not to do to three new contacts. Now it's a good thing that I really don't care if I text them or not, because with all of the patches and tweaks on my Pre -, I am not Doctoring at all.

Just some advise for you Precentral gurus!
    you can also do an erase on apps and data instead of doctoring. That helped as well
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    you can also do an erase on apps and data instead of doctoring. That helped as well
    Can you explain what you mean by this? What does erasing apps and data have anything to with it? Oh, and what do you mean by erasing data? How does one achieve such a move? And what data are you referring to?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    okay, so that people don't have to doctor al you have to do is go to DEVICE INFO and then at the bottom there's an option that says 'reset options' and then go to ERRASE DATA and APPS. It wil reset all of ur text messages and your intenet data as well as all of your applications which I forgot to back up lol. I couldn't send texts to 10 people in my contacts for some reason so that's what I did and it worked
  5.    #5  
    okay, so that people don't have to doctor al you have to do is go to DEVICE INFO and then at the bottom there's an option that says 'reset options' and then go to ERRASE DATA and APPS. It wil reset all of ur text messages and your intenet data as well as all of your applications which I forgot to back up lol. I couldn't send texts to 10 people in my contacts for some reason so that's what I did and it worked
    Do you recall doing what I said what could have caused the glitch w those 10 people... Texting them before storing them as a contact?
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 08/05/2011 at 06:49 AM.
    no I honestly don't remember. But I'm sure at some poin I tried texting a number not on my contacts and it didn't work either. So it's a mixture of some things or perhaps what you even said is a high possibility.
  7.    #7  
    no I honestly don't remember. But I'm sure at some poin I tried texting a number not on my contacts and it didn't work either. So it's a mixture of some things or perhaps what you even said is a high possibility.
    I've tried to figure this out now for quite some time, and I had the same problem with all three new contacts recently, so it has something to do internally on the Pre where you text the phone number first, and then store them and the Name changeover from the phone number in the text app may have the glitch somewhere in there.
    Could someone explain the process of using the "Erase Data & Apps"?

I'm a nubie w/o preware, but I have this problem & I'm afraid of what I will lose after using that function
    hmm you will only lose your apps and your messages
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    Could someone explain the process of using the "Erase Data & Apps"?

I'm a nubie w/o preware, but I have this problem & I'm afraid of what I will lose after using that function
    go to your laucher flick left to the third page and down to device info

go down to the bottom of the card and tap Reset options

tap Erase Apps & Data

steps for the above mentioned....

i never came across this problem on my legacy device...<--original pre

what i would have done is delete contact and create a new one with a dot after the persons name...just my opinion...don't forget you can call someone without the area code in front of there name...but you can't text someone without it
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    go to your laucher flick left to the third page and down to device info

go down to the bottom of the card and tap Reset options

tap Erase Apps & Data

steps for the above mentioned....

i never came across this problem on my legacy device...<--original pre

what i would have done is delete contact and create a new one with a dot after the persons name...just my opinion...don't forget you can call someone without the area code in front of there name...but you can't text someone without it
    That still doesn't work. It has nothing to do with the contact name. It's the phone number. I've tried your method to no avail.
    same here. It is permanent. No dot no nothing. You have to do an erase on phone.
    So apps aren't backed up to your Palm profile?
    I hoped they would be restored when you sign in to your profile...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    So apps aren't backed up to your Palm profile?
    I hoped they would be restored when you sign in to your profile...
    of course apps are backed up. I believe the poster who said they weren't was because he specifically didn't back it up first
    yeap I didn't back them up so you gotta do it or else you lose them. But once you sign back the apps you bought are still yours, you just gotta look for them and download them again free of charge since you bought them already under ur profile.
    Is there any way to back-up or save the text messages when doing Erase Data & Apps?
    Now experiencing this as well ... but with OLD contacts who now cannot receive my texts (found two so far), so I don't know if it's the same thing.

Not quite ready to reset all of my data and apps yet .... will see if AT&T has a separate answer first.

The only thing that has changed for me recently has been the addition of a TouchPad to my Palm Profile, but I don't see how these two contacts could have been affected (or maybe infected? ;-p) ... thoughts?
    att won't help you. I tried many things and nothing worked. ERASE APPS AND DATA worked perfect. Now if you find a diff way, let us now.
  19.    #19  
    att won't help you. I tried many things and nothing worked. ERASE APPS AND DATA worked perfect. Now if you find a diff way, let us now.
    I gotta be honest man, that was the worst method to do to fix this glitch. I did it last night, and my phone was completely screwed up when i signed back in. No apps were restored from the profile. Now I have to download all of them again. Also, my patches were messed up as well, as the phone left a bunch on there, but when I reinstalled preware, they were not listed, and all I had was problems trying to reinstall them. So now I'm doctoring and that's what I should have done from the very beginning. How could you say that your method is better than a doctor??? At least when you doctor, you get all of you apps back. Your method erases them from the profile so they cannot be restored. I'd rather back up on USB and Dr. the thing. Now I lost all my apps too. This sucks. Did you have patches installed before you did your method, and if so, what happened when you signed back into your profile?? Were they still there?

Sorry for my anger, but I'm really upset that I have to now remember what apps I had (over 100) and patches which always sucks anyway installing and patches were irrelevant from your method anyway. Just very down today as I hope my phone is not screwed up for good. The doctor better work.

Pea soup.
  20.    #20  
    Well it just finished doctoring and now instead of just having to install patches again, I now have to install all of my apps, which I never had to do for the past 2-1/2 years of having a Pre-. I am so frickin agrivated.

FOR ANYONE WITH THIS ISSUE, DO NOT USE THE ERASE APPS AND DATA METHOD TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM. Apparently, without my idiotic brain knowing, it erases the apps from you palm profile so they are gone for good.