Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By longbottle
  1.    #1  
    Just recently, I went to change a ringtone on my (original release) Pre, and I discovered that they no longer play. Moreover, music played in the music app doesn't work, and ringtones of any sort don't play when I receive calls.

This seems suspiciously close in time to having just uninstalled and reinstalled UberKernel, so I have a nagging suspicion that it's related... I'm just not sure how.

I've tried rolling back to the factory Palm kernel, but it didn't help, the problem's still there. It's funky, I thought at first that it might be the well-known issue with the headset jack, but the app close "swoosh" still plays through the speaker, and phone calls (speaker, headset, and pressed-to-face) all are working fine.

I'd like to avoid doctoring the device (I haven't had to since I've had it), so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    So you've checked that your media volume isn't at 0 and system sounds are at 100?

(that will give those symptoms)

Running a Doctor isn't as painful for lack of better word, as it used to be. The USB partition remains untouched and patches can be quickly reinstalled with Save/Restore found in Preware.
  3.    #3  
    The volume settings are all on 100 (I rarely change them). The issue also affects the video and youtube apps, both of those refuse to playback video. I'm guessing since they can't also output audio.

Patches and apps aren't as big a concern as app settings and my SMS/IM logs. I've got a lot of stuff in that that I really don't want to lose, and last I knew, there wasn't a good backup/restore option for them.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  4.    #5  
    That's new since the last time I looked into it, cool!

Now the only thing I risk losing is Tweed. It's been pulled from the app catalog, and even though I have a legal purchased copy, I don't have an IPK to reinstall it from.

Thank you for your insight on this.
    One of the downfalls of a Doctor is losing apps that are no longer available even if you've bought the app. I lost WiFi Media Sync a few Doctors ago. In the name of progress they say
  6.    #7  
    Pre Backup Utility claims to save apps as well as texts, contacts and settings. Since I'm not changing WebOS versions (1.4.5 now, going to Doctor with the same) nor hardware, I figure it's worth a shot to see if I can use that to save it.
    sledge007 likes this.
    There is a way to create an IPK of the program on your phone. I won't go into how that is accomplished but a google search can probably find the instructions for you. Or first, you can contact the program author to ask them for the IPK.

I had the same problem with my phone - although it was present from new - and I couldn't play MP3's most of the time although it could do a some short ones now and then. Also it had problems with video and wouldn't play most of the time. Also affected the camera which wouldn't work. I am sure it was a chip problem and despite two attempts by Palm to fix, they finally gave me a replacement phone.
    Last edited by bigcatny; 08/04/2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: forgot to add something..
  8.    #9  
    I checked that out, thanks for the tip. I may yet be able to save Tweed.

I have ALL of those symptoms... ringtones, MP3 music, youtube, videos, AND the camera all aren't working. But until I tried to change the kernal a couple of days ago, they were fine.
    Look for the Ghastly Headset app on the Pre forums. That might help.
  10.    #11  
    I'll give it a shot (can't hurt), but I'm 99.5% sure it's not an issue with the headset. I've physically cleaned it several times, and haven't used it recently. Moreover, the app close "whoosh" and charging "buh-bing" sounds play through the speaker fine.
    Did you find a solution for your problem apart from doctoring? I have the same problem with a Pre 3.

Thanks
    Max
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    Did you find a solution for your problem apart from doctoring? I have the same problem with a Pre 3.

Thanks
    Max
    No, I ended up having to Doctor it in the end.