1.    #1  
    Keyboard on my original Pre- (never replaced) is starting to have seizures. I have an upgrade available but intend to wait and see what transpires with a WebOS phone on Sprint, and where the Pre3 is going....but I have to survive until then. Seems like if I don't want to use the upgrade, I've got two possibilities:
    1. Frankenpre (have to buy a Pre2, do without the phone for a few days and lose some functionality...plus a lot of problems recently with them)
    2. Get a used Sprint phone off contract and see what happens. Today Cowboom has a used EVO for $179 (Deal of the Day | Electronics Deal of the Day | Daily Deals | CowBoom). I figure since they are affiliated with Best Buy, these are probably in reasonable shape.

I'm thinking I better jump on the Evo to keep around until I finally get fed up with my stuttering keyboard. Other opinions? I assume if I activate it my charges will go up another $10.....
    Frankepre - if you use the comm board from your Sprint Pre-, you avoid the $10 monthly 4g charge. If you activate the Evo, you will pay the $10.

Trust me, life is so, so much better with a Frankenpre (as compared to a Pre-). With help here, you can get most or all of the old software up and running, along with all the new, good stuff.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Agreed. You will be paying another $10 per month if you do anything other than Frankenpre, off-contract or not.

Remember also that you can just do the Frankenpre process with a Pre+ instead of a Pre2 if you'd like. That will be cheaper (I've seen them go for under $60), and you can stay on webOS 1.4.5 if you like, retaining all functionality you had on your original pre, while still getting a performance and reliability boost.

Try first searching particularly for "pre plus bad esn" on ebay, since those are perfect candidates. You can sometimes score a good one of those for close to nothing, if you happen to catch one.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/01/2011 at 03:03 PM.
    I was at a Sprint store playing around with some Android phones today Love the hardware, love all the free apps, hate the UI.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the input. My wife has a Droid, and I've played with it a fair amount, and I have to say I really don't like the UI at all.
    I gather from what was said that I could get a Pre 2 with a bad ESN as well for a Frankenpre? That would probably save some money as well....

Well, there aren't any on Ebay with bad ESN's. That's surprising....
    Last edited by davidra; 08/01/2011 at 05:22 PM.
    1. Frankenpre (have to buy a Pre2, do without the phone for a few days and lose some functionality...plus a lot of problems recently with them)

What have you heard as far as problems with Franken Pre's?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    ... 1. Frankenpre (have to buy a Pre2, do without the phone for a few days and lose some functionality...plus a lot of problems recently with them)...
    I've had a Franken Pre 2 since march without any problems. The only bug I have is using Voice Dial will disable sound notifications until you do a reset; but I think that is a webOS 2.1 issue and not a FrankenPre 2 issue.

You will have to go without a phone a few days if you pay someone to do it, but it's not too difficult to do. I did mine successfully the 1st try. IMO Franken Pre 2 is the way to go. No $10 data charge, your contract stays the same, & you get to enjoy webOS on great hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Thanks for the input. My wife has a Droid, and I've played with it a fair amount, and I have to say I really don't like the UI at all.
    I gather from what was said that I could get a Pre 2 with a bad ESN as well for a Frankenpre? That would probably save some money as well....

Well, there aren't any on Ebay with bad ESN's. That's surprising....
    Yes, you can also try looking for a pre2 with a bad esn as well to save money on one of those. People snap them up really quickly whenever they get listed on ebay (especially the pre2's, fewer for sale in general) so it's not surprising to not find an ideal one at a given moment. Just check again occasionally. Shouldn't be too hard to find a deal on something decent.

Don't necessarily hold out waiting for a bad esn unit though, sometimes they can get bid up pretty close to the same price as the good esn units anyway.
    Franken pre unless there is some app on android you can't live without. It is a great phone, especially with the advanced patches.
    A few weeks ago, I de-activated my Evo and re-activated my pre-. I specifically asked the rep would that $10 charge be taken off since I am disconnecting my Evo, and they said "No, You will still be charged the additional $10 charge for data because it is standard on all smart phones now."

Any suggestions on what to do, if I even can??
    I was thinking of going to EVO but looking at all these post I may consider FrankenPre instead. If I do decide on Franken Pre, how feasible is it to transfer to another carrier, I mean, with transferring the Palm profile and the such?
    i wish i could find a pre2 to frankenize
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    i wish i could find a pre2 to frankenize
    You're not looking very hard. There are a ton on ebay and in the marketplace of these forums.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html