Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    After having my Pre for 18 months, I thought it was running pretty good. Yes, I get the TMC error, a lot, but I've used JStop to help with that.

I am starting to get the TMC more and more and the phone seems really bogged down, even after resets. It may be that I now have my Touchpad, which is blazing fast in comparison.

After looking through the forums, I see multiple programs and kernals used to overclock the Pre. To be honest, I am confused a bit by the selection. I am looking for one that will speed up the phone and stop the TMC errors, without killing my battery.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
    Go into Preware, and download Govnah first, then download Uberkernel. It's the most stable of all kernels, and when you download UK, it will automatically restart your phone. In order to activate the kernel, you will need to open up Govnah and select a Profile. Screenstate 1000/500 is a pretty good one to start out with. If you're not sure what you're doing in Govnah, don't forget about the blue "?" which once you press it, will give you information on anything you push after.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    vza33 likes this.
    i agree with the above poster. that is the easiest way to do it for a beginner.

the only thing i dont like about uberkernel is it doesnt offer the screenstate v2 modification. i have been using the f105 thunderchief kernel. it has a pretty good variety of minimum and maximum speeds and i havent had a single problem with it. my battery life has gotten a lot better since using it too. but otherwise...be careful if you install it and your phone restarts....sometimes itll go to a random speed and you have to go in and make sure its on your preset.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonsocino View Post
    i agree with the above poster. that is the easiest way to do it for a beginner.

the only thing i dont like about uberkernel is it doesnt offer the screenstate v2 modification. i have been using the f105 thunderchief kernel. it has a pretty good variety of minimum and maximum speeds and i havent had a single problem with it. my battery life has gotten a lot better since using it too. but otherwise...be careful if you install it and your phone restarts....sometimes itll go to a random speed and you have to go in and make sure its on your preset.
    I was using UK in my Pre and my wife's Pre but the bug that alphonsocino mentioned got quite annoying. I switched to the f102a Delta Dagger, same features as UK but only has 1 profile so there is nothing else for the govnah to get confused with.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for Ted advice. I installed Govnah with UK using Screenstate 500/1000. I'll see how that runs and tweak it later if I need too. Thanks again.
  6.    #6  
    One question, if I want to switch kernals, do I need to uninstall UK first or can I have UK and F102 installed at the same time?
    no, you have to uninstall UK, then restart ur phone and then install F102. Always do this when you switch kernels. Cool?
    I don't believe that's actually a "bug=, per se. (you should really read the wiki for it: Govnah - WebOS Internals Redmine )

An error happens which causes the device to reset and when it turns back on, it switches to Uberkernel Default (500MHz). I think it does that so you are aware when it's overclocked because you have to manually do it.

another good read: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...berkernel.html
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    no, you have to uninstall UK, then restart ur phone and then install F102. Always do this when you switch kernels. Cool?
    Thanks. I'm a little late to the overclocking game, but I love the performance so far.