Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By parabol1134
  • 1 Post By VCI_Cell
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have an original pre now sitting sadly on its touchstone doing nothing (switched to WP7 Arrive). How would you give new life to an old pre? We made it through screen bleeds, oreo issues, and a few webos doctors together . It kills me to see him like this. Help me bring this little guy back to life!

Thanks
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    use the palm bypass utility and the first use patch to get WiFi access to the apps you already own. It's like having a GameBoy and iPod, but with a keyboard.
  3.    #3  
    Will do. Thank you
    When I dropped my Pre- for an Evo, I thought about selling it on eBay to recoup some of the cost. But I couldn't bear to do it. Never have I been so attached to a device that I couldn't sell it after I upgraded.

I should have seen it as a sign that I'd be back - six months later I bought the Pre2, and a few months after that, I went Veer.

My original Pre is nestled safely in a shelf in my closet, in the original packaging, for the occasional nostalgia trip. Hope you enjoy your repurposed Pre!
    djmcgee likes this.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I need some help. I have a Palm Pre Plus for Verizon that would no longer function as a phone due to hardware issues (I dropped it a couple times). So I bought a Pixi Plus off-contract for $40. However, I enjoyed all the apps on the Pre Plus and foolishly used WiFi to upgrade the WebOS Internals to 1.4.5. After I rebooted the phone it reverted back to the Palm Profile registration step, but without the ability to use WiFi to recover anything...

Is there a simple way to load a WebOS 2.1 ROM so I can at least learn that OS and see what WebOS has in store for me with the Pre3?
    My Pre Classic was my test bed for 2.1 for a while. Now that my Pre Plus is decommissioned, it has taken that spot and Pre Classic is now back to 1.4.5, repackaged in plastic and back in its original box with original manuals and accessories pack.

My Pre Plus now serves as my bedside "tablet".
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I need some help understanding how to load WebOS 2.1 onto the Pre Plus. Is there a basic guide I could follow?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post
    I need some help understanding how to load WebOS 2.1 onto the Pre Plus. Is there a basic guide I could follow?

Thank you.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    When I dropped my Pre- for an Evo, I thought about selling it on eBay to recoup some of the cost. But I couldn't bear to do it. Never have I been so attached to a device that I couldn't sell it after I upgraded.

I should have seen it as a sign that I'd be back - six months later I bought the Pre2, and a few months after that, I went Veer.

My original Pre is nestled safely in a shelf in my closet, in the original packaging, for the occasional nostalgia trip. Hope you enjoy your repurposed Pre!
    I have only had my Nexus S 4G for less than a week. I am having separation issues and I have no plans to get rid of my Pre. Wife still has hers so I can justify holding onto it as an "in place spare".

I already know I will be back.

Maybe HP really isn't worried about losing users because many may come back anyway...
    Dan
    You could use it sort of as a usb wifi adapter for an old PC...

-Put phone in airplane mode since you no longer need/use 3G
    -While in airplane mode, turn just wifi back on, and connect to a network
    -Use Freetether to share that internet connection via USB
    -(you probably need USBnet set up first on both the Pre and the comp you intend to use it on)
    Last edited by sq5; 07/26/2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I too am strangely attached to my pre+. So many years with so many Palm products, through good times and bad but no more. Right now I've repurposed it to "paperweight" and "dust collector" on my bookshelf unless I need an emergency phone until I can get my Thunderbolt replaced. It might lose that job if I find a cheap 3g backup phone like an OG droid.