Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nabril1569
  1.    #1  
    after 2 years of Pre- usage, I finally ask this since I dont think it is posted anywhere.

Is there a key sequence (orange del, whatever) that will delete the character to the right of the current cursor position? LIke the delete key on a real pc keyboard.

I refer, of course, to email, text, whatever typing.

thanks
    dsalonius likes this.
    Just tap on that side and backspace. 2 "buttons". Same as any 'Orange + __' configuration
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Just tap on that side and backspace. 2 "buttons". Same as any 'Orange + __' configuration
    I dont understand your suggestion. I tried Orange + backspace which did not work.

Can you provide some additional info?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  4.    #4  
    right. We all know that we can backspace to delete the character to the left of the cursor. I ask if there is a way to delete to the right.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    No. I am saying "touch the screen on the right side of the character" and then hit "backspace". I am moving the cursor to the RIGHT of what you want to delete and then just delete it.

I submit that that is 2 'pushes' of your fingers. That is the equal amount of 'pushes' that would be required IF there were an "orange + ___" sequence to do what is being asked.
  6.    #6  
    agreed. I wasnt asking to save keystrokes. Sometimes taping on the right spot is difficult, and if your cursor is already there, I would like to delete to the right.

No biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    agreed. I wasnt asking to save keystrokes. Sometimes taping on the right spot is difficult, and if your cursor is already there, I would like to delete to the right.

No biggie.

ahhh.

Hold down the Control (Orange?) key and then slide your finger in the direction you want the cursor to move. You can move your finger ANYWHERE on the screen (so that you can see the word / letter and not cover it with your finger)
  8.    #8  
    wholly cow...thank you...2 years later, and I just learned the way to move the cursor.
    Actually, several people have requested a delete function (deleting the character to the right of the cursor) on these forums. I know because I've posted in all of the threads and even made a patch request!

I know you can accomplish this with two button pushes, but it would really benefit me since I can never seem to tap just right. Dragging the cursor with the orange button is about as unsuccessful for me.

I really think a Orange+Backspace or Gesture+Backspace would be fantastic. I really hoped HP would include this with their next SDK, but I doubt it's happened.

Karla
    ahhh.

Hold down the Control (Orange?) key and then slide your finger in the direction you want the cursor to move. You can move your finger ANYWHERE on the screen (so that you can see the word / letter and not cover it with your finger)
    This one eluded me for quite awhile, as well. Touching the 'space' between two letters can be tricky.
    You seriously have to use both hands to move the cursor?
    I've read through all the threads on this topic and it appears there's no way to do a lot of stuff one-handed that I used to do with my previous pda.
    Are there any patches or homebrew fixes for these kinds of problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    wholly cow...thank you...2 years later, and I just learned the way to move the cursor.
    Me too. Thanks posted

Quote Originally Posted by preturbed View Post
    You seriously have to use both hands to move the cursor?
    I've read through all the threads on this topic and it appears there's no way to do a lot of stuff one-handed that I used to do with my previous pda.
    Are there any patches or homebrew fixes for these kinds of problems?
    It's only an issue sometimes when you need to edit close to the right side of the screen on some applications. Otherwise you just touch to the right of the character and press backspace - easily done with one hand.
    I would still like to see a delete function added as I get frustrated when I can't tap in the correct spot, or when I need to use both hands to move the cursor (and I still move it one space too far most times).

Delete would be beneficial since it can sometimes be difficult to get the cursor at the very beginning or end of a row. Especially when my Pre doesn't allow me to move the cursor to the very beginning or end (it always stops one character short for some reason and won't move any further).

Another complication is when I'm trying to correct a word near the "send" button in Messaging (as rogerstg alluded to above). It's too easy to send the message when trying to tap to the right of the word (to backspace), or even to move the cursor.

Anyway, it seems like such a simple thing to do. Maybe our homebrew guys can implement it in the virtual keyboard.

Karla
    I know Apple is stupid and all but that has got to be the stupidest "feature" of all. No delete button.

The OP's post was obvious. Why post something that doesn't solve the problem.

I'm assuming Apple's crapware doesn't allow you delete forward of where you are. Since you know getting the cursor to go exactly where you want on a small device is juicy at best, that's just terrible.