Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I took my phone in for responsiveness issues with my keyboard and touch screen today. I wasted the requisite hour waiting, left my phone for nearly 3 hours and returned to find it wrapped in a note saying they re-imaged my phone and the issue was resolved.

Upon reloading my phone, I determined that it was, in fact, not resolved. I called Sprint to try to get them to acknowledge a continued issue and just send me a darn phone, like they used to, and I would send mine back in the box. All was going fine until the rep came back and told me that my phone was listed as rooted, and that Sprint says rooting voids the warranty.

First, I have ready many threads on this site and it's been stated many times that overclocking (understandably), NOT rooting, voids the warranty. That rooting and the use of Preware is considered acceptible. So, I removed all signs of overclocking, but, having had Preware on my phone before, several times, and had it serviced successfully, I didn't anticipate an issue. Well, I got one.

Second, for the more technical of you out there, please refresh my memory... putting my phone in developer mode, and loading Preware, does NOT count as rooting, correct? I actually have to telnet into the root directory for that, and key in a string of commands, which I have never done with this phone.

I escalated this to customer retention, who were very clear that they were sticking by the voided warranty issue, even though it isn't, and that they would much rather say "we would hate to lose you as a customer," and then lose my 15 years and 4 lines worth of business, than actually give me what I want. The rep told me I could go to another Sprint repair center, and jump through the same hoops all over, if I don't like what I was told by the first store, and then talk to the manager if I had to. But, all I can see happening is another wasted day, where someone tries to fix my problem, and then reviews notes that say my phone was rooted and my warranty voided, and I am back at square one. Alternatively, they have offered me the privilege of spending more money and using my $150 new phone credit. Woo hoo.

So, what do I want out of this post, other than a chance to rant?

1) To warn all others that Sprint does not support the policies of Palm/HP, that neither rooting, nor Preware, voids the warranty.

2) to ask if anyone has actual documentation that supports that the warranty is not voided by this and

3) Any suggestions as to what I can do that will make it clear to them that having Preware does not mean rooting and that neither voids the warranty?

Frankly, it's about principle. Let's say I am 100% wrong about this whole thing, and many of you may feel that I am. Sometimes, you give a customer a pass when he has been a good, loyal customer. Even if the mistake is his. If Sprint is going to say, "your warranty is voided, we ain't budging, hate to see you go, but do what you gotta to," I'm going.

Thanks for "listening"
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Call Sprint and cuss at them for a while.
    Seriously. It'll make you feel so much better.
    Then pack up and move to another carrier.
    Leave them, enabling developer mode is not "rooting" per-se, and it does not go against HP's policies. Go to a carrier that will be supporting webOS and leave Sprint to die.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    fxspec06 likes this.
    This is exactly why WebOS Internals always advises people to use the webOS Doctor on their phone before taking it anywhere near HP, Palm or their carrier. In 99% of cases it will also fix your problem, or at least prove conclusively that it is a hardware problem.

As for Sprint, it's clear they want nothing to do with webOS phones and are simply trying to make you move onto a different phone or a different carrier.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/20/2011 at 10:21 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This community should not be angry at HP about Sprint's failures... they should be angry at Sprint, and this proves it.

Boycott Sprint. They're going to disappear soon enough anyway.
    All I can say is

what the heck Sprint

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I keep trying to come up with reasons to stay on Sprint, but after reading this I think my fate with Sprint is sealed. Really the only thing that could keep is the Pre3, but doesn't look like it'll happen. I just hope ATT won't be my only option for the new flagship phone.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I've been with Sprint for 11 years, and if this is the way of Sprints future, I say let them die the slow miserable death for which they have set themselves up. They had made strides in the past few years, but I have seen a decline in both customer service and network performance recently (not to mention poor hardware decisions). Dropped calls once defined
    Sprint. Six years ago I couldnt go a full day without dropping calls. It had improved, but the past 5 months have been wretched. Ironically, they blame my pre, yet my wifes Blackberry has the same issues.

How badly has Sprint screwed up? Enough that I'm giving up a 23% discount and my Premier Gold status to start over with Verizon. They lost 3 lines and a once very loyal customer.

Ron
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I'm glad I never had a warranty on my Sprint Pre phones. I got the first one used, then moved up to a Plus, and now I have a Pre 2. I wouldn't think of trying to return that... anywhere.

I'm not happy with Sprint over this, but I do have a sweet deal through a relative who works for them, more than sweet enough to stay.
    I was warned in the spring of 2010 that having Preware was an unauthorized modification (see post here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2324048)

My problem was the power button wasn't working and the sprint rep was cool (and used preware), so it wasn't an issue for me, but it seems to be a longstanding policy.
    Twitter: @nanotechgames
    I just went to sprint store in Richmond on Sunday. I was having issues with the refurbished pre touch screen not working after unhooking usb cable. It would work if you plugged the usb in regardless of if it was a powered cable or not. Finally fed up with dealing with that...it usually ended up with me hitting the phone to make it work, haha which it did 99.9% of the time.

Anyways, I took it there and the rep rebooted, saw the f105 Thunderchief boot screen and asked is that normal. To that I responded yes, and it is running HP webOS 2.1. I added that I had not backed up my data (lied I tried doctoring my phone many times to no resolve), so could you please not doctor my phone. The rep's response was that it was protocol to try and doctor first; to that I said I had numerous times. Rep said let me talk to the technician. He took a look said that the port was shorting, ordered my new replacement for 36 bucks. Done deal.

No word from them about voided warranty bs, sorry op.

I'll add that I don't have insurance on it and the factory warranty ended last month even though I just got the refurb last month.
    Ask them to show you, in writing, where this voids th warranty. A company cannot simply makeup warranties as they go.
    IGNTNUNLMTD and kill_dano like this.
    Also, make sure that they show you where using Developer Mode voids the warranty. Unless you were interfacing on a terminal I doubt you actually rooted your Pre.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Also, make sure that they show you where using Developer Mode voids the warranty. Unless you were interfacing on a terminal I doubt you actually rooted your Pre.
    Exactly my point (in fact, same for everyone, thank you). What puzzles me though, is, I am reasonably certain Sprint didn't get the Pre/Pixi, and then refuse all others. They were systematically passed over by Palm, and then HP. This makes me feel like it was initially Palm and HP that wronged me, as a Sprint WebOS user. So, while I will likely leave, I am reluctant to continue with WebOS, because I don't like working with anyone that screws me over, even if I love their product.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

In the mean time, I'm going to take the advice of retention, go to another store, and hope they do what I want. If not, I'm out when my plan is up, but I won't be buying a new phone and re-upping with them.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    I'm on my 3rd Pre-, and I'll be taking this in to get my 4th in a week or so (major cracks... again...). I *ALWAYS* Doctor my phone to 1.4.5 when I show it to them. ALWAYS. I also put the Palm stock battery in it so they see I've done "nothing" to it and it's "exactly" like when I originally bought it.

Frankly, shame on anyone who doesn't do this when they bring it in. It was part of "the deal" when we "agreed" to start using Homebrew. Rod (and others) said this sort of thing from the very beginning.

Pain in the rump? Yes.

Have I always gotten a new Pre- without question? YES.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 07/21/2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Exactly my point (in fact, same for everyone, thank you). What puzzles me though, is, I am reasonably certain Sprint didn't get the Pre/Pixi, and then refuse all others. They were systematically passed over by Palm, and then HP.
    You seem to have that relationship backwards.

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You seem to have that relationship backwards.

-- Rod
    From what I have been told by Sprint reps, and family that works for Sprint, it was Palm/HP that decided to use Sprint as the Beta tester, then go to larger Verizon and AT&T immediately afterward with the improved tech.

This seems to make for sense. Sprint was the big launch partner, had exclusivity for months, then, when that ended, Verizon got an upgraded series rather than coming in on a level playing field. In the mean time, the Pre and Pixi were still the flagship phones at Sprint, and actively being sold, but Sprint they never got the Plus series or any other.

I'm not doubting you, per say, just saying it seems strange, and counter to what I have read and been told. Why would Sprint dump the WebOS line before it ever got off the ground? Why would their reps tell us that Sprint got dumped, rather than taking a corporate stand on why THEY dumped WebOS?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 07/21/2011 at 11:11 AM.
    kmwheel, I suppose Sprint is a lost cause at this point, but you are not doing the community any favors when you are careless about the overclocking like that.
    Only thing keeping me on spring right now is google voice integration. Verizon get's that I'll probably switch.
    kill_dano likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    There's no such thing as 'rooting' a Pre. There's a nice article on WebOS Internals that explains this but none of the current WebOS devices run in any kind of 'jail' environment. The term rooting refers to the process of breaking out of this jail to access the underlying operating system. The devices are essentially already 'rooted' from the factory. Enabling developer mode does not enable root access, it simply enables additional device access via USB so you can install apps directly onto the device without going through the App Catalog.

But you can disable developer mode and still fire up Preware, install Terminal, and access the root OS. So even with developer mode off, it's still 'rooted'.

But Rod is right, you should always doctor your phone back to the officially supported WebOS version before taking it in so there's no possibility that they can accuse you of voiding any warranties.

-Jeremy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast