Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    From what I have been told by Sprint reps, it was Palm/HP that decided to use Sprint as the Beta tester, then go to larger Verizon and AT&T immediately afterward with the improved tech.

This seems to make for sense. Sprint was the big launch partner, had exclusivity for months, then, when that ended, Verizon got an upgraded series rather than coming in on a level playing field. In the mean time, the Pre and Pixi were still the flagship phones at Sprint, and actively being sold, but Sprint they never got the Plus series or any other.

I'm not doubting you, per say, just saying it seems strange, and counter to what I have read and been told. Why would Sprint dump the WebOS line before it ever got off the ground? Why would their reps tell us that Sprint got dumped, rather than taking a corporate stand on why they dumped WebOS?
    Weren't there a couple of carriers in Europe that started out with the original than updated to offer the Plus? I think a major part of this issue was with Sprint and likely them not wanting to re-negotiate their contract with Palm for the updated model.
    Quote Originally Posted by nytemyst View Post
    Only thing keeping me on spring right now is google voice integration. Verizon get's that I'll probably switch.
    Raises an interesting question. I have my sprint number as my google voice number. What happens if/when I leave sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    Raises an interesting question. I have my sprint number as my google voice number. What happens if/when I leave sprint?
    Just port your number to your new carrier so you can keep your number.
    Exactly my point (in fact, same for everyone, thank you). What puzzles me though, is, I am reasonably certain Sprint didn't get the Pre/Pixi, and then refuse all others. They were systematically passed over by Palm, and then HP. This makes me feel like it was initially Palm and HP that wronged me, as a Sprint WebOS user. So, while I will likely leave, I am reluctant to continue with WebOS, because I don't like working with anyone that screws me over, even if I love their product.
    Sorry Bro, but this is not correct. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you seem like a good guy.. but I can pretty much guarantee you that Palm/HP did not pass over Sprint. There is NO upside in them not being on any carrier that will accept them.

Perhaps the it past failing influenced the relationship, in which case they can be faulted for that. But I doubt that Sprint said 'I'll take your new phone' and HP said "NO". Unless the terms were so onerous that it wasn't financially feasible.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    Just port your number to your new carrier so you can keep your number.
    Actually, when you integrate with Google voice, the number becomes a Google voice number, no longer owned by Sprint. You can just cancel Sprint and keep the number on Google voice if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Actually, when you integrate with Google voice, the number becomes a Google voice number, no longer owned by Sprint. You can just cancel Sprint and keep the number on Google voice if you want.
    You still get an ETF from sprint.. A contract is a contract..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    From what I have been told by Sprint reps, and family that works for Sprint,
    I would not be surprised if that is the story which is told within Sprint.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would not be surprised if that is the story which is told within Sprint.

-- Rod
    Shoot, they don't tell us peeons ANYTHING! I wish I could get a straight answer from management or the executives, but there's no way that's going to happen outside of the people that make those decisions.
    Exactly my point (in fact, same for everyone, thank you). What puzzles me though, is, I am reasonably certain Sprint didn't get the Pre/Pixi, and then refuse all others. They were systematically passed over by Palm, and then HP. This makes me feel like it was initially Palm and HP that wronged me, as a Sprint WebOS user. So, while I will likely leave, I am reluctant to continue with WebOS, because I don't like working with anyone that screws me over, even if I love their product.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

In the mean time, I'm going to take the advice of retention, go to another store, and hope they do what I want. If not, I'm out when my plan is up, but I won't be buying a new phone and re-upping with them.
    Actually it was Sprint that decided not to go with webOS. The even stated that recently
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    [QUOTE=sketch42;3039733]You still get an ETF from sprint.. A contract is a contract..

Nobody is talking about contracts or ETF's... The question was about keeping the number...

-Jeremy
    I'm glad I'm not on sprint.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sorry Bro, but this is not correct. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you seem like a good guy.. but I can pretty much guarantee you that Palm/HP did not pass over Sprint. There is NO upside in them not being on any carrier that will accept them.

Perhaps the it past failing influenced the relationship, in which case they can be faulted for that. But I doubt that Sprint said 'I'll take your new phone' and HP said "NO". Unless the terms were so onerous that it wasn't financially feasible.

C
    So, it only appears, due to the timing of things, that Sprint got cut off before they barely got started? Interesting. Given Palm users stalwart devotion in general, and the incredibly large population of WebOS users within their ranks, it seems counter intuitive to assume that we would be happy to just pick another platform. It's a gamble, to be sure.

By the way... I took the advice of the retention rep I spoke to, went to another repair facility, and they fixed my phone. So, guessing this wouldn't have happened if the warranty was considered void.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I'm curious at how deep the Google/Sprint number integration goes. My Pre- basically doesn't have my old phone number. Someone calls they get routed to Google who then routes the communication/text to my phone via ... ??? what identifier ??? My ESN?

I wonder what happens if a Google help forum admin decides I'm evil and need my Google account suspended for posting bad things about him (which has happened to others). Does my phone stop working?

Oh well. I'll just drink the vodka and koolaid and love Google.

Cause the dark side has vodka.
    So, it only appears, due to the timing of things, that Sprint got cut off before they barely got started? Interesting. Given Palm users stalwart devotion in general, and the incredibly large population of WebOS users within their ranks, it seems counter intuitive to assume that we would be happy to just pick another platform. It's a gamble, to be sure.
    I think you are seriously overestimating (perhaps by two to three orders of magnitude, maybe more) the number of webOS devices sold by Sprint compared to the "other platform".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think you are seriously overestimating (perhaps by two to three orders of magnitude, maybe more) the number of webOS devices sold by Sprint compared to the "other platform".

-- Rod
    There is no "other platform". They just don't know it yet.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    You may want to read, what Rod and HardBeatZ said about "rooting" in this old thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2691789
    Just a note:

I got back from the local Sprint Store earlier putting in a request for another replacement. I doctored to 1.4.5 and signed in with a BS profile. I brought it to the store, the guy looked at it (standard Pre physical issues - busted USB door, screen cracks, power button broke, some keys not working right), and said "OK! It should be in tomorrow.".

I Doctored to 1.4.5 (and put in my Palm Stock battery) *BEFORE* I left for the mall for Sprint to look at it, and my "new" one is coming tomorrow.

Just a note I thought I'd mention to NEVER do what pelikan3 did.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 08/06/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    "You seem to have that relationship backwards"
    Nope, as a former Sprint employee, I can assure you that he did not have the relationship backwards. Palm, then HP decided to bypass Sprint. Sprint would love to have current and future WebOS devices, I promise you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdgates View Post
    "You seem to have that relationship backwards"
    Nope, as a former Sprint employee, I can assure you that he did not have the relationship backwards. Palm, then HP decided to bypass Sprint. Sprint would love to have current and future WebOS devices, I promise you.
    Do you have any evidence to support this? This seems like something the head honchos at Sprint would *want* their employees to think. However if it defines all logic, it's probably not true. Palm/HP would have made a significant amount of money by offering Sprint users an upgrade path. Instead they lost most of them to Android.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    What if the difficulty between HP and Sprint at this point is that Sprint demanded exclusivity for the Pre 3 due to previous agreements between Palm and Sprint, and HP did not go for it. Sprint had been the exclusive for many Palm devices, so expected to be given favored status, and HP denied it. Sprint people may have gotten on their high horses and just shut down negotiations, and here we are.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast