1.    #1  
    Hi folks.

I would like to report a strange phenomenon and get your opinion.

I bought a new USB cable for "HP Pre" and noticed the following with battery monitor/Govnah:
    When I use the new cable the battery is charging with a current of about 50 mA but when I use the cable delivered with the Pre the battery charges at 250/350 mA !!! On the same PC and USB port!

How can a cable have such an influence on the charging current???

P.S. When I connect the new cable to the charger, it does not seem to charge the battery at all!!!
    Last edited by AndiG63; 07/20/2011 at 01:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    Hi folks.

I would like to report a strange phenomenon and get your opinion.

I bought a new USB cable for "HP Pre" and noticed the following with battery monitor/Govnah:
    When I use the new cable the battery is charging with a current of about 50 mA but when I use the cable delivered with the Pre the battery charges at 250/350 mA !!! On the same PC and USB port!

How can a cable have such an influence on the charging current???

P.S. When I connect the new cable to the charger, it does not seem to charge the battery at all!!!
    may be I should also use battery monitor. I have observed that battery charges quiet fast with original cable. I bought two cheap cables from ebay. Both these cables were charging the battery, may be slowly, but both started failing after a week or so. Being an electrical engineer, my conclusion is that the contacts inside the micro USB connector are really tiny and if they are not gold plated or if they are of inferior quality (dimensional and with respect to material quality) there is a very high possibility of them developing a bit higher contact resistance. A few more ohms of contact resistance shall make the cable useless.
    Last edited by jmdesai; 12/17/2011 at 05:35 AM.
    After disecting the two bad cables, my conclusion has changed a bit. The real culprit is not so much the tiny connectors, the quality of copper conductor itself was very very bad in one of the cables, and probably where copper is soldered to the connector pins. The other cable had problem, surprisingly on USB side and not on micro USB side.

But the original cable that comes with the device is just fantastic. It charges at about 400mA.
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB