Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I'm late to the Pre party but finally arrived with a Sprint Pre - (long story. Let's just say I got lost). I have a lot to catch up on, but I would love to hear your top 3 - 5 recommendations for what I ought to be thinking about.

For instance, should I jump right in with the homebrew community? (what are the essential apps in your view?) Should I update the OS? Should I go the frankenpre route and try to find a Pre+ somewhere? (That might be beyond my tech abilities, but I'd be willing to consider trying...).

Thanks for taking a moment to reflect and help welcome a new member!
    Welcome to PreCentral and the world of webOS. You are a little late to the party but that's ok. I still have my original Pre on Sprint since Sept. 09, and I still love it. You have a lot to learn and all you need to know can be found right here in these forums.
    Get to know your phone, then get Preware. Read through the forums and you will find the answers to anything else you need to know. Enjoy your Pre!

Oh! and go here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...e-welcome.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thanks so much, vza33! Great to know I'm in good company rocking an original Pre. I look forward to checking out the link (and the one in your signature). Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by reltm View Post
    Thanks so much, vza33! Great to know I'm in good company rocking an original Pre. I look forward to checking out the link (and the one in your signature). Thanks again!
    Anytime!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Homebrew is the way to go!

I'm not quite sure where, but you can search on precentral on how to download preware and get it installed on your pre. Believe me when I say it makes a HUGE difference. With preware you get access to hundreds of patches that improve the functionality of your phone, themes, homebrew apps, and most importantly, overclocking. The stock pre can often feel very sluggish, but with the uberkernel overclock installed, the processor speed is doubled and your pre becomes much more powerful. I would just google "precentral preware" and get it installed on our phone ASAP.
    if it wasn't for preware I would not have a pre- right now. Thank you ROB.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    So it's been a day and the honeymoon isn't over yet, but I can see why one might say webOS 1.4.5 on a Sprint Pre feels merely adequate. I'll be checking out preware in the next couple days, particularly for making things snappier (just want to continue exploring the stock options a bit more to really get to know it).

What is the best way to search for apps? For instance, I'm concerned about battery life and overclocking so I want to find a decent battery app. Is the App Catalog on the Pre the only way to search for apps? I can search google for "battery site:developer.palm.com/appredirect" and see some apps, but there are no reviews on the page...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
    Welcome to P|C and WebOS!

My first recommendation would be to install Preware. Not only will that give you more apps and tons of patches, but it will also enable you to overclock. Not only is the stock Pre sluggish but it also has the dredded "To many cards" hassle. Overclocking will 99.9% eliminate that! I had both my Pre and my wife's Pre overclocked with Uberkernel for a long time. Then I switched to the F102a Delta Dagger Kernel. Same functionality of the UberKernel but with less bloat.

As far as battery life, yea the stock battery isn't going to get you very far. We both use the Seidio 2600 mAh battery

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thanks again for the great recommendations. I installed Preware yesterday morning and it's like switching on a light in a dim room. Uberkernal running with the screenstate 500/800 profile makes it much snappier. And access to Dr. Battery and FreeTether were very welcome. The new battery (supposedly OEM) arrived yesterday and it had double the capacity of the old battery.

There are tons of things to like about this phone, and webOS in particular. It is clear a ton of detail oriented thinking went into the design of it.

This is my first smartphone and I'm really appreciative of the support from p|c members. Thank you!
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying life with WebOS!

Now that you have Preware installed, I thought of 2 more recommendations...
    1. Take advantage of the "Saved Packages List" in the Preware menu
    2. Install (and remember to use) "Save & Restore" available thru Peware

Both recommendations will make your life much easier if you ever have to Doctor or replace your device. Just learn from my mistake... make sure you update the Saved Packages List BEFORE you use Save & Restore to back up otherwise you will end up Restoring an incorrect list in Preware.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.